TPS setting required for PC111

O2 V11

Could someone tell me what the TPS setting should be when installing a PC111usb with the stock map? With the great debate going on at present, I want to install my PC now to see what difference it makes to my stock bike before I commence exhaust and airbox mods.

Thanks,

Rob

500-525mv is what our bikes should generally be set to.

Early on, there was a misconception the the lower voltage of other Guzzi ECU should be used.

I have not seen the TPS reading posted for the exact bike that the map was created on.

RacerX(Todd Eagan) posted something about it being an out of crate bike from MGNA.

It should have been set to stock settings, but maybe not, as the stock valve settings are too tight.

When using other bikes maps it would be ideal to know there TPS, valve, and CO settings.

Here are some websites with tuning procedures, not all aimed at our bikes....but good reading

http://www.guzzitech.com/EVTuneup-Jeff_B.html

http://www.wildguzzi.com/Tips/tips_n_tricks.htm#TPS

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/lofiversio...ex.php/t103.htm

http://groups.msn.com/TheMotoGuzziPeople/tips.msnw

http://home.pacbell.net/guzzi007/tps/TPS.html

Todd (RacerX) very patiently walked me through this when I bought a PCIII from him. The TPS for a STOCK V11 map uses a TPS of 350mv engine off. To get mine set right I had to undo what the dealer had done. Most dealers will reset the TPS to 525mv or so to get the bike to run right without a PCIII.

First step is to make sure that the TPS is set to 150mv with the linkage disconnected and the cold start cog removed from the TB. When that is set rehook everything up and using the LEFT throttle set screw (opposit the TPS) set the idle to 350 with the engine off. Mine will run about 370mv with the engine actually idling. I have played around with various settings and it is quite noticeable that this is the proper setting for the "stock" map.

You'll probably find the bike idles too low with this 350mv setting...just use the idle bleed screws and a TwinMAX to set the idle and idle balance where you want.

Hope this helps.

Randy

You'll probably find the bike idles too low with this 350mv setting...just use the idle bleed screws and a TwinMAX to set the idle and idle balance where you want.

42687[/snapback]

Yah, the 150mv is the more critical setting.

Depending on how your valves are set and other factors, a difference of 350 or 525mv will result in a very different idle speed.

My bike idles fine at 1000vegliaRPMs, and anything higher causes an uncomfortable clunk when going from neutral to first gear. Todd put a volt meter on my tps wires and got a LOW reading of 260mv, so I am apparently way off! But my bike idles nicely and I run the valves at 0.15/0.20mm. Tighter valves would lower the idle speed requiring the idle tps mv to be higher.

When you set up the PCIII, you will ideally zero your throttle position at idle. So, you will want to get close to the 350mv that Todd suggested for Randy, so that the map overlays properly.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for your replies, especially Randy, my PC111 is now installed. What an amazing difference it has made to my bike. I set the TPS as per Randy's posting then went for a ride to warm it up before I began to adjust the idle setting and throttle balance. It barely idled as I expected but even though the throttle balance had not been adjusted it was much smoother and a lot more responsive to the throttle. Using my homemade manometer (thanks to IanJ) I then set the idle speed and throttle balance. It does seem unusual to set the idle using the air bleed screws but it works. It took a while to get the throttle balance right, when ever I adjusted this, the idle setting then need readjusting, but in the end I was happy with an equal vacuum at an idle speed of 1000 RPM and also at 3000 RPM. And the TPS was still reading 350mv which is what I had initially set it at. Tomorrow, hoping for a dry one, I will go for a decent ride and confirm just how much difference a PC111 does make to one of our bikes.

Rob.

Thanks for your replies, especially Randy, my PC111 is now installed.

Rob.

44879[/snapback]

No problemo, although I certainly can't take the credit. I fiddled around alot with mine unnecessarily. If I had just done what Todd told me the first time it would have been a lot easier. :doh: But I wouldn't have had all the fun though... :luigi:

I have to say that the change in driveability is nothing short of amazing with these things. Every now and again I will load up a zero map just to remember what the original setup was like. (I know, I'm weird :grin: ) Lately I've been playing around with making my own maps such as a "mileage" map and other stuff just for a bit of fun. I guess it's a way of mixing two hobbies together! :mg:

Randy

The difference between the bike before and after fitting the PC111 is "substantial".

I still find it hard to to believe how the fitting of a PC111 can change the way a bike behaves as much as it does. Today I did about 150 miles. The bike is much more responsive to the throttle than it ever was. The idle is stronger, it will pull away with no throttle. I have never tried that before until today. My fuel consumption today was down only slightly on my first 1000 mile average but I am pleased with that. Today I pushed it harder than I had ever done before. It pulls cleanly to 7000 in 6th (running in speeds with only 1200 on the clock??). I ended up running into an Aussie who had bought his R1 over with him for a tour, I passed him and sat on about 80-90 having a blast. He tucked in behind me and enjoyed the ride. We ended up at home where I gave him lunch and he went on his way. Before he left he took some pics to post on his R1 forum. So it looks like he will get to post a pic of O2 V11 before me.....

I'll ride it for a while then download that accelerator pump thingy, more fun to come my way.

Rob

Just out of curiousity, what are your valves set to, and how many turns out are your air screws, and what does the Veglia say your idle is set to.

I am just curious as to how it relates to the TPS setting.

Thanks!

dlaing,

Not sure if you were wanting 02's response or mine...

On my bike the 350mv engine off TPS setting results in a warm idle of between 1050 and 1150 rpm. I get the idle speeds from the PowerCommander software but my tachometer shows 1100 ish as well. My 04 has the ITI ? tach though, not the Veglia. My valves are set to the "world" settings and my bleed screws are out approx 1 1/2 turns +/- about 1/8 turn for idle balance on the TwinMax set to maximum sensitivity.

I know it's an 04 not a 2000 model, but for what it's worth...

Randy

Today dawned fine and I put another 274 miles on my bike at an average speed of 55mph. Todays ride covered everything from 1st gear corners to decent straight stretches and everything in between. This being typical of most of the miles I have put on the bike so far. I try to avoid the main routes and find as many corners as I can. I have taken my bike the 40 km to work once, otherwise I use the bike solely for recreational purposes. My fuel consumption was 44.1 UKmpg, 36.7 USmpg or 15.6 km per litre. This being 10% better than the first 1000 mile average. Lets hope with more miles on the bike the gas mileage will increase even more. In reply to dlaing I was very surprised to find both bleed screws were near enough to 1 turn out. I didn't expect to find them both the same as I was continually changing both sides to obtain an even vacuum. My valves are set at 4 and 6 thou. At a 1000 Veglia rpm idle I really enjoy that soft reassuring chatter coming from my valve covers.

Rob

Thanks Randy,

That is just what I wanted to know.

It confirms that the 525mv MAY be too high.

If you had the valves set to raceco specs, the idle at 800rpms, or the air screws open alot wider it would raise some doubt about using the 350mv at idle spec.

Setting the TPS above 500mv seems like a lousy way to richen up the mixture as the TPS maxs out well before WOT, so one won't be enrichening anything above something 80% throttle.

The PCIII of course is a much better way to get the mixture right.

One might also use the 500mv spec if the valves were set to US spec with idle above 1200rpm.

Something I would not do.

The bike drops into first so much more nicely if the idle is low.

I keep mine at about 900-1000 veglia rpms, screws out about 1.5 turns, and valves to world.

Since my idle is lower than yours, my 260mv reading may not be to far off.

But I should set it properly one of these days, I just hate probing wires and have been planning soldering in a pair of access wires to the tps.

Oh, and thank you Rob, too. :bier: I was too busy writing to see your post.

That confirms it for me, that 350mv is about where one should be given the other settings.

The difference in the air screws and the idle speed between Rob's and Randy's bike seems to be consistant.