MY15M

Baldini

Hi Juha,

I was thinking about buying a new narrow band sensor and mount it instead of the one I have now. This probably has more then 100,000 km, I have removed the tip-cover and welded the whole thing on a drilled M12 bolt. These parts were all that I had at hand when I decided that that was the sunday to bring it to an end. Then I looked around and found that new sensors are not cheap at all! Ebay sells them for approx. 50,- Euros, shops not below 100,-. Still using such a probe means "living on the edge". Look alone at the effects different temperatures have, especially at the wanted 0.8 volts.

I now bought a kit from tech-edge, that comes complete with controler, cable, Bosch LSU4, display and logging software for about 250,- Euros when I remember right. It is on its way now since more than 2 weeks, the money is paid even longer. The main reason to buy it besides the better accuracy was the option to use it also on other, Dell'Orto bikes.

I will tell you when this stuff finally has arrived...

Hubert

Baldini - Ideally you would send me a donor ECU. It doesn't have to be working. I take the case, connector and pressure sensor from the donor. These should be easier to find than the 16M as some aftermarket exhaust systems ship with an replacement ECU.

I'll start to look around myself also and keep a few on hand. At the moment I have one available thanks to Carl. Carl has been able to get 3 quite cheaply on EBAY.

Lex - Ideally you'd have a sensor and independant correction for each cyclinder. This is probable only feasible for racing. On the road its probably not worth the expense. The new bikes have it located on the crossover. The sensor needs to be hot to work. Most sensors now have a heater and can be located away from the headers.

I now bought a kit from tech-edge, that comes complete with controler, cable, Bosch LSU4, display and logging software for about 250,- Euros when I remember right.

I will tell you when this stuff finally has arrived...

37906[/snapback]

Hello Hubert,

Yes, the wideband sensor is much better, but sofar I though that it would be also very much more expensive. 250 EUR does not sound very bad, even if here in Finland I can get a new 4-wire heated narrowband sensor from a car parts shop with 45 EUR.

Please, share your impressions with us when you get the Tech-Edge sensor.

br, JuhaV

Hello Hubert,

Please, share your impressions with us when you get the Tech-Edge sensor.

br, JuhaV

37911[/snapback]

Hi Juha e.a.,

Saturday the Techedge WBO2 kit arrived. After some weeks it finally passed through our customs. I had to pay another 16% taxes.

The kit comes in surprisingly good condition. The parts are all labeled by someone by hand, are complete and are packed individually for the display, the cable and so on.

The housing components are ready drilled and machined, also very very accurate. Besides that some parts or cables are bit tiny and you so have to be carefull with them it is really a pleasure to build up the kit.

It is the same with the instructions. Well done and with lots of pictures, there is even one where most of the parts are individually pictured in case you cannot make a difference between resistors and capacitors. Anyway, it's been the first time I had to deal with a thermal resistor, so it was helpfull indeed.

Sunday night I had finished it, and guess what: I powered it up and all worked as it should! The display shows something about 45, but when I hold the probe in a butan stream it goes down to 25 or so, holding it in a butan flame shows values down to 10. I played not much with it like this, because the probe tip gets red quite easily this way.

BTW, Cliff announced support for controlled wide-band sensors like this (0-5V) and also further improvements for the autotune capabilities of my1Xm, so for me it was already enough winter this season...

Hubert

Thanks Luhbo,

I visited the Techedge www-pages and it really seems that if one needs reasonably priced wideband sensor that might be the way to go. Your first impressions confirm that they have decent products with nice price/quality ratio.

I think that it might be possible to program their lambda system to give out 0-1 Volts, but if Cliff will provide 0-5 V input range for the sensor in My1XM that is even better.

Techedge seems to also offer some miniature version especially for motorcycle use. It does not have those datalogging capabilities but with My1XM you don't really need those, because the ECU can be used to do the datalogging instead.

br, JuhaV

I think that it might be possible to program their lambda system to give out 0-1 Volts, but if Cliff will provide 0-5 V input range for the sensor in My1XM that is even better.

Techedge seems to also offer some miniature version especially for motorcycle use.  It does not have those datalogging capabilities but with My1XM you don't really need those, because the ECU can be used to do the datalogging instead.

br, JuhaV

38091[/snapback]

The 2AO system already has a simulated narrow-band output from 0 to 1 Volt. I think I can use it just instead of the signal cable of my actual probe.

I bought this unit, because first it was available, second it is DIY and probably a good bit cheaper, and third because I can use this together with its logging capabilities on my other bikes, too. The next will be the Laverdas of my fellows, so the price for it really goes ok!

Hubert