Givi top box on a LeMans...

turbotiger

Has anyone fitted a Givi topbox to their LeMans?

I need to carry my laptop with me...

Thanks,

Lance R.

'99 turbo Tiger (for sale)

'01 Gold Wingebago (also for sale)

'03 Sprint ST (never for sale)

'03 V11 LeMans Rosso Corsa (mine, finally!)

Lance

Here's shot of the Moto Guzzi bag, with my laptop in it. It fits snug around the edges, but there's a lot of depth left for power adapters and the usual cables etc..

The tank bag zippers off the base to become a backpack

Cheers, Tim

Guest Dave Pott

Hey Tim,

What's that thing in the background with the red rims???

Wait, don't tell me, I think I'm sorry I asked :wacko: The answer will just turn me green with envy anyway :blink:

Sorry people, in Holland we say:

"het slaat als een kut op Dirk"   

or

"het slaat als een tang op een varken"

:bbblll:  :bbblll:  :bbblll:

40553[/snapback]

I don't speak Dutch!

Translation engines don't savvy the colloquial & idiomatic expressions well. One of these was "It beats a cut from Dirk?" & the other is "It beats a grip on a pig?"

I'm guessing that you're looking for the equivalent to "it's better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick," but I'm not certain.

Since I *think* this is in reference to the Givi top-box for a Le Mans since that's the title of the thread. And yes, having one *would* be only slightly better than a poke in the eye w/ a sharp stick, since Givi seems to excel at making ugly Bike luggage: that's probably because it's too generic, in order to work with many, many different motorcycles.

Should a Le Mans sport a topbox and/or hardbags? Sure, if the owner wants it! But in the best of all possible worlds, they would be bags designed from the outset to complement the Le Mans' lines and have mounts that are either quickly removable or permanently hidden. Think of the available horribly over-priced aluminum tail-rack accessory that hides the Le Mans greatest styling flaw, the "beetle carapace" back-end. Get someone with some fiberglass experience from H-D's plant in Waukesha? or wherever and a stylist who barfs at the site of Corbin Beetle Bags together to work some magic and any rider who has a modern Guzzi sport bike of any model will pay a reasonable price to have the flexibility such bags provide without the assault to the senses of the bad looks that either the Givi bags or the original "bug butt" styling provides.

:thumbsup:

Of course, as Pete Roper pointed out a while back, the "reasonably priced" is the fly in the ointment, since there's just too few Guzzis out there upon which to build an operation that needs significant economies of scale to bring the prices within reason...

:(

Maybe someday I'll have the time to fiddle around with the idea. The nice thing about doing it in fiberglass is that the materials are fairly cheap, rugged, repairable, and the molds can be made up by an individual with little expense, ie: it's suited to low-volume production. In other words, it could make a nice hobby! ;)

What's that thing in the background with the red rims???

That? That's the thing I use to carry the other tank bag. Its a FAMSA bag, really nice quality. I figured a 2nd tank bag would be utterly useless without something with red wheels to support it. :bike:

When's this rain gonna stop so we can ride ??????

Cheers, Tim

That?  That's the thing I use to carry the other tank bag.  Its a FAMSA bag, really nice quality.  I figured a 2nd tank bag would be utterly useless without something with red wheels to support it. :bike:

When's this rain gonna stop so we can ride ??????

Cheers, Tim

40589[/snapback]

Mmmmm ... Tuono ...

Jeeze guys, the choice for me is to either ride the LeMans to and from work and have a way to carry my very large laptop with me, or take the Sprint ST with it's hard bags. I do have the MG tankbag and I will try to fit the laptop in it, but a waterproof tail trunk would be the best option for me.

Personally, I hate the look of ANYTHING in the way of luggage on the LeMans, but I'm also not leaving Jan (my girlfriend) at home or to ride her scooter just 'cause I don't like the look of a dual seat on the LeMans. If she wants to ride with me on the LeMans, she's darn well going to ride with me and enjoy the Guzzi experience too. And when we ride we ride 200-600 miles per day. Sometimes we end up at home at the end of the day, sometimes we don't. Carrying a decent amount of clothing in luggage allows us to ride regardless of the weather, and gives up the option of going where we want to go.

I love the looks of the LeMans, and Jan does too. But the Guzzi experience (and motorcycling in general) is about riding the bike, and anything we can do to enhance that experience, such as carrying luggage and what's in it, is something that I am going to do. Once we're on the bike, it's all about riding it, not about how it looks.

Too bad someone doesn't make a tail trunk that emulates the lines of the LeMans...

Thanks for the ideas everyone!

Lance R.

'99 turbo Triumph Tiger

'01 Honda GL1800

'03 Triumph Sprint ST

'03 Moto Guzzi V11 LeMans

'03 Suzuki Burgman 400 scooter (Jan's ride)

Guest Thundering Subash

Here's another option that may work. While smaller than most top boxes, this option fits a full size helmet or a bag of groceries, and perhaps a laptop depending on the size. I've been pretty happy with this set up on my grocery getting Lemans :grin: , and have found it to be completely water proof. Also, I've found the size and shape of the box to compliment the bike (or at least more so than other options I considered).

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?...indpost&p=21382

Best of luck with whatever option works for you. :thumbsup:

:mg: