registering a V11 in california ?

robbiekb

Hey all so i spose i really need to get around to registering my bike in California. I spent most of last year running it without a working Speedometer. (gotta love breaking speedos!) so the tach only shows 6400 miles or so. Is there some magic mileage number beyond which I'll get markedly less hassle when registering it here ?

..the other thing is does anyone who has moved to California know if you have to go through the whole stupid skills test again if you already have your full license from another State ?

(man I've passed the dammed driving test so many times from moving from country to country i'm so over it :) )

ah well at least i get to ride canyons in the winter time when itd be all rainy in seattle.

dunno about the registration.. but as a Canadian I had to take the written and the driving test when I moved here..

From www.dmv.ca.gov the rules for out of state say:

"If you have a license from another country, you will be required to take a driving test. If you have a license from another state, the driving test can be waived. "

Note it says "CAN be waived".... ;-) So at best you just have to take the written test, otherwise its cones for you !

Cheers, Tim

I bought my 2003 Rosso in Louisiana last year and registered it in California, without too much hassle. The DMV had to verify the bikes Frame and motor numbers, along with the Federal Standards and MOST IMPORTANTLY California Emissions compliance labels. The label that states that the bike meets Cal. Emissions was hard to find as it was on the swingarm under the plastic hugger fender. I had to go home, call the dealer, who called the distributor, find out the location of the sticker and remove the hugger, before standing in line and getting it verified. If the sticker is destroyed or you can't read the letters, you might be able to get a statement from the Distributor.

That was an easy one: I just registered a 1970 Honda SL100 for my kid. This took 8 trips to both the DMV and the CHP....I won't bore y'all but this was beauracratic hell at it's best. :angry:

Good luck and find a slow DMV office in your area, if that exists.

Andy

Just drop by any CA specifc bike board and you are sure to see some lengthy threads on this subject, with varying opinions, quoted DMV code, and people's experiences.

But bottom line, if you don't want grief, you do indeed hopefully still have the CA equivalent emissions sticker on the right side of your swingarm trellis. If not, you may be in for some trouble.

Otherwise, the other rule that may, or may not, get you is the "7500 mile rule" which basically restricts one from bringing new vehicles in from a non-CA emissions state until the "used" vehicle has over 7500 miles.

This latter law/rule seems to be sporadically enforced.

Here are some recent threads:

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?...hl=registration

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?...hl=registration

al