Paint Bubbles on an '02 LeMans

Desdinova

I also posted this question at GuzziTech to get the widest group of opnions.. I have one of the 2002's with the paint bubbles, oh joy.

It's covered under warantee, and I am in a quandry and looking for opnions. Do I get the new engine case (requireing the engine to be completely rebuilt) or just take the $'s if offered.

Part of me sais, get it fixed up, and the other part sais, that's a lot of work for something that is essentially esthetic.

opnions??

Since you have the Billy Bob  to ride I'd get the new cases. I've seen a couple of  that  have really looked like crap when the paint started coming off :vomit: . Now would be the perfect time to add the FBF  or Mike Rich pistons too. :thumbsup:

40619[/snapback]

Guess I need to update my signature. Thanks for that note.. It either looks really cool or looks like .... depending on the mood I'm in. It already is fully loaded.

Guest Brian Robson

This decision is yours alone to make. The group is somewhat divided between replacing the crankcases with the attendant wait and also I guess the possibility with the new takeover that you won't get this offered at all OR taking the equipment offers with the possibility that you won't get that either!

I think Al has waited a fair bit of time for the replacement cases, and in my situation I took the Gran Raid suit option.

The blistering whilst quite bad on my bike, did not worsen and consequently now appears as normal, but the bevel case paint fell off in patches, and I subsequently left the aluminium bare, as this is part of the paint settlement according to the dealer.

As far as I've read there is no cash settlement for this issue.

Good Luck

Guest dkgross

get yourself a can of S100 Engine Brightener:

http://www.jpcycles.com/productgroup.aspx?...B3DE&brand=S100

THEN decided if the bubbling paint is worth tearing your bike apart for. TO ME, it wasn't. I took the Guzzi Luggage package. And I just spray this stuff on the bike when I wash it. It's AMAZING. Heck, ALL the S100 products are amazing.

My paint started showing a few tiny blisters at @ 400 miles. I can scratch them away with my fingernail, and then all you see is a tiny spot of the semi-gloss black undercoat.

I would take the accessories in compensation - I can't bring myself to dismantle a perfectly good engine for purely cosmetic reasons. To me, it seems like an invitation to other problems.

I opted for the new cases, as I planned to add some "go fast" parts in the process.

Since I dropped the bike off right before the holidays, and coincidentally about the time that my dealer was moving locations, they still don't have it ready... but that's fine, as the weather has been sorta poor, and we were out of town for 2 weeks anyway :rolleyes:

The last I heard(last week), they were still waiting for the crank, etc.. to come back from the balancers... then it's a simply day's work to put it all back together.

I'm hoping to hear something this week.

al

Thanks for the input so far... keep it coming as I am learning a bit here that I did not know, and I will add a few notes that make a difference....

My paint, although bubbled a lot, all over the case, has not started coming off. I hadn't thought of that possibility. Heck if it came off, I would think hitting the case with heat-resist engine paint would be a simple task. A nice flat crinkle-finish would look cool.

I am leaning more toward the accessories 'cept for a couple details.... I have I think all of the accessories they made for the bike, and none of their ridewear is in my size. the bike already has all the performance goodies on it too except for new pistons, which frankly, I'm not all that interested in.

I guess I could get replacement accessories, but that seems like a waste of time too.

Keep the input coming, I really appreciate this... although I do seem to be falling deeper into quandry.

Guest rrbasso

I opted for the free jackets, not because I needed a jacket or that I liked the jacket, I in fact gave it awey to a fellow Guezziest here at work, the reason I didnt go for cases is that they wont let me do my own work and there is NO one in the two shops around here that I trust to take my bike down to cases and get it right again. Just my thoughts :bike:

Guest ratchethack

A wise choice, IMHO. There's a long list of things that can happen when cases get opened up behind closed doors in a busy shop (a few trusted shops excepted!), not all of which are good things, some of which have been known to morph into extended excursions into dimensions of space and time where no one wants to go. Unless compelled by threat of a mechanical problem, best not tempt fate by opening *Pandora's box*.

Beyond the original risk of contamination by the local ravioli pasticciati at Lake Como, at least now you can rest assured there isn't half a Big Mac in the sump. :blink:

I'm with you Tony. I do all my own maintenance. :luigi:

Well as Rosanne Rosanna Danna would say.... "never mind."

I found out today that appearently the previous owner already opted for the jacket option. So re-paint when the time comes is my plan.

Wow 39 degrees today with a light drizzle... a wonderful day for a ride... a couple of hours worth anyway.

Blimey! Sound a bit scary - I just turned mine in for a repaint job! :homer:

I must say however, that I have confidence in the job being done so far by my dealer here in Copenhagen Italian Bike Store and the bike is furthermore under warranty, so I can't really see, why I should be arsed by a DIY job.

Good to hear though that there are some trusted dealerships around your neighbourhood.

Good luck! (and also to myself, I suppose :D )

Søren

I like that shop. the scooters are cool and everone should have one of those Benelli's as a play bike. Have you checked out the Daytona for sale?

40770[/snapback]

Hi Jim,

Yep, actually I had some dirty plans with it, but my ever lovely wife twisted my arm on the back and forced me to buy a new bike. I have previously ridden a Harley and I guess she was fed up with spare parts lying all over the house, a fresh painted gas tank on her pillow and so on. :D You should see her face when she found the gas tank.....

The Daytona is pretty nice, but it would take some rebuilding. I would opt for another fork, new rims, another seat and then, if I won in the national lottery, ship the engine to Dynotec in Germany for a severe overhaul.

The price tag would probably come to the equivalence of a new Rosso Corsa, but I really like that 4-valve head - why in God's name didn't Mandello continue with it?

Søren