Helmets

Guest philbo

**** cant really fault them apart from they can be a little noisey but thats what ear plugs are for arent they ?!  **** p.s. geeze how much bourbon did i have this eve? hmmm! :drink:  :helmet:  :homer:

38817[/snapback]

Absolutely re earplugs and noisy helmets.

'Course, you are the first Brit I've encountered with a taste for bourbon. Well done, Sir. Well done. :drink:

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Iv'e have used both Shoei and Arai. Arai's just fit my head better. Currently I wear a Rx7rr3. I have always liked the fact that the check pads are availalble in different thicknesses. Make keeping the helmet snug at speed much easier.

Arthur Dent. Now that something I haven't heard in a while. I remeber watching the BBC episodes when I was young. :nerd:

I must say that the difference between a 600.00 helmet and a 900.00 helmet in terms of safety is nominal and I am sure you'd be hard pressed to explain the difference. What you might be getting in turn is a high gloss fancy paint job by some obscure air brush artist which in my book apart from being ostentatious is simply not worth the extra 400.00 bucks once you figure in the tax. I personally have a Shoei head and swear by the X-Eleven, it is sleak ,good looking and understated in a nice metallic light silver. At 600.00 is it less safe? Doubtful. But hey? I cannot argue with my wife when she say Gucci and I say Coach. Personal style..It's what you pay for. I'm with Al. :bier:

Guest Brian Robson

I must say that the difference between a 600.00 helmet and a 900.00 helmet in terms of safety is nominal and I am sure you'd be hard pressed to explain the difference. What you might be getting in turn is a high gloss fancy paint job by some obscure air brush artist which in my book apart from being ostentatious is simply not worth the extra 400.00 bucks once you figure in the tax.

My $0.02's worth, is that I use a helmet every day and it gets taken off and put on about 10 times each day.

I think your point about safety comparisons may be a good one, who knows...in Snell we trust!

The better quality helmet doesn't fall apart, has a liner that is washable, fits as good as it did the day it was made and has a visor that can be used for a couple of years. I also appreciate the lighter weight at the end of the day.

I use a white Arai RX7RR, and I've looked but I can't find the name of the obscure painter! :helmet:

Here's hoisting an Aquavit :bier:

I echo Brians sentiments. I have a cheaper (but I hope just as safe) for track days. In case of a spill I don't want my nice Arai RX7RR all scuffed up. The Arai has about 100 times the use of the cheaper helmet yet the cheaper helmet has had the chin strap hardware come off and the lining (as Brian notes) has a habit of becoming misaligned as I put it on. I vote the extra bucks for the quality of use.

My Arai is plain black and cost 800 Cdn and the cheaper one 550 Cdn. They both have the same Snell safety rating.