HID Lighting System for V11

Guest dopiata

Guest dopiata

The only one I can see that will work is a Hella Kit with ballasts or an LSL ... which is a drop in kit.

Anyone else have any ideas?

I want the bike to look like a Ghezzi.

Thanks

At $4hondo it better be a good headlamp. I think my headlamp works fine and looks nice is there maybe super bright super white bulb replacements for it instead of a costly HID conversion? maybe I'm just too lazy to keep researching and someone already has them.

BTW I checked out that Netherlands forum. I don't speak netherlandese but did you start that site also Jaap? Ifso cheers and you have wayy too much free time.

:bier:

I'm sure it's just me, but I can't help it, I think the HID light setups on bikes are just about the ugliest things that could ever be put on a bike. The HID's remind of the stupid robot in "Saturn 3". A horrible robot - a worse movie.

... Carl, are you talking about "projector" beams(which is a lens type), versus HID(which can use a projector lens as well)?

If so, I agree that projectors always look less classic, and would look awful on a Sport/LeMans IMHO.

The lights shown on the Ghezzi&Brian above are projectors for example, but I don't think they are HIDs.

Now, all that being said, if someone made a kit that would fit inside our stock headlamp enclosure, that would be something I'd be interested, for say... around $300.

Why?

Well, for one, the HID setup uses about half the power.

Also, although there is evidence that the higher temp HID may actually be worse for night vision at the periphery of the beam, the stock headlamp is fairly meager being a single beam. So I could go for the better lighting.

The challenge of course is that we have a single lens setup. So we would have to have a servo actuated HID setup to move and shield the HID bulb's focal point and cutoff for high and low beam. These kits are available, but usually sourced from salvaged Audi's, etc... and bought as a pair for about $500. So two people would probably want to go in and split the cost.

Now, these particular "kits" aren't really kits so much as just the parts required.... so someone would still have to take the risk of trying to make it all fit. And these projectors are pretty long, so I don't know if they'd fit :huh2:

And alternatively, of course the "drop in H4 conversion" kits are not just junk, but illegal here in the US. One can't just put a rebased HID bulb in our reflector and expect it to put out a reasonable beam pattern.

Troll around other "larger" bike forums, and search for various posts on HID conversions, and you should find many. It should become obvious that only the most carefully executed(and usually expensive) conversions actually produce usable beam cutoff/patterns.

al

Thanks for the link TX!

I was considering the $500 motorized H4 bulb, but this is a better solution for a lower price.

I see an HID conversion as a 20Watt boost in alternator output from idle to redline. For a larger alternator (if you could even buy one) to put out that much more power, it would probably suck off a couple of HP numbers.

I am not really fond of the blinding blue/white light, but I'll take it.

I think I'll order it myself for $400 plus shipping.

And I won't give my dealer the opportunity to install it for fear of offending him!

Or maybe I should let him order it, charge me $450, plus $50-100 labor. :grin:

http://www.jwspeaker.com/catalog/forward_l.../model_8100.htm

model_8100.jpg

MODEL 8100

HID MOTORCYCLE HEADLIGHT

The Model 8100 HID Motorcycle Headlight features a unique design, advanced reflector optics and separate bulbs for high/low functions. Built to last, it withstands shock and vibration. The headlight comes standard with a waterproof control module. Motorcycles with nacelles or fairings require the Speaker Retaining Ring Kit.

Mounting:

Headlight Housings (7" Round 6014 & 6015).

HID Bulb:

Low Beam - D1, 35W, 3.2 AMPS

Halogen Bulb:

High Beam - H8, 35W, 2.5 AMPS

Standards:

DOT Approved & FMVSS 108

Now, that *is* an interesting solution. It is a 7" lens, which typically is an odd size, but is the size of the LeMans lens if I recall :thumbsup:

So, if so... I might actually look into this, as it also offers the durability/redundancy of a two bulb solution, which is very attractive to me since it's so hard to change our light.

Although it is odd/interesting that the high beam is a standard halogen, unit :huh2:

Neat. ...if this fits(depth is a concern too, and I'm sure it won't fit in the stock LeMans bucket without some cutting), this could be "the" solution :bike:

al

...that's what I was thinking. I'm sure on the LeMans, one could cut the back out of the bucket if necessary, so you could still mount it using the OEM bracketry. It looks like it is already weather tight from the drawing, and being inside the fairing, water/weather shouldn't be a big issue... but that's just an assumption at this point.

I don't know what it would take to use this on a Sport, as the bucket is an issue, and the Sport headlight is bigger than 7 inches.

They apparently sell a bucket for it, two models actually, but I couldn't find it off hand.

Their specified bucket model is the 6014 and 6015

al

Although it is odd/interesting that the high beam is a standard halogen, unit  :huh2:

43698[/snapback]

HID can't "start" quickly; kinda like sodium vapor streetlights, that take some time to "kick on."

Since few people drive w/ their highs on for any length of time, but rather use it temporarily to flash a signal to another driver, it doesn't make sense to have that HID.

That said, HID is just a fad. The future is high-output LED arrays with faceted reflectors for a truly even & bright lit field of view. It's coming, just give it time. The neat thing is that it'll be a drop-in replacement for existing sealed-beam form factors. [/futurist mode]

:thumbsup: