Country avoidance

Steve G.

Guest Brian Robson

Here in BC, there is nothing but the usual griping from riders about the speed limits and the enforcement. Reading the article about Norway puts it into a better perspective.

We have in BC no static cameras (thank you provincial government), but we face marked and unmarked cars who use laser/radar both from the rear and the front, and the vehicles thet use are getting more difficult to spot. The size of the Province also makes the remote areas less likely to be patrolled.

Steve,

Despite the sick traffic laws Norway is an absolutely gobsmacking beautiful country. The scenary is a lot like what you see in i.e. Canada with lots of mountains and fjords. The roads are all very well maintained so there's no excuse for not getting there.

Oh well, Norway comes with a price tag: How about 200 Norwegian Kroner (equivalent to 35 US dollars!!!) for a pizza? That's the price for a normal size pizza in Oslo on the main street. True!

Søren

Steve,

Despite the sick traffic laws Norway is an absolutely gobsmacking beautiful country. The scenary is a lot like what you see in i.e. Canada with lots of mountains and fjords. The roads are all very well maintained so there's no excuse for not getting there.

Oh well, Norway comes with a price tag: How about 200 Norwegian Kroner (equivalent to 35 US dollars!!!) for a pizza? That's the price for a normal size pizza in Oslo on the main street. True!

Søren

40664[/snapback]

On my one trip to the UK, I dicovered many speed cameras.

But the consensus was that because I am a yank on a rent a bike there was nothing to worry about.

Also, they always put the cameras in straight aways, so you there were no real prohibitions in the twisties, and the police could do there job chasing real criminals like this guy. :rasta:

I imagine they don't put the cameras right in the twisties in Norway, but then again they might have to as I imagine the fjord side rodes are nothing but curves. :race:

But if you are forced to go slowly through that, I'd buy an El Dorado

I shouldn't say bad things about Norway. I mean I havn't been there. And the people I've met from there are just the greatest. As always, it is the bl%@$y government.

Pizza? Well, here you can get 2 extra large deluxe with dipping sauces for $17us. Sorry.

And police here can take away your license on the spot as well, as judge, jury, and executioner.

Ciao, Steve G.

I was in Switzerland on a work assignment for one year in 1984-1985 and they had many static speed-trap cameras. This was 20 years ago! I was nabbed at night and there was no arguing; you just paid the fine. The amazing thing is that no one vandalized these boxes, which were on the side of the road. Over here in America these boxes wouldn't last a week.

The roads there were great, the speed limits reasonable (130 km/hr on the highways - about 80 mph), the traffic moved smoothly, the cafes were wonderful, the scenery was beautiful.

Actually we got quiet a few speed cameras in Sweden too,

but (like in Norway AFAIK) it is not a big problem when on the bike.

The driver must be identified which is impossible wearing a fullface helmet :helmet:

hey, a camera, give the nice policeman a wave (while doing a wheelie)

beside they are always (at least up north) on the wide straight roads

which you want to avoid anyways when riding for fun. :race:

and Tony,

getting drunk is not a question about price is more of a tradition. :drink:

For our 40th Anniversary, my wife and I did a Beach's two week tour of Norway. The scenery was spectacular every day, traffic was minimal, the people were really nice, and we never had anyone ticketed in our group (even though we were often over the speed limit).

Norway is expensive but, in my opinion, well worth a visit. Dress warmlyand bring rain gear! :bier: