shock replacement

beauchemin

I've decided to replace my Boge shock. My first inclination is just to buy Ohlins and forget the rest, but I guess I should do a little research. Any other opinions out there? I definitely want hydraulic preload, and low/high speed damping adjustment would be nice if not too expensive. Penske, Wilbers, any others? One other thing - who to deal with? A decent level of customer service would be nice.

thanks for your input

Chris

Guest Brian Robson

Todd at Guzzitech is great to deal with and he sells the Wilbers shocks. Everyone here on the site who has an Ohlins seems to love it as well.

Click on the following search: http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?...&hl=shock&st=25

Then browse through the resultant threads, especially posts by Mike Stewart, who went through an intensive configuration and testing of several models, especially the Penske and Ohlins.

Hope that helps.

Bottom line though, if you want remote preload adjustment, the Penske is not an option.

al

Todd at Guzzitech is great to deal with and he sells the Wilbers shocks. Everyone here on the site who has an Ohlins seems to love it as well.

Brian, thanks for the plug. The Wilbers units are very nice, and include a near bullet-proof warranty (service here in the U.S.). Pricing is very similar to Ohlins with the current Euro-vs-USD exchange rate. If you want the Ohlins name and bling, go for it. Wilbers is simply a shock that works very well.

You can find more Wilbers shock info at GuzziTech.com - under the "Online Store" Links.

Questions? Ask me direct: ToddGuzziTech.com.

Would somebody who actually did change the shock for aftermarket one care to state what the actual improvements he noticed?

I mean actually experienced improvements, not expected.

Also, how long the factory Boge is expected to hold before deteriorating? any experience in this regard?

I suspect mine is on its last legs. Hard to tell for sure the process is long and slow.

The Ohlins has 9mm more travel than the stock "Sucks" shock. It soaks up bumps much better. Things that used to launch me out of the seat don't any more. :grin:

The bad thing that an Ohlins rear does is make it obvious how mediocre the stock Marzocchi fork is. :( I'll start the fork upgrade project just as soon as my ribs heal (Maybe I really am too old to learn to dirt ride :not: ).

Regards,

-ken