Driveline Snatch & Stalling

PEPPERONI BROS.

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The oem handgrips on my 2004 LM seem unusually small both for comfort as well as finite throttle control. A fix in addition to ratchethack's excellent solution might be to try a bit larger grip like the Oury Road Grips. Larger diameter for the hands= more twist leverage, better control, slightly less throttle cable movement for the same given hand movement.

Guest Brian Robson
The oem handgrips on my 2004 LM seem unusually small both for comfort as well as finite throttle control.  A fix in addition to ratchethack's excellent solution might be to try a bit larger grip like the Oury Road Grips.  Larger diameter for the hands= more twist leverage, better control, slightly less throttle cable movement for the same given hand movement.

48313[/snapback]

:!: :!:

How, if the internal diameter of the throttle is the same and the rubber grip is glued to the body, are you increasing the leverage?

Also how do you equate more leverage and less throttle cable movement?

you can have one or the other but not both. I'm guessing, but I think txrider means more control with a larger grip. The throttle moves the same amount unless the cam at the throttle bodies is changed. I found the stock grips too small on my bike, and I changed them out to something larger. Now, I have a lot more control with grips that fit my hand (no crude jokes, please). It's like finding a baseball bat that fits- it just works better.

:!:  :!:

How, if the internal diameter of the throttle is the same and the rubber grip is glued to the body, are you increasing the leverage?

Also how do you equate more leverage and less throttle cable movement?

48323[/snapback]

Brian, I think of it like one circle (the throttle grip) being inside another circle (hand grip diameter). The larger the outside circle, the more hand movement required for the same amount of throttle barrel movement. No relative change, both are still fixed. Plus the larger diameter of the new grip serves as a longer lever ( od further from the pivot center of the bar) for better control.

I'm good at offering complex answers for simple solutions, bear with me here and I hope I've offered a better explanation for my original suggestion.

Guest Brian Robson

So the outer circle i.e. the grip, has a longer distance to travel to move the throttle cable by the same amount. That gives a mechanical disadvantage as opposed to advantage. I don't see where the leverage equation applies. Its simply a comfort issue

A less remote and more precise throttle movement would be available if the grip were smaller in diameter, thats why thinner grips offer a more direct feel.

Ask yourself if the thicker grips offered any mechanical advantage and more precise control, why aren't Rossi's grips thickly padded?...maybe Biaggi's are :P:P

So the outer circle i.e. the grip, has a longer distance to travel to move the throttle cable by the same amount. That gives a mechanical disadvantage as opposed to advantage. I don't see where the leverage equation applies. Its simply a comfort issue

A less remote and more precise throttle movement would be available if the grip were smaller in diameter, thats why thinner grips offer a more direct feel.

Ask yourself if the thicker grips offered any mechanical advantage and more precise control, why aren't Rossi's grips thickly padded?...maybe Biaggi's are :P  :P

48510[/snapback]

"So the outer circle i.e. the grip, has a longer distance to travel to move the throttle cable by the same amount."

Correct, larger circumference, more distance to move.

"That gives a mechanical disadvantage as opposed to advantage. I don't see where the leverage equation applies."

If you define mechanical advantage as requiring less effort, remember, the lever is longer (larger diameter gip) so it is easier to turn.

As for Rossi and the GP riders I think you'll agree ther're in a whole other class, with the best equipment money can buy, and I have no idea what they use on grips, but I imagine it's whatever pleases them.

Look, all I am suggesting is that one way to add a measure of precision and smoothness to throttle control is to try a larger diameter grip. I've done this, it works as I described but as many other details on bikes it's a matter of personal preference what one uses.

Guest Brian Robson

We might just argue all night on this one, you see it, and I don't. You like thicker grips and I think thin is the way to go. Such is life :bier:

We might just argue all night on this one, you see it, and I don't. You like thicker grips and I think thin is the way to go. Such is life :bier:

48624[/snapback]

Well, I'm not real big on thick grips, just that the originals that come on the Guzzi seem particularly thin and replacements might provide better control. It's as you say, two different perspectives.

You seem to have got a thing going with your modified throttle cam. :drink:

As for thicker grips, you might just be able to kill two birds with one handlebar, as a thicker grip would be easier to hold with leather gloves; and yes, a thicker grip would make it easier to adjust throttle openings finely. You have to look at the travel at the circle of the handle, which is where your hand is. The larger the radius on the handle (the thicker the grip), the larger the physical movement on the arc, for the same degree of movement=throttle opening. It really all comes down to gearing, really.

Maybe a nicely padded set of grips would improve things nicely and kill some of the "power trembles" (vibrations, for non-Harley guys) as well :bike:

Well, if anyone gets the earlier described throttle cam on paper, I'd like a copy...one of the things I like least is the change of line in turns...PCIII helped it a little bit, but still need to tiker with it. k

I have something similar. I just fed up the slot from about 8mm at center to approx. 1.2 at the tip (just enough for the wire) with a plywood strip. I think this is way enough, because more would make it impossible to open the throttle with one grip. I had to enlarge the mounting hole in the center of course, now it looks a bit like the one from the throttle sensor.

Hubert