Okay you PacNorthWesters!

Dirtybill

Well Cafe Veloce is the same as it has always been...still has the bike decor and 10% off for riding in. This was as of a couple weeks ago anyway.

As far as mexican food...the best in the area is actually down in Tacoma. A place called Moctezuma's http://www.moctezumas.com/ I am a bit of a mexican food snob...comes from growing up in New Mexico and Texas...and they are the best I've found around. Love the chile colorado :food: But since you specifically said Seattle north...then I would say the second best place is a hole in the wall just north of Ballard on Holman Rd (across from the Dicksdrivein) It's called Burrito Loco. I think they used to have one in Kirkland and may still have one in U-Village, but the original has always been the best. Lemme know what you think...

Randy

original? thats got to be a chain I think theres a burrito loco near me in shakopee (30mi), we got all kinds of neat names from the native americans here in minniesoda

44471[/snapback]

Yeah, Burrito Loco looks like a pretty common restaurant name, at least according to Google :P But the two (I think) Burrito Loco's here are a family run outfit. I've been going there for years, usually a couple times a week at work, and have watched their kids and cousins grow up working there. Gotta love those places that the owner sees you arrive outside and tells the cook to start your meal before you even get in the door. Or that's just a sign that I'm too predictable... :lol:

R

Hi Bill,

If you don't feel like the long drive to Ballard, check out the place in Sumas, 200 yds south of the border crossing on the left. You will have to go south of the border for good Mexican. There is quite a population established in the Sumas/Bellingham/Lynden triangle as a result of the farming area north-east of Bellingham. I've been to Mexico many times, and this is as traditional as it gets. Can't recall the name of the place, but hey, Sumas? Blink twice and you are on your way to Mt. Baker.

Ciao, Steve G.

Guest Roadslayer

Dirtybill. The best Mexican restaurant ever is the Mexico Cafe in Westside Mount Vernon. It's owned buy the Rivas family who are third generation Americans. We've been going there since they opened in the mid sixties. As this Texas family hadn't had Mexican food in 10 years it was a real treat when they openned. Their food is entirely unique and I've used it as the standard of measure for all other Mexican joints since and I,ve even tried the 'ritzy' places in Palm Springs,Houston,San Francisco, ad infinitum. Try their 'smothered' anything. The tortillas are homemade and are not those freeze dried 'taco shells' that explode when you bite into them like all other places use. Granted,some people don't like the place,maybe because it's not exactly like all the cookie cutter places we've come to expect. Ride up north just 60 miles from Seattle. Take the back way if you can or take the I 5 exit,then to West side and look for the place on the left. After that there are plenty of places around Skagit Valley were you can peg the speedo on whatever you're riding. "Cheers" Roadslayer :drink:

Guest Roadslayer

Dirtybill. One more place. If you continue on from Westside to Anacortes try Estefon's on the left . They have an extensive seafood section on their menu along with the usual Mexi fare which is also good. Try the Mariseusco or however it's spelled. It's a variety of fish,shrimp and lots of calemari served over a bed of rice and mushrooms. Good people too. "Cheers" Roadslayer :notworthy:

Hi Bill,

If you don't feel like the long drive to Ballard, check out the place in Sumas, 200 yds south of the border crossing on the left. You will have to go south of the border for good Mexican. There is quite a population established in the Sumas/Bellingham/Lynden triangle as a result of the farming area north-east of Bellingham. I've been to Mexico many times, and this is as traditional as it gets. Can't recall the name of the place, but hey, Sumas? Blink twice and you are on your way to Mt. Baker.

Ciao, Steve G.

44507[/snapback]

It is called El Nopal and the food is awesome there. I also find that if you tell the border guards you are going to El Nopal they almost never ask any questions and you cross very quickly. Works for the trip north to tell the Canadian customs too.

The best meal is just to ask for the chef to make you something special. Also ask for the soup that the chef likes if you want something really spicy. Then there are the Mexican coffee's. Don't have any of them if you are going to ride your bike afterwards. They make you feel like Speedy gonzles!!!!

F that sh*t. I live in Ballard in Seattle, and those recommended sites are LAME. I also used to live in San Francisco so I know what I'm talkin' about.

Now, Ballard Ave. is about the coolest place in Seattle these days. If you stop there on any weekend night, you will find five or six places playing live music within two blocks. One place, 'The Tractor Tavern' features national acts. The best Mexican restaurant in the area is also right there my friend. I was there last weekend, and one of the richest multimillionaires in Seattle was sitting beside me in this dive. Word travels. Here it is. Order any mole' and think you went to Heaven:

La Carta de Oaxaca

Part of Ballard’s new wave of Mexican eateries, La Carta is tiny but highly stylized. Spartan and clean, its white walls covered with framed black-and-white photos of Oaxacan people and scenes, it looks more like an art gallery than a restaurant. But the dishes coming out of the open stainless-steel kitchen put any doubt to rest. The house specialty, mole negro, is on the sweet side and tastes great atop pork or chicken, served with rice and tortillas. Other standouts are spicy fish soup and molotes: three fried tortillas stuffed with potatoes and beef sausage and garnished attractively with guacamole, hot sauce, and Oaxacan cheese. The plates are small but so are the prices, so the menu’s great for sampling and sharing, tapas-style. The margaritas are practically perfect, which isn’t a surprise, considering La Carta’s bar shares management with Fu Kun Wu, Thaiku’s trendy lounge. K.M.

5431 Ballard Ave. N.W., 206-782-8722. $$

Just curious: Is there such a thing as a local US cuisine? (I don't mean the fastfood chains) Or is it all imported, like in Holland? Mexican, Italian, French, Chinese...And if there is, is there a big difference between f.i. east- and west coast?

Guest vkerrigan

Jaap & staedtler..............thats an excellent link to Southern US cuisine. There is also a Midwest cuisine with meats and vegetables native to the area and where buffets are offered three meals a day :blink: . Most of our cuisine though has been brought in from other countries by immigrants. As far as regionalization, I think the various regional cuisines of China, Italy, etc are still represented well in the larger cities by non-chain restaurants. Mexican food & derivitives may be where we have "invented" something. Besides the true Mexican, Cuban (S. Fla) S. American and Spanish offerings, the Tex-Mex cuisine is very popular throughout the country.........vk