ouch ouch ouch

beauchemin

I attempted an emergency stop (from 50 km/h) to avoid a car trying to enter my lane from a parking lot, the next thing I knew I was sliding down my lane behind my new bike! I must have locked the front wheel on a greasy patch and went down hard on my left side. The car jammed on the brakes just before entering the lane, otherwise I would have hit it. Jacket, gloves and boots did their job, but I wasn't wearing my armoured leather pants - now I have two bruised knees with a patch of roadrash on my left knee. I usually wear my pants, but got lazy yesterday. We all know this, but even for a short trip into town, don't forget to wear ALL your gear!

The bike did fairly well. Heavily scraped (Staintune) muffler, broken shift lever, broken cylinder guard (into 3 pieces!), scraped valve cover, scraped bar-end weight, scraped clutch lever & master cylinder, scratched fender, bent/scratched Givi bikini fairing, broken sparkplug cap, scraped sidestand tip.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Exactly the same thing happened to me on a Hayabusa, it's amazing how fast you can lose a front end in those circumstances, especially if you're turning at the same time. Anyhow glad to hear you're ok and good advice on the gear. I soemtimes get the feeling that becuase the Guzzi is not a hyper sport bike ti's ok to wear casual clothing ...

BUT - you are hear typing this - & we are grateful for that.

On a ridiculous side note, (just minutes ago) a big samoan that was chased by cops, jumped over a fence & crash landed on the bonnet of my 25 year old Alfa GTV, a HUGE dent & blood everywhere starts my new year with a somewhat ...well let's say...PISSED OFF attitude.

BUT - I am here writing this - & we are grateful for that.

Take it easy...

n_s_S!

Chris, man, I feel shitty. Your new baby! I'm glad you are ok. I know how you are feeling. Don't get discouraged. Get the bike together again, lick your wounds [well maybe not actually] and get on it man.

It is amazing how these radials lose their ultimate potential when it's cold out. It can be a bit like riding down a dirt road sometimes.

Ciao, Steve G.

Get on it quickly, don't think about it.

Guest Brian Robson

Beauchemin....I've got a pair of stock mufflers you can use until you decide which option to go for.

Get better soon, and like Steve says, get back on when you can.

Maybe all the BC Guzzi reiders can meet for a ride in the summer or a beer or several this winter.

Very bad luck. Good point about the protective gear, for real humiliation try my little trick just before Christmas. I has a Pee-Wee 50 in for a pre-sale, (To a new owner .) service and after I'd steam cleaned it the poxy thing wouldn't run right above a certain RPM, turned out to be the weirdo 2 position kill switch wiring had water in but in my attempts to clear out the carb, (which I initially thought was the problem.) I took it for a brief flog around the back yard of the workshop, hooked my trousers over the left handle bar and highsided off into the gravel at all of about 10KPH :blush: What a top of penis :-) :D I did more damage to myself than I did sticking the SP into a culvert last year!!!! It's now a fortnight later and I've only just got rid of the scabs and some of the bruising is still there. :doh:

There is something deeply dis-satisfying about injuring yourself by trowelling a PW50 at 10KPH, I don't recommend it :grin::grin::grin:

Pete

LOL! Good story Pete!

Sorry to hear about your belove Alfa n_s_S, those big Samoans falling out of the sky can be a handfull :D

Guest Thundering Subash

Sorry to hear about laying your bike down. Glad to hear you're mostly OK and the bike isn't too bad. Now you can freely customize your bike further (I have a tough time replacing perfectly good parts with different ones, but a scratched, dented, or otherwise wrecked part is open game). :race:

:mg:

-Chris

Thanks for your comments. My scabs are doing well, my left knee now bends most of the way, and my limp is slowly improving. I've submitted all my paperwork and am now waiting to hear back from the insurance company.

Brian - thanks for your kind muffler offer, but I still have my originals just in case. I thought that if I kept them, then I would never need them...

Pete - that's quite a story story! It would be funny if not for the injury!

Bento - the tires are the original BT020, with about 750 miles. They were well scrubbed, but the day was cold (2 deg Celsius) and I had only been on the road for 5 minutes.

My new mantra: All the gear all the time. (I'm thinking of getting a one-piece Aerostitch suit, that way I can't get lazy and forget the pants.)

man, that cold weather is a b*tch. i took a turn a little too hot one cold day and my front end tried to shovel in the corner. i thought i was going down. think about metzlers on your next set. i love mine.

glad to hear your on the mend. are we shopping for parts yet? :P: