V-sump and oil cooling

gthyni

I heard somewhere that a V-sump would keep the oil temp at approriate levels

even with the stock oil cooler?

I contemplating buying a Moto Spezial V-sump and would love to get rid of the oil

cooler if it is safe.

0034-1531.jpg

any advise?

Guest vkerrigan

Goren..........I wouldn't think that Sweden gets hot enough in Summer to cause a problem although you may want to get one of those dipsticks that has an oil temperature guage built in to monitor the oil temp just in case. If it does, you can always put it back on. Oil temps cut both ways......if it doesn't get warm enough you face contamination problems, too hot and you lose lubricity.

The new sump looks like its well made and the cover over the filter is a nice (and practical) touch as well. Perhaps Paul, Pete or another will chime in with some direct experience.. :) .....vk

I have been running the Moto Spezial V sump for 20,000 worry free miles on my 2000 V11 Sport. Never had the oil light come on with hard braking or acceleration. The center oil pickup is great.

Raceco states that the sump will cool the engine enough for a 120 hp. engine.

The main problem when installing the oil sump on the Spine framed bike is that a support piece needs to be fabricate to help support the side stand. I ran my side stand with out the extra brace and over a few months the cast iron side stand mount started to bend.

Mike

I heard somewhere that a V-sump would keep the oil temp at approriate levels

even with the stock oil cooler?

I contemplating buying a Moto Spezial V-sump and would love to get rid of the oil

cooler if it is safe.

0034-1531.jpg

any advise?

43183[/snapback]

deepV.jpg

Since several years Dynotec use the v-sump for their 1225 4v engines bikes with 136 HP.

I have it on the 2 bikes with big bore engine and no problem.

Paul also go it on his bike

Guest MotoMessiah

Could some one elaborate on the benefits (or namely what the heck it is - a bigger sump)?

Is it like a windage tray to keep the oil from sloshing in hard cornering? :bike:

By the way also buy the plate to put between engine casing & oil v sump.

if one day, you do a wheeling it will help to prevent engine breaking.

JM

that 's it and ofr Paul and we have highly tuned engine (Paul ask Dynotec to do few work on his engine in order to be such powerfull & torquous than i :drink: )

Have a look :

tr2004scuderiajmm.jpg

As it is, our sumps are deeper than the Californias that have no oil coolers, produce more torque and often ridden as hard as our bikes. Granted they do not have the same HP, but I'll bet you could keep the stock sump and toss the cooler and only lose 10% of your engine's lifespan(assuming you bridge where the oil lines were so the oil does not pour out!)

However if you live somewhere with traffic jams, slow speeds, and hot weather, keep the cooler or get the deeper sump. You may double the life.

Deep sump and no cooler are fine, as everyone said.

And if you are a city courier, or spend a lot of time below 20KPH, add a fan.

Living in places like NYC in Summer are tough on air cooled bikes.

Stockholm, or wherever you are in Sweden, I imagine is not bad at all.

California is great as you can lane split almost everywhere, but I keep my oil cooler because I don't want to take chances, and once in a great while, I'll spend an hour slowly lane splitting in 90F weather through LA.

...By the way also buy the plate to put between engine casing & oil v sump.

if one day, you do a wheeling it will help to prevent engine breaking....

Zebulon,

Do you mean windage/splash plate. Where do you get this from. I know Pete Roper made one for the Tontis, & Enzo was working on something. Is there one available from stock somewhere?

KB

Well,

I am tuning the engine a bit, soo..

I live 1000 km north of Stockholm so high temperatures are

not a problem most days.

I hope I get the MotoSpezial catalogue next week,

The plan:

I think I will order a V-sump, remove the cooler and

get some kind of oil temp meter (a good thing to have

anyway on any tuned engine).

On my old LM3 I have an oil temperature meter. Even in summer on the highway, and for you on german highways (plus 180 km/h), I don't see more than 130 deg Celsius.

For me this means next year: V11 with standard sump, additional oil meter and no extra cooler. I commute from April to Oktober, and I found that on normal roads and on 15° to 20°C days the oil hardly gets 80°. Comes rain it stays cold!

HUbert

Zebulon,

Do you mean windage/splash plate. Where do you get this from. I know Pete Roper made one for the Tontis, & Enzo was working on something. Is there one available from stock somewhere?

43239[/snapback]

That's it

You could have this from Dynotec, i didnot check but perhaps it is done by motospezial ! ?

I got it on the 2 - 1225 cc bikes