Pea Soup in the Gearbox

slug

Got an '03 v11 Sport. Lately its been spewing small amounts of gearbox oil out the vent at the top of the gearbox (usually right after jumping a row of school buses :D ) and drips on the x-over for that sweet, heavenly burning oil stench (or is that new cologne, Dexron for Men?) Anyhoo, looking at the gearbox oil thru the little window, it looks different, foamy-like, pea-soupish. Moisture in there for sure... :angry: Took it to the shop (yes, I'd do it myself if I didn't have to live in an apartment), they drained and refilled the gearbox w/new oil. They said a little moisture in there is ok and won't kill anything. Less than a week later, its back to pea soup and spewy as ever.

Anyone else have this problem? Why, yes, I DO live in Seattle so I ride in the rain a fair amount (checked the hugger and its intact). Unfortunately, I have to keep it outside (I keep it covered).

Thanx all.

Guest MotoMessiah
Got an '03 v11 Sport.  Lately its been spewing small amounts of gearbox oil out the vent at the top of the gearbox (usually right after jumping a row of school buses  :D ) and drips on the x-over for that sweet, heavenly burning oil stench (or is that new cologne, Dexron for Men?)  Anyhoo, looking at the gearbox oil thru the little window, it looks different, foamy-like, pea-soupish.  Moisture in there for sure...  :angry: Took it to the shop (yes, I'd do it myself if I didn't have to live in an apartment), they drained and refilled the gearbox w/new oil.  They said a little moisture in there is ok and won't kill anything.  Less than a week later, its back to pea soup and spewy as ever.

Anyone else have this problem?  Why, yes, I DO live in Seattle so I ride in the rain a fair amount (checked the hugger and its intact).  Unfortunately, I have to keep it outside (I keep it covered).

Thanx all.

37440[/snapback]

I'm pretty sure it could be that water is getting in the breather hose of the gear box. There is a thread(s) here somewhere under which heading I don't know however that covers it. I believe that water is kicked in by the rear tire (just under the hugger I believe) onto the breather hose. Some here have made a plastic cover that mounts infront acting like a small fender preventing water seeping in.

I'm pretty sure it could be that water is getting in the breather hose of the gear box. There is a thread(s) here somewhere under which heading I don't know however that covers it. I believe that water is kicked in by the rear tire (just under the hugger I believe) onto the breather hose. Some here have made a plastic cover that mounts infront acting like a small fender preventing water seeping in.

37441[/snapback]

Sweet. I'm all for McGyvering... Any excuse to play with tools and sharp pointy things. I'll post pics if it turns out better than a Homer Simpson spice rack. :homer:

- Slvg

Another suggestion/thought was to pry off the cap of the breather, and simply attach/clamp a hose running up into a higher location in the frame.

I think someone else also replaced the breather with a simple brass barb fitting(by comparing thread/gauge with the rear bevel breather for sizing) and again ran a hose up high, away from any potential water exposure.

Anyway, just an alternative :D

I can't confirm that my triangle shield stops water intrusion, although as far as I know, it hasn't been a problem since.

al

Another suggestion/thought was to pry off the cap of the breather, and simply attach/clamp a hose running up into a higher location in the frame.

I think someone else also replaced the breather with a simple brass barb fitting(by comparing thread/gauge with the rear bevel breather for sizing) and again ran a hose up high, away from any potential water exposure.

Anyway, just an alternative  :D

al

37489[/snapback]

Good alternative. I removed the breather plug, pried the cap off and went to town on that thing. I soldered a short piece of 1/4" O.D. copper tubing in to the plug (made sure that solder didn't plug the hole.) The tube sticks up about 1/2" out the top of the plug. Put the plug back in and attached a section of thick hose (chose the thick heater-type hose, less likely to pinch closed on tighter bends.) Ran the hose almost up to the seat area. I placed the end of the hose away from the tire. It actually looks halfway professional.

The only bad part was that I had to remove the hugger to get wrenchin' room to get the plug off. The bike looks a lot better w/out the hugger... My next project is to shield the battery tray and the gaping hole left by the Feracci fender eliminator. :)

- Slug