Rossa Mandello Good Buy?

Guest Michael Derby

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Rosso Mandello fans

I own one of these bikes. So far it has clocked up over 7000 trouble free miles. Including attending the V11 rally organised by Jaap. The RM always attracts admiring comment from riders and the public alike. I first saw these bikes at the National Bike Show in 2001 and thought them the most attractive bikes regardless of cost.

The crinkle paint finnish does bubble but it remains hard. Some contributors suggest that you can get the factory to replace the cases but if the bike is running fine do you really want to strip down the whole engine?

My clutch has done a lot of work in heavy traffic all over Europe and is troublefree.

The handling on these short wheelbase bikes is a bit lively at the front. After my BMW GS and a couple of Ducatis it is not as planted but pumping up the tyres...mine are Michelin Pilot Sports...by ten percent firms things up.

I may consider a red anodised handlebar conversion in the spring. This would improve both handling and comfort. I was going to return to Ducati but I have decided to stay with the RM for the forseeable future.

Richard

:D

Hello. The Rosso Mandello is a great bike, i bought it this spring, and before it joined up along with the other christmas decorations in my living room after 7000 km.s it has done nothing wrong at all. I have spiced it up with an exhaust system from mistral including the crossover, othervise it is standard.

greetings, Mogens.

38796[/snapback]

If only I could get away with keeping mine nice n warm in the living room.......

I've noticed you have a grab bar fitted, looks good,who supplied it please.

I luv mine....its gggreat.

:)

Hi Rosso Mandello fans

I own one of these bikes. So far it has clocked up over 7000 trouble free miles. Including attending the V11 rally organised by Jaap. The RM always attracts admiring comment from riders and the public alike. I first saw these bikes at the National Bike Show in 2001 and thought them the most attractive bikes regardless of cost.

The crinkle paint finnish does bubble but it remains hard. Some contributors suggest that you can get the factory to replace the cases but if the bike is running fine do you really want to strip down the whole engine?

My clutch has done a lot of work in heavy traffic all over Europe and is troublefree.

The handling on these short wheelbase bikes is a bit lively at the front. After my BMW GS and a couple of Ducatis it is not as planted but pumping up the tyres...mine are Michelin Pilot Sports...by ten percent firms things up.

I may consider a red anodised handlebar conversion in the spring. This would improve both handling and comfort. I was going to return to Ducati but I have decided to stay with the RM for the forseeable future.

Richard

38947[/snapback]

I wouldnt part with mine.......

I also first saw the bike at the NEC show but although I kept going back for another look it was priced too dearly for me...However the seed had been sown and a year or so later my local guzzi dealer still had a rosso sitting in his showroom....he kindly lent me his demo v1100sport to get a feel for the guzzi way.

I rode the v1100 for 24hrs and was taken by its character,so different from my 1200 suzuki bandit!! However the dealer wouldnt budge on the ticket price of the rosso so I left it in the showroom....Months later a rosso turned up in MCN and I raced up north with a van and cash,I returned with a used rosso with only 300miles on it!! a bargain!! was I pleased or what!! However after returning from my first ride on it it caught fire due to a fuel leak and burned my garage down....

hmmmmm,its that guzzzi character thing again!!

I struggled to get its replacment value from my insurers as I had only insured it for what i had paid for it....you try and find another to replace it unless its brand new,and you try to find another new one!! Hey guess what.....my local dealer still had the one in his showroom and he had just given up the franchise...he was ready to do a deal!!

so I added a little more cash and rode away on a new rosso albeit with 90miles on it{demo ride I was told)...bullshit this was later found to be.

so,how many other people have owned two rosso's? not many I am sure..

( I do know of one other who has had two,Sally who lives in France! She lent hers to someone who unfortunately dropped it up the road...OOOOOOPS ARNO!!)

Everyone who has one is pleased with them despite the problems with relays,clutches,crackle black paint and others beside...

On the subject of Guzzi building more than 300, these of course would not have the numbered plate or the certificate would they? Mine incidently did not have numbered plates only limited edition certificates (UK bikes).

HAPPY CHRISTMAS TO ALL YOU ROSSO PEOPLE OUT THERE, take care...andy

Mine incidently did not have numbered plates only limited edition certificates (UK bikes).

Curious to know what the limited edition certificates say on them. The numbered bikes had the VIN # and the limited #. How could it be a limited Rosso Mandello without a serial number?

I can try and scan my certificate to show what the numbered models have.

I like my Rosso...despite it's occassional kinkiness. Tell you buddy to buy it if he likes it...motorcycles are about how they make you feel anyway. My is numbered, but the previous owner made off with the certificate...not sure why, as it doesn't go with his purple fat boy and spitoon helmet with mickey mouse painted on it...wierd. Once you smash bugs all over it, no one will notice the crackle paint on the engine and Guzzi will take care of the gearbox. I changed mine to Michelin Roads for a little more tire mileage as I am less inclined to exercise the bike to the point of needing the real hot rod tires. Oh, and it's fast...and it almost always stops people in their tracks until you start up and ride away. k

Yeah, I've got 13K miles on my Rosso (#049) and I still love it. K&Ns, Stucchi x-over, Mistral pipes, PCIII, etc. For anyone who cares about such things, of the 300 numbered RMs, I heard that 63 had been sold in the US as well as another 20 of the un-numbered "extra" limited edition ones. I saw some RMs in Japan and was told that only un-numbered models were brought in to that country. I have been compiling a list of VINs for the numbered Rossos. Here's what I have so far (send me an e-mail: clevenson2@aol.com if you'd like to add your numbers to the list):

046 ZGUKRAKR11M113947

049 ZGUKRAKR61M113961

050 ZGUKRAKR41M113943

072 ZGUKRAKR01M113941

074 ZGUKRAKR51M113952

101 ZGUKRAKR81M113945

102 ZGUKRAKR01M113938

111 ZGUKRAKR91M113954

184 ZGUKRAKR91M113968

232 ZGUKRAKR21M114122

237 ZGUKRAKR71M114116

242 ZGUKRAKR61M114124

244 ZGUKRAKR01M114118

269 ZGUKRAKR41M114106

273 ZGUKRAKR51M114101

That's wierd...there's my serial number! I spent a couple of months looking at new bikes and have decided to buy a Power Commander and Stucchi x-over instead...just can't find anything I like better. :bike: k

Mines there too (I sent it to him). I just ditched my Mistral crossover and put on the Stucchi. Without any PCIII change and poor driving conditions it seemed better on the top end. I have FBF 11:1 pistons and that fills in the midrange big time anyways but I liked the top end feel already. Can't wait to try the MY15M and dial it in in the new year!

Guest rosso mandello
If only I could get away with keeping mine nice n warm in the living room.......

I've noticed you have a grab bar fitted, looks good,who supplied it please.

I luv mine....its gggreat.

39049[/snapback]

Hey. sorry for my late reply.

I ordered my grap bar by AGOSTINIS in Mandello, you can find it on the net.

Mogens. :bike:

A very few of the (early?) '01s had the con-ron bolts replaced under recall. If you didn't get a notice and your mechanic didn't do it along with the tranny, it probably didn't need it. My '01 only got the tranny done. I can't recall what the problem was exactly- material defect maybe? :rasta:

Jason