Noises

Guest slowpoke

Guest slowpoke

I'm sure this thread has been done before but my clutch seems to be getting a lot louder. Before when you would press in the clutch lever there would be a rattling noise and when in neutral there would be no noise. Well that has changed to a rattling noise when the bike is in neutral too. The bike shifts great and there doesn't seem to be any problems. Is this just typical or abnormal? It is rather embarassing when another motorcyclist pulls up alongside of me and the bike is rattling however, it does not do it when underway. I have a 2001 V11 with only 4000 miles on it.

I have a 2000 vll with 17,000 miles. At about 8-9,000 my clutch did the same thing. I just had my bike in the shop for th engine and trans reacalls and asked the dealer to listen to my clutch and to ck it out. He said this is normal and my clutch was in great shape. I would be interested if anyone els has had this problem and if this really is normal.

cheers JJ

all i know is the noise on my scura is getting louder & louder i always thought this was very common on a guzzi

38879[/snapback]

I don't wish to alarm you, but I take it you are aware of this thread?

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=3520

Nige. :unsure:

2001 V11 - unless it's a Rosso Mandello it's got twin plate clutch. That thread's re possible single plate problem - doesn't concern twin plates....

39080[/snapback]

....yes, but the fella he was replying to has a Scura from what I can tell :huh2:

If so, he does have a single plate clutch.

- 2001 Rosso Mandello

- 2002 Scura

- 2002 Tenni

al

Just wondering how many single plate clutches are out there:

Rosso Mandello 600. (300 numbered, 300 non numbered)

So how many Scuras and Tenni did Guzzi make?

I have a 2003 LeMans with only 1600 miles. The clutch makes a racket when pulled in and is perfectly quiet when released in neutral or any gear. It has made this noise since I bought it with 600 miles. I just figure it's normal (I hope!).

Tim

...So how many Scuras and Tenni did Guzzi make?...

Heard originally 500 Scuras then they made 400 more or something like that. Dunno about Tennis but I'm guessing less. With 600 RM, that's something between 1,600 & 2,000 single plates?

John T - how many miles on yours?

KB :sun:

PS Al, I deleted my post #5 - lack of attention again :blush: ...KB

I have a 2003 LeMans with only 1600 miles.  The clutch makes a racket when pulled in and is perfectly quiet when released in neutral or any gear.  It has made this noise since I bought it with 600 miles.  I just figure it's normal (I hope!).

Tim

39105[/snapback]

No worries.... this is the normal behavior(which BTW, I love the sound) :D

Thanks for the vote of confidence Al.

If I hadn't been reading this forum before I bought the used 03 LeMans, I would have been shocked by the sound of the clutch when the previous owner started it. I probably would have walked away and I wouldn't have this beautiful red work-of-art sitting in my garage right now...

Tim

Thanks for the vote of confidence Al. 

If I hadn't been reading this forum before I bought the used 03 LeMans, I would have been shocked by the sound of the clutch when the previous owner started it.  I probably would have walked away and I wouldn't have this beautiful red work-of-art sitting in my garage right now...

Tim

39141[/snapback]

Heh, I was going to pick on you by saying ".... the sound of the Guzzi clutch would have driven you away. And you also own a Ducati??!!! :blink: "

But then I saw you have an '04 ST-4, and I think they have the new wet clutch don't they?(If I recall) :D

al

I was just about to ask the same question as my 2000 seems to make an awful lot of noise. The dealer just did the gearbox recall and said the clutch looks great, but I was worried anyway.

BTW, when someone asks me about the noise, I use the same answer that I give when they ask "Whats a motor gussy?" I look knowledgeable and say "It's Italian." That seems to satisfy them, or at least shut them up.

John