I know...

Guest slowpoke

Guest slowpoke

When I first bought my V11 it made the usual rattling sound when the clutch lever was pullled in. It did not make the noise when in neutral with the clutch lever released. Now it makes that noise when in neutral. It's kind of embarassing when you pull up to another motorcyclist with all this clanging going on. And since I have the Quat-d exhaust it's not loud enough to drown it out. Any problems that I should be aware of or is this just normal? It is a 2001 V11 sport. Thanks

I would be very concerned.

Especially if it rattles while driving along.

I would suspect that you have busted a rivet, but I really don't have any experience with these things.

I would also check for other loose items, like the starter, the airbox, the shock absorber, or even the muffler....

Regarding the Quat-D: How do you like it?

Did you get the one with the header pipes to replace the stock headers?

Do you have the PCIII, if you do, do you need a map for it?

How does the engagement feel? I can tell you from firsthand experience that you will definitely know if the plates came apart- the clutch gets real grabby.

But I don't really know of any instances where a dual plate clutch has come off :huh2:

J

Guest slowpoke

Thanks for the replies guys. Nothing seems to be abnormal with the transmission because it shifts well, does not slip or grab and changes gear well. All that seems different is more noise. It is not excessively loud just annoying and somewhat embarassing. As for the Quat-D exhaust, I did not install it the previous owner did. The headers appear to be Moto Guzzi they have the name imprinted on them. They are ceramic coated as is the muffler. I really like the looks of the Quat-D but until you open the throttle wide it is somewhat tame volume wise. If only the sound were as good as some carbon cans it would be perfect. Performance wise it is true that the midrange 4500-6000 is somewhat enhanced but I have never ridden another V11 to have something to compare it to. The ECU has been remapped and I have not installed the Power Commander. I've been contemplating buying one from Todd with the map for my setup but because I have three other bikes to feed I have not done it yet. The bike seems to run fine other than a sporadic hiccup at 4000 rpm's and I've had no problems with it other than a low-side crash which I promptly fixed all the necessary items. Now whether I like it better than my Triumph Thruxton is a different story!

If you bought that bike from a guy in Temecula, I may have been the one who swapped him the Quat-D for the Mistrals.

If that is the bike, it sure is nice looking.

I miss the Quat-D, :( so, if you ever want to trade, let me know.

I have the round carbon fiber Mistrals.DC-Furias.jpg

Guest slowpoke

By the way dlaing I live in Vista and have been wanting to get together with some Guzzi enthusiasts to do some riding. The only problem I have is my crazy schedule. So if any of you and your friends get together for a ride let me know and maybe I can make it. Drop me a line at thrux900@yahoo.com.

will do.

You might want to edit your email address before the spam harvesters sweep it up.

Change it to something like

thrux

at

yahoo.com

I think it was Carl Allison who inspired me to do that.

My schedule has been pretty busy too, and I keep putting off fixing my gearbox leak...but we should go riding some time.

I am in Mira Mesa, but usually ride out towards Palomar.

This should be great, your name is slowpoke, so maybe I won't be the slowest!

Do you know if the custom V11 pictured started life as a "regular" 2001 V11, or perhaps was a Rosso Mandello before he repainted it, etc??

If the latter, you conceivably could have a single-plate clutch as opposed to the normal dual-plate.

I remember the ad for that bike online, it was posted here and on Guzzitech.

http://www.guzzitech.com/Classifieds.html

Customized 2001 V11S Furias (Corsa Nuda) began as a 2001 V11 Sport CF (Carbon Fiber) and is 1 of 200 units imported direct from Italy. Set-up by Pro-Italia. Custom painted in Arctic Blue Pearl. Lettering on the tank and rear section are hand-painted and the finish has been triple coated in clear-coat and polished to a wet-gloss. Many parts have been color matched in red powder-coat. Includes custom-made Ghezzi-Brian QUAT-D muffler. OEM Stainless steel head-pipes and QUAT-D have been fully thermocoated in polished aluminum. Quarter fairing, front fender and alternator cover are carbon fiber. Pod filters. Engine, transmission and final drive recently serviced with full synthetic oil (MOBIL-1 V-Twin 20W50). Front/rear brake and hydraulic clutch fluids are full synthetic DOT3/4. Adult owned and ridden with only 1000 miles. Entire bike is cleaner than new and exceptional in every detail. Offered as the first of many future FURIAS customizations at $10,500. Located in Temecula CA. Original exhaust system available for additional $275. Workshop manual additional $55. More photos can be viewed at the following link: http://www.eframes.com/default.asp?guestalbum=39512.205

Please contact Dennis at 909-302-5554 or dlclark001yahoo.com

...so it doesn't "sound" like it should have the SP clutch, but maybe you should check with the fella and see(or just run it by a shop, and have them look).

If it *is* the SP clutch, it does make racket with the clutch lever "out"(clutch engaged), which is the opposite of the standard dual-plate clutch. So beyond the other concerns about the SP clutch(do a search on single or explode), the rattle would be normal.

If however, you have the dual-plate, and it is making odd noises when engaged, I would have it checked. It shouldn't.

al

I have a clutch noise issue with my "new" 2000 V11 Sport, also. It is the rythmic, loud tapping when the clutch lever is not touched, that concerns me. The "rattle" noise when the clutch is pulled is much less disconcerting. :blink:

• 2 weeks later...

my clutch makes a slight rattle when I pull the clutch in as well. the mechanic that test rode my bike for other reasons didn't say anything to me about it. Though it is quite loud like a slight grinding, scraping, sliding noise, like shush shush shush shush - rythmic. I have not had any grabbing or shifting or slipage problems.

my clutch makes a slight rattle when I pull the clutch in as well. the mechanic that test rode my bike for other reasons didn't say anything to me about it. Though it is quite loud like a slight grinding, scraping, sliding noise, like shush shush shush shush - rythmic. I have not had any grabbing or shifting or slipage problems.

42912[/snapback]

Aside from the scraping and grinding your's is probably normal as it should make noise with the clutch pulled in.

However Brian has a noise when the clutch is out. This is normal on the single plate clutches found on Rosso Mandellos and a few other models, but not normal on a V11S.

So, Brian should have it checked out before the clutch ungracefully leaves the housing.

Al R. posted above that someone had a V11S with a single plate clutch, so anything is possible.

The single plates are known for better performance, but are less reliable(on our generation of Guzzis)

And just to be clear:

1-Single Plate as found on Rosso Mandello, noise is normal when clutch lever is out. I am not sure what happens to the noise when clutch lever is in...I think there should be NO noise, but it could just be less noise.

2-Double Plate as found on V11S, noise is normal when clutch lever is pulled in, but not normal when clutch is out. There should be no obvious clutch noise when the clutch is out.