Driveline Snatch & Stalling

PEPPERONI BROS.

Good photo, and thanks :thumbsup: ..... but is there any chance you can somehow transfer your design to an engineering drawing with measurements?

At the very least, if you could photograph the new cam sitting on top of some grid/graph paper with known spacing of the lines, we could interpolate the approximate contour/size.

One question though, it seems that with the increased radial distance from the pivot at idle, the transition would be even sharper/"snatchier" at low RPM throttle settings... although this is exactly the opposite of what you describe :huh2:

But I believe you, just working it out mentally :P

I think this would be a great option for many folks that have complained of this issue as well, and would be great if we could get it drawn up so someone could take it down to their local machine shop and have it made from aluminum/steel.

Thanks again :D

al

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ratchethack
Good photo, and thanks  :thumbsup: ..... but is there any chance you can somehow transfer your design to an engineering drawing with measurements?

At the very least, if you could photograph the new cam sitting on top of some grid/graph paper with known spacing of the lines, we could interpolate the approximate contour/size.

Al, I'd be more'n happy to oblige, but I'm worse than a novice with drawing software. :blush:  I don't think a shot of it on graph paper would help much either.  This thing isn't rocket science, and doesn't need to be precise, as you have some leeway to adjust it at the grip end of the cable.  Essentially, the cam profile I wound up with uses the OEM cam curve, it's just moved outward.  What you get is a "progressive" cam curve similar to a spiral (ref. Archimedes, but absolutely no need to get overly technical here!).  As noted, the radius was lengthened by 18 mm perpendicular to the throttle cable at idle position.  I fudged the curve by "eye" to make it smooth.  One thing I learned after my first attempt is to cut the cable slot (I used a hand saw) very shallow to start with, and cut it deeper as needed by trial & errror re-fits to add enough slack to get it within adjustment range.

One question though, it seems that with the increased radial distance from the pivot at idle, the transition would be even sharper/"snatchier" at low RPM throttle settings... although this is exactly the opposite of what you describe  :huh2:

You got it backwards, Al.  It works just the opposite way at the grip end :thumbsup:

But I believe you, just working it out mentally  :P 

Put one hand on the throttle grip and the other on the cam at the TB and think about it as you twist.  That'll get you oriented.

I think this would be a great option for many folks that have complained of this issue as well, and would be great if we could get it drawn up so someone could take it down to their local machine shop and have it made from aluminum/steel.

If you want, I'll fab one up and send it to you, that way you can test it and if you like it, you can take it past "prototype".  I suspect the thing has enough complexity in it to make it cost-prohibitive, but Hey - you might get enough takers to sell 2 or 3 of 'em at an outrageous price to offset the cost of a nicely anodized aluminum machine-shop version for yourself!.  LMK

Thanks again  :D

al

37757[/snapback]

Guest ratchethack

Thanks so much for the offer :bier:

al

I'll see if I can get one out to you before the holiday crunch (Hey - it COULD happen!) :grin:

This has maybe not to do with this topic, but I ask at all the Yankees and surrogates (Canadian or whatever),

What does it mean "pepperoni"?

That is the funny name of the guy (or the girl) that has begun this topic. I am multi language but don't have any idea about "pepperoni"

37769[/snapback]

Antonio - I thought it was an essential ingredient of any pizza !! :grin:

Ken

This has maybe not to do with this topic, but I ask at all the Yankees and surrogates (Canadian or whatever),

What does it mean "pepperoni"?

That is the funny name of the guy (or the girl) that has begun this topic. I am multi language but don't have any idea about "pepperoni"

37769[/snapback]

Pepperoni: a heavily spiced, extremely low-quality type of salami used in cheap American fast-food pizza. Quality pizza maker refuse to use it, offering proper spicy Italian sausage or better quality salami as available toppings. See pepperoni also under the heading: "How to turn your pizza into a greasy, revolting mess."

:bbblll:

..... I'm no pizza elitist, and as such am a huge fan of Pepperoni  :P:

:D

37796[/snapback]

:food: Boy, I really started something here! I made up the name "Pepperoni Bros." out at Bonneville as the Cooked Goose team was falling apart. I guess it had something to do with the fact that I won't go out to the salt without 1-6 sticks of Margherita Pepperoni that my brother [new Guzzi owner!] sends me from my ancestral homelands of upstate NY. I love cappicola too, but it is hard to get out west. This site is great, I'm being well prepared for the V11 bugaboo's. Right now, my Mille GT is on eBay, I've sold a bunch of music gear, all to get my hands on this Sport! I'm looking forward to trying some of these fixes, and hopefully will be able to contribute a few of my own, once I get more used to "the modern world"

Have fun, Tom :cheese:

The Cooked Goose Team "fell apart"??

I noticed that they hadn't updated the page in a long time, but didn't realize the team has dissolved  :blink:

al

37804[/snapback]

:homer: That's because everyone agreed not to talk about it, my mouth always gets me in trouble. I guess I'll just say that after the '02 world finals, Sidney took his balls and went home.Cooked Goose is pretty much his baby now. :huh2: Tom

Hrmm, well they ought to at least update the page(or community) with some sort of status....  :unsure:

That's my opinion anyway  :D

Sorry to hear that they are on indeterminate hiatus  :(

al

37822[/snapback]

What he said. Altho', it *does* leave the whole l.s.r. Guzzi thing open to other Guzzisti who want to give the Cooked Goose thang a run for the money. Betcha there's enuff expertise here on v11LeMans to give them/him a run for it...

;)

What he said. Altho', it *does* leave the whole l.s.r. Guzzi thing open to other Guzzisti who want to give the Cooked Goose thang a run for the money. Betcha there's enuff expertise here on v11LeMans to give them/him a run for it...

;)

37833[/snapback]

:mg: I ran into the specs on Al's bike on another site, I wonder if he would volunteer to, say, enter the BUB AMA meet next September in the 1350 P-PP class, I bet it would give those Buells a run for their money! Although, believe me, they have a lot of money. I would be happy to share what I've learned out on the salt. It's a heap of fun, but Very addictive. On a personal note, my Mille GT sold along with a bunch of music gear, I'm closing in on that Sport! :bike: