Notes from the Moto Guzzi Dealers' Meeting

mojohand

Cross-posting/copying from the Wildguzzi discussion list: a great summary from a great dealer. Hope you enjoy...

--------

Ok every one listen up school is in session. I went to the MGNA Dealer meeting on 2/18/05 and here is what I have to report.

Marketing : They will be advertising alot this year with magazine and internet sites. Going on right now the campaning is for financing 2003 models 1.9% for 60months and 2004 models 3.9% for 60months depending on your credit history of course this is good till May 31st.

Breva 1100 : They had a 2006 Breva 1100 at the meeting and I absoulutely loved it. I might have to pawn every thing I have to get one for my self I loved it so much. It looks good and feels so good to sit one it. US production will start in July and should be arriving on our showrooms in September but they are only bringing 180 units to the states. so if you want one I would suggest placing a forward order because there won't even be enought for two per dealer.

Grizo 1100 : No official word but should arrive in the US in March 2006

MGS01 Corsa : Right now there are only 10 for the US but the US has the most demand for this bike so right now they are trying to get another 20 for the US. There will Be NO MGS01 Street model. That Project has been terminated. To get a MGS01 will require you to have a $2,000 deposit and a signed purchase order at the dealer.

Sales : In 2003 there were 1,162 new Moto Guzzi's retailed. In 2004 there were only 870 new Moto Guzzi's retailed. I spoke to MGNA's Vice President personally and this is what he told me. They are going to Terminate production on the LeMans, Titanium, Stones, EV, & all special edition V11's. The new line up will be maybe the V11 & EV Touring, and for sure the 750 Breva, 1100 Breva, 750 Nevada, and the Grizo. I found this hard to believe but it looks like it is true. there will not be any 2005 Models except the Nevada 750 & MGS01. They have 270 2003 & 2004 V11's, EV's, Stone, & Breva 750's in the warehouse to get ride of so they didn't order any 2005 V11's, EV's, Stone's & Breva 750's.

DEMO Rides : Daytona March 4-7, MGNOC National May 26-29, Americade June 6-11, Honda Hoot June 21-25, Leguna Seca July 5-10, and Mid Ohio July 14-17. I know in the past we were dissapointed with no shows but this is what they said. Also if you test ride a Moto Guzzi at any of these events and buy one from your dealer within 30 days you will get a $100 credit for parts or accessories.

Piaggio : The Sale became official on 12/28/04. In september 2004 Piaggio gave Aprilia and Moto Guzzi $400,000,000 to keep operating and now Aprilia and Moto Guzzi are virtually debt free. They say that the US will be a major battle ground for Aprilia and Moto Guzzi in the comming years and I hope that is true and eventually Piaggio Group wants to go public on the stock market. Piaggio is 4 times larger than Ducati with 2 billion in sales. In 2004 Piaggio sold 600,000 units and Ducati sold 40,000 units world wide.

Hydro Cam Fix : there is a topic called Hydro Cam Update (I Think) I posted what the fix is going to be under that topic after all this I didn't want to type it all over so check that out as well.

They are going to Terminate production on the LeMans, Titanium, Stones, EV, & all special edition V11's. The new line up will be maybe the V11 & EV Touring, and for sure the 750 Breva, 1100 Breva, 750 Nevada, and the Grizo. I found this hard to believe but it looks like it is true. there will not be any 2005 Models except the Nevada 750 & MGS01. They have 270 2003 & 2004 V11's, EV's, Stone, & Breva 750's in the warehouse to get ride of so they didn't order any 2005 V11's, EV's, Stone's & Breva 750's.

Although you may not know the answer since you are simply passing on this info, I wonder what is meant by "The new line up will be maybe the V11 & EV Touring" .... does "V11" mean just the "V11 Naked(Sport)" or one of the "V11 cruisers"?

It's too bad the LeMans is on haitus, but perhaps a new platform will bring the LeMans name back to the forefront of performance bikes in the future, versus just a badge engineered Sport. I would welcome that :bike:

I'm sure tough times are ahead, but I think they offer a lot of opportunity for MG if executed upon. And if the old models like the Sport have to fade away for some advancements... well that's progress.... after all, the model is six years old, and that's pretty long in dog(motorcycle) years :P

al

The 1100/870 units sold- is that US or World?

Does anyone have an idea of how much profit the factory makes on a bike (on average)?

Jason

43768[/snapback]

It was an MGNA meeting, so the numbers are likely referring to U.S. sales. Average profits? Well, MG tends to overprice the product badly at release and when they sell poorly, drastically cut the prices to sell off inventory which gives the dealers fits. Kind of hard to see where there is an average in that kind of selling methodology.

Although you may not know the answer since you are simply passing on this info, I wonder what is meant by "The new line up will be maybe the V11 & EV Touring" .... does "V11" mean just the "V11 Naked(Sport)" or one of the "V11 cruisers"?

Almost certainly the cruisers; industry-wide they're outselling the sportbikes 2:1 & have been for years. I imagine for Guzzi they outsell sport models between 3:1 & 5:1. Personally, I cannot imagine why, but that's reality for ya!

It's too bad the LeMans is on haitus, but perhaps a new platform will bring the LeMans name back to the forefront of performance bikes in the future, versus just a badge engineered Sport.

43733[/snapback]

Well, the original LeMans was just a Sport w/ a bikini fairing thrown on it: whaddaya want fer nuthin - a rubber biscuit? Oh yes, the LeMans should come kitted for higher output than the other models as it did historically, but that's just not possible now that "bigger valves & carbs" are a thing of the past due to smog-certification issues. So no mocking the current LeMans, y'hear? <_>

:thumbsup: