F344

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest Brian Robson

I think thats terrific, it looks great and would be a relatively cheap mod if you have a spare set of pipes and a crossover.

Here are some before photos.

For those of you that have expressed interest. The guy that did this for me is named Enzo Fatica, his email is:

enzometalmania@sbcglobal.net

He said if you email him to be sure and mention Moto Guzzi in the subject line so he knows it isn't spam.

He'll need the bike at his shop in San Francisco. He had my bike for about 6 days, but he has a regular job, so you will have to see what his schedule allows.

For "dlaing", I'll be in and out all day tomorrow, you can call me at 650 344 0637 if you want to come by. I am giving Enzo my salt water aquarium and we'll be moving back and forth between his place in the city and my house in Burlingame most of the day, so setting up a time shouldn't be a problem.

Frank

Exhaust_2_pos_Before.jpg

Exhaust_1_pos_before.jpg

Frank,

Excellent job! I can't open your link, though. I really would like to hear it. I'd love to hear it live. I'm interested how this has changed the bike's performance. Your bike looks great, by the way.

If anyone is interested in my extra set of Mistras, I can make you a fine deal. Just email me and we can work something out. I can send you some digital pics so there is no confusion. I DON'T have the crossover, however.

Hi Enzo,

I rechecked the link and it works for me. Try right clicking and saving the file locally then playing it.

Can't say much about performance, I didn't dyno the bike before I did this. The bike has run rich since the day I bought it, and I am hoping this will help to fix that. It sorta feels like I have more power, but I haven't been riding much lately, and I found that a better sounding bike feels stronger to me, so it is probably my imagination.

Frank

Frank,

Excellent job!  I can't open your link, though.  I really would like to hear it.  I'd love to hear it live.  I'm interested how this has changed the bike's performance.  Your bike looks great, by the way.

If anyone is interested in my extra set of Mistras, I can make you a fine deal.  Just email me and we can work something out.  I can send you some digital pics so there is no confusion.  I DON'T have the crossover, however.

41053[/snapback]

That looks awesome :sun: , but I have two concerns:

1) These bikes seem to perform better with a 2:1 or at least "crossed over" system. So especially for those that do not have any front crossover(2002 and earlier), there may be some performance hit, although that is just an assumption.

2) We've seen quite a few exhausts, even the OEM units, shake themselves apart by cracking at the welds. It's hard to tell much from the photo, but I would suggest a *very* beefy bracket for mounting these cans, especially since the shell of the cans are aluminum... assuming it is welded to the aluminum shell.

Anyway, point 1 is easily researched, and point 2 is just something to consider with regard to improving durability, if your guy hasn't already :D

Again, great work though. I had thought about this a while back, and I'm glad to see someone executed on it, as it looks really great.

...will be curious to see the ongoing pricing for this conversion, and long(ish)-term performance/durability results.

Excellent work :thumbsup:

al

Hi Al,

It will be a year or so before we can draw any conclusions about vibration and weld integrity, but I'll keep you guys posted.

This bike is a 2003 with the forward x-over, but I did lose the rear cross over. Eventually, I'm going to ride the bike down to Moto Italianio's new store and let them ride it, they can best judge the performance, but from just 20 or so miles I can say the ridability seem fine.

I regarding the pricing, there was a lot of cutting and fitting to make it snug up as high as he could get it, so I doubt it will be cheaper than all the other exhaust options. After waiting 8 months for MG Ti cans, I gave up and went with this. Actually I was going to have him make up something like that box that you can get from Italy. But he suggested this.

All the welding is done in steel and then the aluminum sleeves and slotted, cut down and remounted.

I’ll attach a couple more photos.

Frank

That looks awesome  :sun: , but I have two concerns:

1)  These bikes seem to perform better with a 2:1 or at least "crossed over" system.  So especially for those that do not have any front crossover(2002 and earlier), there may be some performance hit, although that is just an assumption.

2)  We've seen quite a few exhausts, even the OEM units, shake themselves apart by cracking at the welds.  It's hard to tell much from the photo, but I would suggest a *very* beefy bracket for mounting these cans, especially since the shell of the cans are aluminum... assuming it is welded to the aluminum shell.

Anyway, point 1 is easily researched, and point 2 is just something to consider with regard to improving durability, if your guy hasn't already  :D

Again, great work though.  I had thought about this a while back, and I'm glad to see someone executed on it, as it looks really great.

...will be curious to see the ongoing pricing for this conversion, and long(ish)-term performance/durability results.

Excellent work  :thumbsup:

al

41060[/snapback]

Exhaust_6_post.jpg

Exhaust_7_post.jpg

Exhaust_8_post.jpg

I have already tried something similar to the above. But it was far too loud. It had 3" outlets on both sides.... :blush:

Now about the front "crossover." This is actually what is known as a balance pipe. This pipe does not change the diameter of the exhaust system. During lower engine speeds a small amount of gases is diverted into the balance pipe. This effectly increases the tuned length of the pipe which helps with low rpm torque. Very similar to how a chamber work in muffler. At high rpm the exhaust pulses are close enough together that the amount of gas diverted is insignificant thus resulting in the actual tuned length of the pipe. Normally this pipe is placed very close to the exhaust outlet port. The balance pipe does not help with scavenging.

A crossover is designed to help with scavenging, which can help with clearing and filling of the cylinders during a narrow rpm range. Where ever the crossover is placed determines the tuned length of the exhaust pipe due to the large change in ex. pipe diameter, which is relative to its tuned length also.