"02" LeMans trannies

Guest Roadslayer

Guest Roadslayer
<_<<_< Is it just my imagination or are '02' Lemans the only ones with blown tranny springs? Some of you may recall everything was fine with my new bike then "it" happened. I read the emergency fixes on the road but is there a fix like buying a new,ie,side plate or something? I really love the bike and have it all fixed up for sportouring,but I have this issue with the damn thing blowing up 80 miles from home when I,m on my way to Mexico. Please help. "CHEERS" Roadslayer.

Guest Brian Robson

You can choose to ride and worry, or you can just choose to ride.

I have an 02 LeMans with 77,000 Kms and as this almost twice the circumference of the earth, I think Mexico is feasible. :race::race:

If you are really worried why not just take the selector cover off and check that the return spring coil is generously sloppy on the spigot thingy. Then you will know how to get it apart and back together again, and can carry a spare spring.

Murphy's law guarantees that if you buy a spare spring the one in there will never break! :thumbsup:

Guest Roadslayer

Brian. Thanks for the encouragement. Nogbad. As a firm believer in Murphy's Law I decided to make the purchase of a tranny spring my first. It is because I bought the spring that the spring broke. That is,that's what I believe,I think. And Paul. That part number stuff is exactly that kind of information I'm seeking. Thank you all. "Cheers" Roadslayer :bike:

I just have been looking in the parts list from teh gearbox, and I see there that a number of parts arround the selector are changed from frame number:

KT 111436, as far as I could check are the  partnumbers before this change all the same from 1999

44578[/snapback]

Weird. The early bikes appear to have a molding in the case for the part that they later added.

sidecover.jpg

well I checked a bit more, the never 2003/2004 versions have even more parts added. And some changed. And then the mgs01 gearslector has some changed parts too, again. Nice thing there is that the selector shaft, that is teh one that sticks out, and get operated from your foot has needlebearings. Maybe that is possible to do yourself with some machining.

But if you have nothing to do, find al changes, here are the documents

Guest Roadslayer
:sun: I was thinking of buying a whole new sidecover seeing how the problem seems to be somewhere in it's design or fabrication. I had the spring shaft ground down to so many mm as per someones suggestion. Thanks again. 'Cheers' Roadslayer.