Full motor work

Guest vleal

I am looking for some guidance (mechanical). I have a 2003 LeMans and I would like to built it up to a higher performance machine (H/P + running) what do you recommend I have done to her. If you would give me a few different scenarios, I would appreciate your input. I live Calgary, Alberta, Canada and I have owned a T3 and T5 in Australia.

Probably the best thing to realize is that any modifications to the motor are going to require serious work on the FI. Since you're in Canada probably the best bet is to contact Todd at Guzzitech about a PCIII as these seem to be the go and have namy satisfied customers.

The V11 donk is in a fairly high state of tune, (for a shitty old pushrod hemi anyway.) I'd be leeery of trying anything to radical. You have to remember that if you go chasing HP you'll compromise lower speed running, no way around it.

There's another bloke who has posted here recently who was looking at a whole load of probably very expensive mods for not a huge gain. In the new year we're going to be twin plugging his heads and using one of Cliff's computers as a starter and he's already spending money getting the suspension properly sorted by an expert, (Frank Pons, ex- Cagiva GP, now lives in Sydney.) After that we can continue to play but performance increases are both expensive and incremental. You aren't just going to be able to bung a wad of cash at it and get an RI beater, sorry, but it isn't going to happen.

I'm intending to report here on gains we get with the V11 I've got coming in so perhaps if you bide your time we can be more helpfull. At the moment though information on major work is a bit thin on the ground.

I'm certainly not suggesting that I will be able to build a huge, 'Biggus Dickus' type engine, I'm not into that off of the racetrack, but I do think we'll be able to at least get *some* substantial improvement over the stock unit.

Pete

I am looking for some guidance (mechanical). I have a 2003 LeMans and I would like to built it up to a higher performance machine (H/P + running) what do you recommend I have done to her.

vleal, I agree with everything Pete has to say. Throwing all the money you want at the motor, you'll make about 90-95 rwhp - best case scenario with stock bore.

You can read about all the different avenues here, and on GuzziTech.com, under the 'Performance' Section.

ToddGuzziTech.com

Guest Steve_W
enjoy the guzzi for what it is pure character, yes you can change little stuff exhaust,pc,but if you want hp go buy a rice rocket :luigi:

Or a Daytona. Triumph, that is... :!:

Bored and stirring the pot,

Steve W.

Guest aj howard

One of the best ways to make a bike go faster is better use of the horsepower you have.

Lose Weight....

After doing the standard engine mods spend your money on lighter wheels and everything that isn't titanium should be carbon fiber. You will bet to spends oodles of money.. your bike will be "trick" and not only will it go faster, it will slow down quicker and it will handle better.

I remeber a car mag did a test hear int he states. they took an old well used Caddy sedan (500cubic inch V-8 monster) to the drag strip, did a few base runs and then started removing weight. They ended up taking a torch and cutting the body away. The damn thing went faster and faster till they got to the point that there was so little car left they lost traction. I can't remember how many tenths of a second the got for each 100lb shed but they ended up running some pretty darn fast et's in a skeleton of a car.

Probably the best thing to realize is that any modifications to the motor are going to require serious work on the FI. Since you're in Canada probably the best bet is to contact Todd at Guzzitech about a PCIII as these seem to be the go and have namy satisfied customers.

The V11 donk is in a fairly high state of tune, (for a shitty old pushrod hemi anyway.) I'd be leeery of trying anything to radical. You have to remember that if you go chasing HP you'll compromise lower speed running, no way around it.

There's another bloke who has posted here recently who was looking at a whole load of probably very expensive mods for not a huge gain. In the new year we're going to be twin plugging his heads and using one of Cliff's computers as a starter and he's already spending money getting the suspension properly sorted by an expert, (Frank Pons, ex- Cagiva GP, now lives in Sydney.) After that we can continue to play but performance increases are both expensive and incremental. You aren't just going to be able to bung a wad of cash at it and get an RI beater, sorry, but it isn't going to happen.

I'm intending to report here on gains we get with the V11 I've got coming in so perhaps if you bide your time we can be more helpfull. At the moment though information on major work is a bit thin on the ground.

I'm certainly not suggesting that I will be able to build a huge, 'Biggus Dickus' type engine, I'm not into that off of the racetrack, but I do think we'll be able to at least get *some* substantial improvement over the stock unit.

Pete

39357[/snapback]

Thanks for your constructive input Pete and others(not friz, small minds have small thoughts). I will bide my time and do a lot more looking and listening. I forgot to tell you that I have only been riding bikes for about 28 years and one of the bigest mistakes was to sell my Agustini 1000.

Merry Xmas and have a cold one for me.

Pete

39357[/snapback]

Thanks for your constructive input Pete and others(not friz, small minds have small thoughts). I will bide my time and do a lot more looking and listening. I forgot to tell you that I have only been riding bikes for about 28 years and one of the bigest mistakes was to sell my Agustini 1000.

Golly vleal,

I'd have to agree with Fritz and Pete on this one. If you really want eye popping power, you should garner a grasp of reality, and get yourself a big Jap superbike. I'm a strong proponent of having more than one motorcycle if entirely possible. One for extreme performance, and one for sheer enjoyment of character.

Ciao, Steve G.

39404[/snapback]

Fritz's point is very valid. Quite simply you aren't going to get huge horsepower out of an air cooled V twin with a shaft drive with the capacity limits we can play with and only two valves per cylinder.

The reason why most people ride Guzzis is because they feel so good. I don't even own a V11, I own a crappy old 1980 Convert, a crappy old 1980 SP and a little green hot-rod that is based on, surprise, surprise, an 1980 model :D:bike: I love them all dearly and don't *want* a V11 because my older bikes do everything I want and I find that even the weedy 44 rear wheel BHP of the 'Vert is more than adequate for my needs, (I managed to round up a couple of be-clown-suited nongs in South Dakota on the 'vert with full touring gear and they were on Buell 'Neckbolts' or whatever they're called!).

I'm not suggesting that improvements can't be made, remember the V11 is the same as any other motorbike in respect of the fact that is a production machine assembled by assembley workers on a production line with ALL the compromises that in involves but simply because it's 1050CC doesn't mean it's possible to build a tyre smoking monster out of it. If your expectations are realistic then you can have a lot of fun but I'll say it again, GET THE SUSPENSION SORTED FIRST!!!!!!! This will gain you many seconds at the track or on your favorite bit of 'Bung-hole' road.

Fritz's points are all very valid. What I would say though s if you want a track-day bike get an RGV250 or an Aprilia 250. There's nothing like the smell of 2-stroke in the morning :D:bier:

Pete

At the risk of making a break in this string of posts...I've seen "titanium bolts" twice today in different postings. Is there a titanium bolt kit out there somewhere? I see an "argal" kit from MG-USA, but am unsure of the gain if any. Thanks. k

I wish the search engine for this forum worked better...

Ditto on what everyone else said.

There are much cheaper ways to get HP.

Buy an Aprillia, or an old Guzzi Daytona, or a Ducati multivalve.

But many on this list have made gains that have made their bikes more fun to ride.

Read about John T.'s rippin' rosso at

http://www.guzzitech.com/JTsRosso-PtII-John_T.html

Zebulon and Paul M. have created amazing multivalve Guzzis.

The editor of Moto Euro Magazine had Ferracci do wonders:

http://www.moto-euro.com/sample_article_9.htm

It seems that the most cost effective gains come from a Stucchi or Ferracci crossover combined with just about ANY slip ons, combined with a Power Commander to make the most of the changes, and more importantly the power commander makes the bike rideable.

Hi Compression pistons and porting are available from Mike Rich or Fast by Ferracci.

The gains from those modifications are probably less per dollar.

High performance cams are another option, but I think the V11S has a fine cam. The v11 cruisers cam is probably too mild for what most of us want.

Removing the airbox lid is the cheapest modification per HP.

Other options are Carrillo Rods for less reciprocating mass.

Lighter fly wheel.

And as others said, lightening the bike, will probably do more to make you fast.

But I am not sure what can be done here.

Lighter wheels, kind of expensive, and you might not want to lose your cush drive.

a smaller battery(keep it fresh)

If you want to get lighter, don't get a corbin seat or a seat with gel, these make it heavier.

Get rid of the stock mufflers. They are HEAVY.

The V11S headlight is kind of heavy. I'll bet you could easily find something lighter.

I'll bet someone could market a rear subframe that could save a few Kilos.

Paul M. has a nice tail section that probably save a bit of weight, and looks great!

Whatever you do, enjoy :mg:

I wish the search engine for this forum worked better...

Ditto on what everyone else said.

There are much cheaper ways to get HP.

Buy an Aprillia, or an old Guzzi Daytona, or a Ducati multivalve.

But many on this list have made gains that have made their bikes more fun to ride.

Read about John T.'s rippin' rosso at

http://www.guzzitech.com/JTsRosso-PtII-John_T.html

Zebulon and Paul M. have created amazing multivalve Guzzis.

The editor of Moto Euro Magazine had Ferracci do wonders:

http://www.moto-euro.com/sample_article_9.htm

It seems that the most cost effective gains come from a Stucchi or Ferracci crossover combined with just about ANY slip ons, combined with a Power Commander to make the most of the changes, and more importantly the power commander makes the bike rideable.

Hi Compression pistons and porting are available from Mike Rich or Fast by Ferracci.

The gains from those modifications are probably less per dollar.

High performance cams are another option, but I think the V11S has a fine cam. The v11 cruisers cam is probably too mild for what most of us want.

Removing the airbox lid is the cheapest modification per HP.

Other options are Carrillo Rods for less reciprocating mass.

Lighter fly wheel.

And as others said, lightening the bike, will probably do more to make you fast.

But I am not sure what can be done here.

Lighter wheels, kind of expensive, and you might not want to lose your cush drive.

a smaller battery(keep it fresh)

If you want to get lighter, don't get a corbin seat or a seat with gel, these make it heavier.

Get rid of the stock mufflers. They are HEAVY.

The V11S headlight is kind of heavy. I'll bet you could easily find something lighter.

I'll bet someone could market a rear subframe that could save a few Kilos.

Paul M. has a nice tail section that probably save a bit of weight, and looks great!

Whatever you do, enjoy :mg:

39473[/snapback]

Thank you for your very constructive input. Your comments with suggestions were exactly what I was looking for. I believe that most of the other comments relating to my question have misunderstood my quest for a marginal increase in H/P with trying to create a racing, bone-crunching monster.

Thank you for your very constructive input. Your comments with suggestions were exactly what I was looking for. I believe that most of the other comments relating to my question have misunderstood my quest for a marginal increase in H/P with trying to create a racing, bone-crunching monster.

39485[/snapback]

Well, take heart...... you already have the "bone-crushing monster" part in the stock V11 :grin: