Stupidest bike name

Admin Jaap

What about the Yamahahahaha "Drag Star" always makes me think of a pantomime dame!

Then there is the "Neos" some kind of scooter, God knows who is responsible.

The Suzuki "Burgman" aka the Burgervan.

As for Harley, they have such long and memorable names like FLHTC Electra Glide Ultra Classic Heritage whatnot etc etc etc. Now that IS silly.

How about a 5th.... hmmm there must be a real howler out there somewhere....

Got it: The Honda "Lead" another stupid girly twist and go. This thing is so slow there is no chance of it leading anything, and it should probably be pronounced lead as in the heavy metal.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Velousa, Virago, CBR-whats that stand for anyway? Bandit-bike makes the name bad to me, Ninja come on I thought that was dumb when I was 5, haha Ninja, Katana, the list goes on and on usually japanese bikes have the stupidest names. I'm also not a fan of the harley heiarchy, ya know they have a new bike and its the Dyna wide glide XTCFTLSI.blahblahblah. I guess I just hate everybody.

I think a Hayabusa is a Japanese hawk/eagle/falcon so the name is pretty cool - just sounds funny in the original language.

My vote goes for bad is 'Volusia'.  My favorite is, of course, LeMans, but I've always liked the name 'SuperHawk' - since the mid-60s.

Tim

43450[/snapback]

A Hayabusa is a Japanese hawk that (supposedly) attacks and kills blackbirds. So it was an in-joke regarding the Honda Blackbird (which was the fastest bike at the time). The Hayabusa is a Blackbird killer...

I would have to thow my vote at the Rune also. Not only a ridiculous name but a ridiculous bike. Of course I'd still like to ride one. :D

I'll second that - it sounds like a cross between  ... never mind  :blink:

43454[/snapback]

Though I like the bike a lot, I agree that Ballabio is a stupid name.

On the other hand, what about the model names like

YZF-R1

FZ1

YZF-R6

FZ6

YZF600R

I'm so confused...

Not only on the short list as one of the ugliest bikes ever made, one of the worst bombshells in the sales dept, but the worst name by far:

Suzuki MADURA

If you were lucky enough to buy one of these puppies new, you would have realized a 50% depreciation in one day! and 75% in 1 yr.

Ciao, Steve G.

I agree on "Ninja"... I really couldn't bring myself to buy a Kawi (and I like Kawi's) sport bike because of the Ninja on it.. makes me think of Chris Farley in black tights, and that's not a long term mental health strategy...

Madura.. good point. sounds like a southern insult as in "y'all can kiss madura"...

I can't figure out if Volusia sounds like a skanky exotic dancer or that sound your diaphagm makes when you projectile vomit .. I think its the latter...

But what about a 1981 Yamaha "Exciter" ?? woo hoo..

Stupid motorcycle[anything] names?? ..... anything that sounds too "pretentious" IMHO :huh2:

It's one of those hard to define, but "you know it when you see[hear] it" rules, that falls under the "common sense" paradigm :P

Methinks that the fact some things end up with these names indicates that said marketeer has a lack of the aforementioned "common sense" :D

..yeah, I never liked "Stone" or frankly any "American State" name for foreign products like the California, Nevada, or similarly Blaupunkt radios which for some weird reason had US City names for their models :blink:

Come on guys, embrace your own heritage... sheesh :P

Griso is "bodygaurd" in Italian slang from what I understand.

al

Guest goffredo
..yeah, I never liked "Stone" or frankly any "American State" name for foreign products like the California, Nevada, or similarly Blaupunkt radios which for some weird reason had US City names for their models  :blink:

Come on guys, embrace your own heritage... sheesh  :P

Griso is "bodygaurd" in Italian slang from what I understand.

al

43543[/snapback]

More than that! Griso is not a noun in Italian slang. Not at all. It is the First Name of a character in the famous 9th century Italian Novel "I Promessi Sposi" by Alessandro Manzoni.

The tale of the book is set in the Lake of Como area and il Griso is the tough, mean and cruel bodyguard of the evil Don Rodrigo (sort of the Godfather of the times :-) ). I think it is quite a cool name for a bike.

G.

PS: Breva in Spanish means pussy... That's why it is called STR 750 over there.