Exhaust Mod... Tiny cans.

F344

Yes, Frank, you were right to go with Enzo's idea. I see a problem with yours. :D

Al is sure correct about brackets and welds. Everyone should always check your exhaust brackets, otherwise you will crack your header pipes. Recently, I found I was riding around with my Cobras without the bracket support! The bolt had fallen out. Luckily, no damage. I used some beefy pipe.

I really like the looks of the interior of those cans. That's cool.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It is difficult to predict what this design will do for power.

More sound? Yes.

Less weight? Yes.

Cool factor? I think so!

Faster? Sounds faster.

But eliminating the crossover while keeping the stock outlet size will probably do two things.

Fill in the whole in the midrange and lose a little top end power.

That is my guess, and it is what I experienced with the Quat D, which is very different in that it is a two into one design, which is more efficient at scavenging, but one gets cross cylinder interference.Or so I believe.

I'd like to see this design with a little more sound wave dampening and a more open port.

Atleast, for my bike that does not have the balance pipe.

I think a decreasing diameter labarynth, packed in stainless steel wool, with minimal to no crossover, and if there is a crossover, it would be very forward.

The final outlet would have to be atleast twice as free flowing as the stock outlet, since there is no crossover.

I wish I could have afforded to take apart the QuatD and re-engineer it for more peak power....

EDIT

I went back and noticed Frank has also drilled the ends, which should help eliminate some of the back pressure that I am concerned about.

PS Emry, any ideas about final diameter size,(less than 3"!!!) or crossover elimination.

For more top end you would want to combine a crossover, or two-into-one along with an open design. Problem is, such things are very loud. I think you want a sort of increasing diameter toward the back end in a perfect world. My design has that, but it also has an end cap that provides just a bit of back pressure. That cap takes some away from the real top end, but it would be too monstrous for the street. Also, for around town, you want that back pressure. Not much though. Guzzis love an open system. I have no baffles or wool in my Cobras. Yet, it is not so loud as to cause disturbance.

These pipes look cool to me, but I'm afraid there is too much resistance to the flow going on. Frank might even try cutting and welding in a short 'H' crossover in there to see what happens. Might free it up a bit.

Great pipes! Looks absolutely awesome :thumbsup:

Check out the cuties from Italian Firestarter Garage:

v11_ciclope_h.jpg

More info on Firestartergarage.it

Ciao

Søren

Speaking of radical pipes how about this one?

bellerofonte_h.jpg

Pics from firestartergarage.it

..and how about a radical bike?

Rossopuro_5.jpg

Søren

PS Emry, any ideas about final diameter size,(less than 3"!!!) or crossover elimination.

When I redo my exhaust box I will probably use dual 2 1/4" outlets.

After a crossover the main goal of an exhaust is to mearly remove and quiet the exhaust pulse.The bigger the diameter the less back pressure, but also the more noise. On the Suzuki TL1000 that we ran we started with dual 2" pipes coming out of the crossover, but we quickly found that it liked dual 3" pipes, unfortunatly the noise was deafening, even with 22" mufflers. We settled on 2 5/8"'s which was a good compromise.

Personally I would add a H-pipe crossover. It should be at least 3/4 of the head pipe diameter. From the looks of the design it would be easy to add just in front or even at the beginning of the mufflers. Over all any sort of a crossover is a good thing, it broadens the tuned range of most exhaust systems.

I :wub: love :wub: the the flat trackbike!!!!!!!!

As I mentioned, I'll be very curious to see the long-term results of this modification, as I think it looks awesome :rasta:

What I'd like to see in the next "evolution" though, also as mentioned:

1) An "H" crossover tube between the lead-in tubes to the mufflers. This would address the tuning issues discussed, and increase the strength/durability of the whole system.

2) A slightly more direct path through the cans for the exhaust cans. Although, I can't imagine the flow is too awful with this cut-down OEM solution now that all the steel wool packing is gone :huh2:

I could live with option 1 only addressed :P: ....but as it is now, I would be concerned about lack of cross-over, and the need for a little more "beef" down there holding it all together :unsure:

I love my Leo Vince Ti's, but this would be a great alternative, as I really like the "underslung" exhaust option for both practical and aesthetic reasons, but haven't liked the commercial alternatives currently out there, like the Quat-D.

BTW, I know it's been asked, but do you have a "general feel" for what this would cost in real $$.

al

I think the best is to contact Enzo regarding price. But I'll tell you this, I paid him 1000. I think he could do it for less now that he's done it once but on the other hand we are old friends and I told him that I wouldn't hold him responsible if it turned into a can of worms. (I had spare cans from eBay that we cut up, so I could go back to stock if the whole thing didn't work.

So in summary, he might not want to do it at all for a stranger, but you are looking at 800+ at a minimum... I think. Dropping him a line is probably better than asking me though.

"dlaing" stopped by today and took a look and listen, I bet he'll post his impressions tomorrow.

BTW Al, I'm just up here in Burlingame if you want to come by. But I am leaving for a 2 week trip on Monday, so Sunday would have to be the day.

Frank

Hi Frank,

Thanks for letting me check it out.

They really sound great!

Extremely Vivacious!

And they look every bit as good as the images.

It was a pleasure to meet you and Enzo. (not to be confused with Rolling Crow Enzo, despite the similar muffler results) Enzo did an excellent job!

I am not sold on the crossover idea that others are, but I would be sold on opening the mufflers up a little more and also adding more baffling.

(ANYBODY HAVE ANY DAMAGED MISTRALS FOR SALE, CHEAP?)

But if you ever dyno tune it, it would give me a better idea of which way to go.

Who knows? maybe you have more power everywhere?!?

The engine did sound very healthy and insynch.

Saw these cans a while back on Skykingproducts.com. Called Skyking and they don't sell them, just wicked expensive hand formed bits and pieces. They thought they were a GB product. I got intouch with a GB rep in TX and he couldn't tell me anthing other than they would cost 1,000US.. with no delivery date... I gave up on them, declared them unatainable and went on to a more traditional set up..

FIL894.jpg

How long are the cut-down mufflers?

Supertrapp IDS2 is available in 16" length

and might fit.

or_idsP.jpg

Race, trail or dual-purpose, The new SuperTrapp IDS2™ series silencer is unmatched. The IDS2™ features a new enlarged 2" end-cap, which enhances power and flow and guides exhaust away from fenders and body panels, while the lightweight aluminum design sheds pounds over stock exhaust. The Internal Disc design maximizes power, flow and tuneable benefits of a disc style silencer without the worry of heat and carbon exposure to fenders and sidepanels, while the enclosed discs are protected from mud and debris. Available with either the high flow Race Core, or efficient Quiet Core, the IDS2™ also boasts a USFS Approved Spark Arrestor and an unrivaled one-year warranty. A body clamp is included for mounting purposes.