air box

Guest fifi93

but they sure didn't make it easy to get that tank off. Or back on for that matter.

43249[/snapback]

Any tips on tank removal? I've looked at mine a couple of times but I can never figure out how to turn the gas off before I disconnect the hoses so I just lift it up and slide something between the frame and the tank to keep it out of the way - I'm sure there is a better way ...

alright here's what I did. the "passenger" or right side of the bike I disconnected the fuel line my tank was almost empty I then lifted up the tank carefully and swung it over towards me standing on the left side of the bike with the tools I needed in hand held on to the tank with my knee and left arm against the bike took the stock airbox off with my right pulled it all out then put the tank back on as gently as possible I can't say there is an easier way without disconnecting everything because I couldn't see how to fully drain the tank without getting fuel everywhere so I said "screw it" and muscled my way through. I hope someone can offer a little more sound advice but it was nice out and I've been waiting all winter to get those pods on. And I checked, dealers don't have vaseline on hand you have to bring your own.

alright here's what I did. the "passenger" or right side of the bike I disconnected the fuel line my tank was almost empty I then lifted up the tank carefully and swung it over towards me

[snip]

43461[/snapback]

....he has a 2004 with the in-tank pump/filter module, so doesn't have the external petcock(on the left) and fuel-return/pressure-regulator on the right like your 2000.

His has fuel quick-disconnects, and just two vent lines to pop off.... no worry about shutting off the fuel supply, although they will leak a few drops when one pops them off.

BTW, for the 2000-2002 external fuel-pump and filter bikes, you simply turn off the petcock(if you have a manual one 2001-2002), or just pop off the fuel supply line(if you have the electric petcock 2000-2001)... pop off the fuel return line, and your two vents... and the tank lifts right off.

al

based upon how my polyester clothes crackle & stick to me in dry weather...  :grin:

43449[/snapback]

You're a real lady-killer, I bet. :helmet:

Thanks for the info- now I'll look into getting a condom for my K&N. :homer::homer::homer:

J

From the thread(poll):

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?...18&hl=pods&st=0

Mine:

post-5-1055141423.jpg

post-5-1055141569.jpg

You can perhaps see them better here:

post-5-1083817709.jpg

Also of interest, I still wonder if these would fit the EFI V11 bikes:

Sport City Velocity Tubes

UPDATE: Heard back from the Sport City folks that these will not fit a 2V bike.

post-5-1067038046.jpg

K&N's are very free-flowing because they don't filter the microscopic dust that actually eats an engine very well. You want your engine to last?

Not to discount that some particles will get through the K&N filter (or any filter for that matter) but I've got 165k miles on my r65 and it just keeps on going. It's had a K&N since sometime in the late 80's. To be fair, I rebuilt the heads because of oil consumption around 105k and put in fresh rings just because I was in there. Everything but the guides and seats looked great.

Of course, your results may vary.

johnk

YEAH I wish mine didn't have all that external stuff to deal with it sounds easier to get it all off then the actual practice of it. maybe its easier than it looked but I got through it. I almost wish I would have held out for a 2004 cafe sport I like those sooo much I got a real good deal on my 00' with 3,800 for 6,800 last april. So beggers can't be choosy in theroy I should have not gotten my first bike and went straight for the goose. but hindsight is 20/20 and who cares I'll stop ranting I'm on the goose now. :mg:

...for the 2000-2002 external fuel-pump and filter bikes, you simply turn off the petcock....

A warning - I managed to flood the garage w/ petrol twice before I figured the manual petcock on my 02 wasn't closing fully. WD40 freed it off & I got it shut. Even then it didn't close fully & continued to dribble a little all the while. Be as sure as u can that the petrol's off before disconnecting hoses cos once they're off & splashing petrol all over the place life gets hectic....Next time I'll try to have an empty tank & do it outside....Anyone replaced that petcock w/ better one?

That's a neat job you did w/the filters Al. They tuck in great & you keep the panels.

KB :sun:

A warning - I managed to flood the garage w/ petrol twice before I figured the manual petcock on my 02 wasn't closing fully. WD40 freed it off & I got it shut. Even then it didn't close fully & continued to dribble a little all the while. Be as sure as u can that the petrol's off before disconnecting hoses cos once they're off & splashing petrol all over the place life gets hectic....Next time I'll try to have an empty tank & do it outside....Anyone replaced that petcock w/ better one?

That's a neat job you did w/the filters Al. They tuck in great & you keep the panels.

KB :sun:

43531[/snapback]

Even with the external petcock supposedly closed, I would often still plug it will some chunk of rubber hose, just in case it dribbled.