Cam chain tensioner

JuhaV

Hi,

Sorry, this might be a slightly Sport 1100 related thing, do not know if V11 uses the same type of tensioner.

My question is : Is it possible to change the cam chain tensioner without removing the sprockets and the chain ? Can I slip the the tensioner away from behind the chain somehow ? I would like to avoid opening the sprocket nuts if possible. I believe that the chain and sprockets are still ok after about 30 000 km.

In my earlier bikes I have used the aftermarket longer curved and spring-loaded tensioner instead of the original type. Any idea which type works better keeping the chain tight.

Any comments appreciated. See attached (poor quality) pic for more details.

br, JuhaVchain.jpg

Hi JuhaV,

I've never had any success changing the tensioner without removing the three sprockets. It's too tight a fit and the bolts are right behind the chain. Arrgh.

Removing the sprockets is pretty easy though. (this from working on Tonti frames)

Don't know which style is better- I've heard the spring type makes more noise...dunno if that's true, and dunno if it affects performance :cheese: The spring type is a lot cheaper though, and it seems like it's a fine design.

Regards,

Mr Ambivalence

While it obviously does work I don't much like the idea of running a gilmer belt, even if it's supposed to be able to take it, in oil and everyone must know how much I despise the commnly available gears :D

The V11's all have the *late model* tensioner picured above. Now while I tend to think it has a bit of a pissy little spring and looks a bit inadequate the imfamous Ken Hand has covered some absurd mileage on his '98 EV with the same tensioner and the whole thing is still quiet and the timing accurate so I suppose that is a fairly good indicator that it's a good unit that does the job. Certainly if your V11 has done less than 80,000 miles/120,000 Km I wouldn't worry about swapping out the chain.

I use a lot of the 'Valtek'/ Stucchi 'Blade' type tensioners. Both my SP and the Mighty 'Vert have them in and I see them as a great way of ensuring that a chain will last in excess of 120,000Km, I've seen many go a lot further!

If you do replace the chain and tensioner I really, really don't think it's worth trying to do it without removing the sprockets. Doing so isn't a big job and if you do you can pull the oil pump while you're in there and check it too. Like so many things on a Guzzi people try and save themselves the hassle of removing some part during a service operation and them make the job about ten times more difficult and time consuming. Don't bother. It's not rocket science and when you've done it you'll wonder why you were ever worried!!!!!! :D

Pete