First Service

O2 V11

I have finished doing the first service at 1000 miles on my bike. Quite entertaining.

I took the forks to the shop for their oil change, something I will do myself next time. For anyone who hasn't changed their fork oil, here's something to think about. Everything had come off the rod in the right hand fork and was lying at the bottom of the fork leg. Next up I changed the engine oil, dropping the sump and cleaning the gauze screen. Really clean with only some small metal filings in the screen. I installed a new sump gasket. Next up replaced the gearbox oil and rear drive oil. Used Castrol Syntrax here with the moly for the rear drive. Amazing how the much cooler the rear drive runs now.

Ended up putting 810ml in the gearbox and 370ml in the rear drive. I retorqued the heads and set the valves to the world specs, reusing the original valve cover gaskets. Interestingly they were at .004 and .008 which would explain why I have had no idling issues from new. The studs on my right head were that loose it's a wonder it never blew the head gasket. I greased both ends of the rear shock as well as the 3 fittings on the driveshaft. The only way I could get grease into the rear u-joint was to swap grease nipples with the one on the driveshaft itself. I got the front one relatively easy with a flexible hose on the grease gun. The valve covers were very clean inside, no scunge of any sort. With all these miles put on at temperatures of less than 15 / 65 degrees it seems the issue of milky scunge in the covers is one of how far you ride, not what temperature you ride at. If I go out on the bike it would be for at least an hour or more. I know, only 1000 miles in 7 months, I choose not to ride in rain...

All I have left to do is make a manometer to balance the throttle bodies with and finally check the TPS setting. This has taken a lot of time for me to do but with the nearest dealer 360 miles away and not having a warranty anyway it is reassuring to know that it is possible to do most of the maintenance required yourself.

It seems after this I may be inside my gearbox next as today I had a couple of instances of the gear lever not wanting to move up a gear but it would downshift...

Rob