48 state model or not

Guest scottd132

Guest scottd132

Does anyone know if a bike bought in Washington state can be registered in CA, I have a buyer for my 2001 V11 but it is in CA and he does not know if he will be able to register it there.

Thanks in advance

Scott :bier:

Yes, since MG is a relatively small manufacturer, they do not have CA specific nor "48 State" version bikes. Fortunately they are also exempt from some of the stricter regulations other manufacturers are held to.

However, most CA DMV drones are unaware of this, and will give one grief if all your ducks are not in a row, thinking the bike may not meet CA emissions, etc...

But, we've had several folks here buy bikes out of state(outside CA) and bring them in, all successfully. But in some cases, it went smoother than others.

The main thing to look for is the CA/EPA sticker on the swingarm(all North American Guzzis have them), under the black plastic hugger. The sticker is black, with white print, detailing info such as valve lash settings, tire pressure, etc...

If that is present, you should be able to take the bike to the DMV, have it inspected, and registered with no problem. If he is really lucky, he'll be able to register it no questions asked, and forgo this whole process, but you never know :huh2: It's a crap-shoot every time one goes to the DMV <_>

If they do give him grief, and he doesn't have the sticker in place, he'll have to get a letter from MGNA certifying/clarifying that all North American V11s are CA legal.... one of our members had to go that route, when the previous owner had removed the decal.

al

I understand that all the bikes MGNA sells meet CA specs - including the ones imported to Canada. That is why we all tend to remove the emissions crap and complain about the stumble in throttle response around 4000-5000 rpm. I really wish California would succeed from the Union and make life a lot easier for the rest of us!!!!

ditto what Al said!

I had fits getting my 03 lemans registered in CA - finally did-- rode it anyway of course during the process, putting on 5k miles until everything went through . My problems with the dmv had to do with not having the CA emissions sticker on the bike :bier: