Duc Fairing

jimbemotumbo

I have read bits and pieces about fitting Ducati 900ss fairings to the V11, but haven't found info on the necessary bracketry / supports. Any info on this? Is it a total fabrication or are there some ready made options?

If it is too hard to do (I'm the anti- fabricator) I may just look for a LM fairing .... just want more protection for longer rides later this year.

Thx!

I have read bits and pieces about fitting Ducati 900ss fairings to the V11, but haven't found info on the necessary bracketry / supports. Any info on this? Is it a total fabrication or are there some ready made options?

If it is too hard to do (I'm the anti- fabricator) I may just look for a LM fairing .... just want more protection for longer rides later this year.

Thx!

41680[/snapback]

I think it is a bit narrow for the Guzzi engine,

something for a inline-4 fairing wuld probably be better suited..

Someone used a Honda Fireblade fairing on a MG with good result.

Someone used a Honda Fireblade fairing on a MG with good result.

41681[/snapback]

I'd love to see that! The 'blade fairings are readily available in fiberglass from a number of sources! I love riding behind the fairing of my 900RR :bike:

I want to avoid the Japanese sport bike styling. That's one thing the Japanese have never been able to do very well - style / character (exceptions exist, I know). I know the BMW r fairing will work, but I am hoping to find something that will afford some protection AND be fairly easy to install. I happen to favor the look of the 70's Duc 900ss., but there may be other options as well. Just hoping someone has some installation experience that they would like to pass on. Anyone?

Guest watanabe
I want to avoid the Japanese sport bike styling. That's one thing the Japanese have never been able to do very well - style / character (exceptions exist, I know). I know the BMW r fairing will work, but I am hoping to find something that will afford some protection AND be fairly easy to install. I happen to favor the look of the 70's Duc 900ss., but there may be other options as well. Just hoping someone has some installation experience that they would like to pass on. Anyone?

41937[/snapback]

I`ve seen a V11Y2K with DUC900SS(bevel gear engine)esque fairing.

I am sure that that was not a MAGNI`s fairing.

I f you need, I can up a pic of that bike.

Try this........

http://www.airtech-streamlining.com/

41994[/snapback]

Yup, that's what I had in mind. The real question is how this mounts up. ??? I'm less than poor with fabrication, unless it involves adding many washers to bolts or dreaming up new ways to get more 15-50 into the beast than I get on the floor or on my pants.

I don't mind being first to try, but I am sure I can't figure out this mounting thing by myself. If I don't get any more info, I'll just buy the 70's duc fairing and give it a go. It's only money.

I don't want to discourage you 'cause I think the Duc fairing would look great on the Guzzi- but the BMW fairing requires you drill 8 holes, and bend 4 pieces of metal. Not that much fabrication. One thing to keep in mind is that machine shops are happy to fabricate any thing you want. Just takes a bit of cash, and this is an interesting enough project that a decent machinist would be happy to do it.

J

I don't want to discourage you 'cause I think the Duc fairing would look great on the Guzzi- but the BMW fairing requires you drill 8 holes, and bend 4 pieces of metal.  Not that much fabrication.  One thing to keep in mind is that machine shops are happy to fabricate any thing you want.  Just takes a bit of cash, and this is an interesting enough project that a decent machinist would be happy to do it.

J

42025[/snapback]

Yah, the R90S BMW fairing is a piece of cake to mount.

The biggest problem I had was painting it.

Don't you hate it when you are on your last pass with the spray can and it blurts out a goober :angry:

FWIW Airtech's fiberglass is first class and I believe they can do anything in their catalog in carbon fiber, so you would not even have to paint it!(maybe you would have to do your own clear coat???)

duc900ss.jpg

That could look real nice!

I think to mount it, you would probably want to change to the balabio headlight mount setup.

You might want to trade someone as the fork mounted headlight looks better to most people on a naked bike, and they may give you what you need.

EDIT now that I look at that picture, tha balabio light may not be forward enough.

That could look real nice!

42041[/snapback]

Bingo!

This is exactly what I was thinking about! Nearly bought a 78 900SS. Too bad I was a poor college student. Best I had was a 500 Kaw tripple. I've been dreaming of that duc ever since ... recently discovered it was just the fairing I wanted!

Okay, y'all got me excited. I'll look up a few machinists around here. Plan B will be the Beemer fairing, which is also very nice. I can sell my CF MG screen to help finance this little projekt.

Thanks all!

I want to avoid the Japanese sport bike styling.

Obviously you know what you're after but I just want to point out

that I was refering to an earlier version of fireblade which have a

"rounder" fairing that would match the V11s design better than the

newer more aggresive styling:

97_seite_rot.jpg

Fireblade SC33 1996-99

One of my less urgent projects is buying a cheap unpainted glasfiber replica fairing

put a hacksaw to it and see if/how I can make it fit nicely.

honda5.jpg

Now I understand....it's an obsession. Clearly, you are enamored of the Duc fairing. If so, then go for it, and don't worry about the BMW fairing. Time and again, most everyone on this board acknowledges that this is a passion, so you gotta go with your heart. Maybe call up airtech and have them measure width and length...hopefully it is close enough for you to match it up.

J

Guest Wayne M

I added a Lockhart Phillips cafe fairing to my Sport. It provides good upper body protection. Only needed to add a couple of braces to for support.

Wayne