Selling one bike; Looking at another (NGC)

rktman1

I still can't believe it but a guy is flying from Honolulu, Hawaii to Tucson, AZ to buy my 2001 VFR800. He can't find a pre-2002 in Hawaii. The 2002+ VFR800 has Honda's VTEC technology (heavier bike, no performance gain) and it uses chain-drive for the OH cams instead of the gear-tower, pipes under the seat, plus a host of cosmetic changes. He's going to drive it to Costa Mesa, ship it to Hawaii from there, and fly back to Honolulu. I would think twice before driving to Phoenix for a used VFR.

Tomorrow afternoon I'm looking at a 2000 Aprilia Pegaso with 2K miles and hard luggage. Anyone know much about the Pegaso, besides the fact that it is a poor excuse for a dual-sport compared to the DRZ400S, DR650, KLR650, and XR650L? I plan to use it to drive to work over a gravel road to cut down my commute time. I am still leaning toward the Honda XR650L or the Suzuki DRZ400S (about the same price new - $5600 OTD). The Pegaso is going for $4500.

Tim

I know it has the Rotex (sp?) engine. The newer models are 5-valve, with FI. It is heavier than a KLR650, and the KLR650 is heavier than the DR650 and XR650L, which are both heaver than the DRZ400S. There aren't many reviews out there for the Pegaso since it is not a real popular bike. It is supposed to be a better rode bike than the other thumpers, but this means it is probably a worse gravel-road bike. The XR650L and the DRZ400S are the best "dirt bikes" of the bunch. Dual-sports are always about compromise. Sort of like a decathlete - not world-class at any one event, but at 10 events - unbeatable.

Go get a late '70's early '80's T3. It'll go all the places these poofterish 'Dual Sport's' can go and you can fix it with two rusty screwdrivers and a big 'ammer!

I vomit on anything with a rotax engine :vomit: over-complex, underbuilt bits of sh!t!!! A pox upon them all!!!

Pete

Go get a late '70's early '80's T3. It'll go all the places these poofterish 'Dual Sport's' can go and you can fix it with two rusty screwdrivers and a big 'ammer!

I vomit on anything with a rotax engine :vomit:  over-complex, underbuilt bits of sh!t!!!  A pox upon them all!!!

Pete

42077[/snapback]

Thanks. I'd love to see a T3 try to go the same places the 'poofterish' XR650L or the even more 'poofterish' DRZ400S will go offroad. That would be amusing.

BTW, I was reading a comparo of the BMW F650 and the Aprilia Pegaso 650 on the Rider Magazine website and it stated that both bikes are built in the same factory in northern Italy. Almost identical components for both bikes. The article also stated the wet weights were 440 lbs.

Jeez. This is heavier than my 929RR. 70 lbs heavier than a KLR650, 100 lbs heavier than the XR650L and DR650, and 140 lbs heavier than the DRZ400S.

Tim

There is a site oriented the the BMW F650 which has a ton of information. Try the Technical FAQ and look around. For this type of bike the earlier carburated models ( 2000 and earlier I think ) are an interesting alternative. Something low miles, clean and fully loaded seem to go for under 5k. Also micapeak.com has a ton of owner testimonials. See the Registry, I could spend all afternoon there.

Golly Pete,

You wouldn't be one of those poor souls affected by the full moon would you? I would point out that yes, a T3 would take you places that a "pufter duel purpose machine" would take you, but yes, the T3 would take some needed roadside work with a boulder and a chunk of oak, whereas the 'dually' would skamper of down the highway to find the next 'short cut gravel road with no services' trench.

Honestly, I've ridden many Aprilia product, yes with the Rotax/Bombardier power units [i have trouble calling them engines], and sort of have to agree Mr. Roper. Expressionless, emotionless, impossible for a rider to "connect", if you know what I mean. A V-twin with a counterbalancer shaft to me is like a multi with a nervous twitch.

That said, I've got no problem with a 'sourced engine' motorcycle. Perhaps the most famous and sought after motorcycle brand since the dawn of the internal combustion engine, the Brough Superior, had sourced engines, mainly and most famously from J.A.P., from B.S.A., and from Douglas.

Ciao, Steve G.