My eagle is missing

Guest Nogbad

Took the V11 out today, and when I got back I noticed that the little ally eagle badge from the front of the alternator cover had flown away! It is flaking badly now, although the rest of the engine seems ok.

Took the V11 out today, and when I got back I noticed that the little ally eagle badge from the front of the alternator cover had flown away! It is flaking badly now, although the rest of the engine seems ok.

44599[/snapback]

I have a spare one somewhere- you are welcome to it.

Guy

:bier: Thats very good of you. I am planning to take the cover off, strip the paint, pickle the corrosion off and repaint with a decent chromate etch primer and gloss silver.

I keep thinking I should fit some kind of mudflap to the front fender.

44599[/snapback]

You owe Guzzirider big time. These little jewels are something like $25 through MGNA.

I've just resigned myself that the alternator cover needs repainting once every year or so. It's a quick an easy job, and one can take the time to put fresh double-sided tape on the eagle.

I use the "Hammerite" type paint, and it hides dings well, and seems quite durable.

al

... mine was, as well as the ones on the "pork chops", they just peel right off with a plastic putty knife :luigi:

I went down to the local hardware store and bought some sort of "super" double stick foam tape(thin), trimmed it up, and it seems to hold as well as the original tape-stuff.

But yeah, they pull right off....

al

Forty one bucks... That rings a bell. When my local Buell dealer sold me my (used) V11 Sport, they did the 600 mile service and forgot to tighten the screws on the alternator cover. Less than a hundred miles later, I had no cover. Over a hundred bucks to replace both. That shop split the cost with me for the replacement parts. I guess the cover is around $60.

And yeah, they're just taped on. Be sure to put the slight bend in the new part to match the curve of the alternator cover so it will adhere better.

Let me share my experience with this pesky little cover and how I managed a 100% cure 3.5 years ago:

All you need is a wheel paint for few bucks. The brand is VHT, it is called polyurethane wheel paint, color code SP-186 (Rally Silver), sold in 11oz. spray can for CA$7.52.

This paint is really amazing, fully protects aluminum, steel or chrome (yes, it comes clearcoat too) surface against oxidation, is totally chip resistant, extremely hard when dries. No primer needed.

I ride my bike all year. Today when I went for a ride I saw lots of dried salt on the streets and hwy. I am convinced my whole bike will rust away before that cover will have even one chip or blemish. Seriously.

One of these days I will spray my oil pan with it too. If needed it'll be good for the engine also, I'm sure.

You owe Guzzirider big time. These little jewels are something like $25 through MGNA.

44610[/snapback]

The reason I have a spare is that a few winters ago I had the alternator cover (from my old 1100 Sport Corsa) off the bike and clamped to a bench so I could polish all the salt corrosion off it.

As soon as the drill mop brushed the badge, the eagle went flying off and I could not be arsed to stick it back on, hence it has remained on a shelf ever since.

No use to me any more.

Just got the one I am afraid Carl!

Guy

why does everything through Guzzi have to be so astronomically expensive? I just don't get it. if you built one of these bikes from a parts manifest it'd cost you a kazillion dollars. I know its a money maker for them and expensive to make and store spares in the long run, but Jesus they are high buck

I would guess .... diseconomies of scale, inherent resultant inefficiencies, and the fact that many items are stocked overseas, after having been shipped over there, only to have to be shipped back overseas to the customer :huh2:

If MG were a higher volume manufacturer, they could probably afford to stock higher quantities of parts regionally.

Perhaps with the Piaggio purchase, things may get better in this regard.

al