Cop Top Speed

velofish

Lighten up folks. I just thought it was interesting info.

I do most of my riding in rural West Virginia (is there any other kind of WV? beat you to it) where there is zero chance of being hunted down by helicopters, corvettes, cop ducatis or cruise missiles; and considering the huge number of small and twisty roads and the small number of troopers, radio interception is not as fail-safe as it would be in other parts of the world.

FWIW I only ran from the cops once, over 15 years ago, and was succesful-- a two-lane on the Ohio/PA line awash with holiday traffic and the cop was going the other way. Lately, when the cops tag me, I pull over and play nice. After all, I know the rules and the penalties and am responsible for my own behavior. However, if I was close to the state line again in traffic...

Now, unknot your panties. :)

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Martin Barrett: The capabilities of the UK police bike and car pilots is approaching legendary, even here. Have heard many tales of crazy sport bikes run down by Pan-Europeans with officers sitting bolt upright and only one hand on the bars--other hand waving offenders to the side of the road. Hugely impressive.

Have you recieved any of this training?

John

Situational and contextual awareness is the key. There are times when running is recommended - when you observe that the cop is stuck on a bridge or tunnel etc. There are times in the city where a big bunch of throttle can have you well hidden in a residential area etc. Out in the mountains and curves, one might run with excellent results. An inventive Guzzisto might even take off the license plate and later claim that it must have fallen off.

Most of all, I prefer legal technology in the courthouse setting. There is usually a flaw in the prosecution's case.

Stay tuned. One of these days this Summer, I'm going to find out what is the utter limit on the V11 Cobra. I'll guess right now that it is 144 mph.

My guess is 139, depending upon the accuracy of the rev limiter and the diameter of the rear tire. Somewhere I read the V11 Sport is rated for 139 and the Sport 1100i for 143. If they had identical transmission/rear end ratios, I would attribute that to the larger diameter tire the Sport 1100i uses. Let us know how it turns out.

Yes, it could be anywhere between 136 and 144, depending on how my own personal rev limiter works out. I will certainly let everyone know with the photo evidence of the Sigma computer.

Let me once again explain that my own personal achievement with the Cobra is only an achievement for the Marque itself!! Although I seem to brag, it is only an experiment to find the edges of our common love boat.

Have heard many tales of crazy sport bikes run down by Pan-Europeans with officers sitting bolt upright and only one hand on the bars--other hand waving offenders to the side of the road.  Hugely impressive.

44729[/snapback]

You don't see many traffic police on bikes these days. I believe that funding has been reduced and more investment ploughed into speed cameras.

Main pursuit vehicles seem to be fast (for a car) Volvos and Subaru Imprezas, with a few of these unmarked and patrolling areas such as the Yorkshire Dales.

I personally would not even attempt to outrun any of these guys- helicopters are always on back up and your every move and speed is recorded on video so even Enzo's lawyer could not get you off!

If you are signalled to pull over, best to do so, be polite, eat a bit of humble pie and you may get off with just a bollocking. Smart arses definitley get a ticket and if you start a dangerous police chase you will end up in jail for a few years.

The increased traffic on our roads and heavier handed policing is the reason why many riders are now turning to track days to let their hair down and have a bit of fun in a safe environment.

Guy :helmet:

Guest Steve_W

Good thing I clicked on that thumbnail. At first glance it looked like a bunch of bicycle riders trying to pee and not succeeding! I was relieved (ho ho, etc) to see that they had a better reason for scrunching up like that.

Stay tuned. One of these days this Summer, I'm going to find out what is the utter limit on the V11 Cobra. I'll guess right now that it is 144 mph.

Only counts if verified by independant third party. ie Officer of the Law :D

Have you recieved any of this training?

The traditional Advance driving course basically consist of making best progress in a safe manner with rigid observance of all traffic laws with the exception of national speed limits. Causes confusion amongst the public as this car hoons past at a great speed on the open road and then causes a tail back as hits speed limit.

this is all done in unmarked vehicles.

When I did mine 12 years ago we used 3.0 24v Vauxhall Senators and 4X4 Ford Sierras. I found the Senator very akin to sitting in an arm chair and playing a computer game, only visual imput, disconcerting when used to riding a bike where you are bombarded with sensual overload. The Sierra fantastic if you had it set up right blanced and driven through the bends, if not felt really horrid. Also drank like a fish.

I failed my course with in 5 miles of starting the test drive. Two accounts of speeding crept above a 30 and 40 limit. Was a bag of nerves, drove like a granny on acid.

When I came back for a recourse the whole ethos of driver training had changed and for my role didn't need an Advance ticket, was on the first of a Responce course. Getting a marked vehicle through traffic to respond to incidents. Still hooned around the open roads, but included runs with lights and sierens within speed limits. A bit more relevant. One of the favorite parts of the test was through a high street - could fail for going too fast- progress with safety.

As was the first course didn't have the new 1.4's so had to use the 2.0's which were being phased out, so was a bit more fun in the open road.

Guzzirider sums it up fairly well.

I'm now control room staff, and as such control and direct pursuits. A pursuit being when you fail to stop when indicated by a following vehicle.

You might start of being followed by a 1.4 being driven by a Response or a General purpose driver.

A quick on going risk assesment is carried out , covering, offences disclosed or suspected;weather conditions;road conditions;vehicle being followed; known driver;suitablity of pursing vehicle and driver training; risk to public etc

The aim then is to get suitable vehicles involved; traffic cars; a dog and the heliocopter and the others drop out. We consider tactical options - spikes , rolling and static blocks, containment etc.

Once either a traffic car or heliocopter are on your tail its only a matter of time.

There is a huge differance to; "General attention to large capacity motorcycle seen going at excess speed towards (ther other way)" and "Vehicle failing to stop"

The one thing to remember is that we're all fairly law abiding individuals riding our own motorcycles. Its a huge escalation going from excess speed to fail to stop and dangerous driving.

It might be worth it if your're a fleeing felon, wanted for serious crime or with a trunk full of stolen goods or drugs and in a stolen motor

One of the rags had feature where two officers took their patrol cars/bikes on to race track with a selection of bikers. Only the journo was significantly quicker, most were slower. And then the Sgt said our strength is on the road where there other factors come into play.

Now we all know why Martin has all the quiz points - guess there aren't many hot pursuits to control in Herefordshire, UK. :D

Think I'll head out to the garage and see if I can get another mile an hour outta my lawn tractor. I hear there is a bolt on exhaust that will give me another 0.3mph. This thing should do 6.5mph easy. Stay tuned.

Rj

Doode I had a 18hp 6speed riding lawn mower anything over 4th would leave uncut crass on the corners, what a sweet ride that was. I could cut the grass at aprox 15mph, or so I'd guess about full out run speed (not olympic sprinter or anything come on) I wish I still had it I'd leave you in my mulch :race:

Now we all know why Martin has all the quiz points - guess there aren't many hot pursuits to control 

Last nights results:

Case 1- Reported DIC by MOP and followed for a bit, I was able to vector in a unit to intercept, a Dog Vehicle. Failed to stop. Brief chase through that town in to an estate area, a round in circles for a bit unable to shake dog off. As traffic car arrived decamped, nailed by dog handler. Police 1 up.

Case 2- Spotted by local responce unit, very brief chase before vehicle eluded unit included two turn arrounds and drove at unit. Unfortunatly the local traffic car was out of position because of case 1 and helicopter weathered in. Shame as transpired to be stolen vehicle (larger sports hatch that the patrol car) from neighbouring force used in ram raid. Evens - though this would have counted as an away win :D

Case 3- Different (the other) Dog reported older sports coupe at speed through village, unable to reacquire on turn around. I put an attention message out, no further sightings. No one really cared too much other than reporting officer who said he had lit his lights up so other driver would have seen them before disappearing out of view. Yeah the driver probably knew, and deffinatly put his foot down, but didn't really count as a fail to stop. Different league -

Found the bit I mentioned above - BIKE Nov04

Martin: you certainly have a more stimulating job than I do. I have that issue of BIKE. Also, we get one of your motoring shows here: "Fifth Gear". I think they did a bit on the police driving test that you mentioned. They took a camera out with one of the instructors. He gave a running commentary as he flew along, i.e. "Have to watch this bloke on the left, looks a bit dodgy. Coming up on a hairy roundabout here." The guy was really moving but constantly aware of the road and traffic situation. Very impressive.

I think around here, you only have to demonstrate that you are related to the local sheriff and you get the keys to a 5.7 liter Ford Crown Victoria.

John