Waterproof TPS?

Guest ratchethack

• 1 year later...
Guest Nogbad

Another GUZZICHONDRIA thread!

Mine is ignored, doused in water when I wash the bike, doused in salt when I ride the bike and no problem so far.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. (relatively speaking).

Guest ratchethack

Way to sweat y'er Guzzi assets, Nog! :lol:;)

Another GUZZICHONDRIA thread!

Mine is ignored, doused in water when I wash the bike, doused in salt when I ride the bike and no problem so far.

84995[/snapback]

The duff TPS syndrome appears to be more of a problem on those bikes where it lives underneath the throttle body i.e. Cali EV series etc. The fuel runs down the throttle butterfly shaft and penetrates the TPS giving rise to the 'Galloping Camel' effect.

List of suppliers and alternatives in the Database section at

Yahoo Guzzi GB

Graham

(One crap TPS on the shelf already) :huh2:

Thanks for the responses, Guys.  As a quick follow-up, I just finished taking the TPS off.  As I had suspected, water had indeed been pooling in the cup-shaped cavity below the TPS in the top of the throttle body.  The cavity was full of 20 K mikes worth of powdery white corrosion that had evidently formed from repeat cycles of water getting in there and then cooking off with engine heat.  Since the TPS sits above this cavity, the TPS itself appears to be relatively immune to any potential damage from this, but I cleaned the white stuff out of there, put a drop of oil on the TB shaft, and put a fillet of silicone seal accross the open space to seal it anyway. :thumbsup:

38764[/snapback]

Man, am I glad I take a random look at this forum from time to time. The silicone seal fillet sounds like cheap insurance to me. I just bought my Cafe Sport. It hasn't been in the rain or washed yet. I'll put some gray seal across that hole before I ride it again.