Electrical

Guest Brian Robson

Guest Brian Robson

The lights and gauges on the bike will glow extremely brightly, then will revert back to a "normal " appearence. This happens randomly at different speeds in different gears at different rev ranges. No bulbs have blown, all wires appear ok and any connection I can find has been cleaned and sprayed with WD40.

Any suggestions...bad cell in battery ?...regulator?... ground?

Does your horn guages and turn signals work properly? you might want to try and swap out your relays under your seat (the square grey thingys) with better ones (bosch maybe) or just take them out and shuffle them. It might help or you have something more serious wrong. and this someone else will know more. but good luck :bike::huh2::luigi::bike:

Guest Brian Robson

Everthing works OK, horn, indicators etc, just everything is brighter...BUT I did change the starter relay for a new Bosch one. I will change it back and see if the problem persists.

The lights and gauges on the bike will glow extremely brightly, then will revert back to a "normal " appearence. This happens randomly at different speeds in different gears at different rev ranges. No bulbs have blown, all wires appear ok and any connection I can find has been cleaned and sprayed with WD40.

Any suggestions...bad cell in battery ?...regulator?... ground?

43065[/snapback]

Check all of your battery leads, especially the ground wire and that the regulator is firmly bolted in place.

Check all of your battery leads, especially the ground wire and that the regulator is firmly bolted in place.

For sure check the ground-points~!

That phenomenon was the death-rattle of the regulator/rectifier on a number of Honda models..... I hope it's not a similarly grave sign for the Guzzi.

Guest Brian Robson

Checked all the ground points working back towards the battery, where there was a very loose bolt attempting to restrain 4 ground wires...hopefully problem solved...we'll find out tonight!

Thanks to everyone for their help.

Yes, brian, that should do the job. I had the exact same problem on my Valkyrie. It took hours to find the loose connection, but completely solved the problem.

Try to get some blue locktite on the threads. I use the red stuff if it looks like something I won't need to remove very often.. A little dab will do ya.

But definitely keep an eye on it! When the lights flare up, they are only doing that because the current (well, voltage but V=IR) through them surged. That same current is feeding your computer as well and computers don't do so well with high voltage.

Jason

Guest Brian Robson

Seemed to fix it...rode tonight with tha same brightness on the lights and dash...thanks for all the advice. Whilst I can turn a wrench, electrics tend to baffle me sometimes. :homer: