Spark Plug Wire

tomsp

Getting ready for spring I adjusted my valves last night. Both intake settings were tight so were put back (loosened) to .004. Exhaust setting were right on (.006).

But... in pulling off one of the spark plug wires, the metal and ceramic contact inside the plug receptical broke off. I need to replace that wire. Not explored this at all-- can I just lift the tank to get to the other end.... or does that tank need to come off. Would any parts house have that wire too? (12"?). I also noticed that the wires look high end. Does it matter if OEM is not put back on (and can I even get OEM wires?).

Info on how to change that wire would be appreciated!

Don't even bother trying to buy the stock wires, unless you are looking to spend about $90 :blink:

Go here: http://www.heeters.com/sparkplugs.shtml

About 1/3 of the way down, you'll see "NGK racing wires", all for about $19 each... and they are even RED :bike:

You'll have to terminate the coil end yourself, which is common for most good cables, but that's easy enough to do. You can go down to your local auto parts store for the parts, crimper, or just try to reuse the one on your stock cables and be judicious with a pair of pliers :unsure: You can just reuse you stock boot on the coil end.

I ordered: # 100 cm long cable with solid 90° resistor (#ML-CR6)-----$19.99

.... just so I'd have enough to work with, after all they are the same price as the 50cm long ones by just 5 cents! :P

And they work like a charm :thumbsup:

And yes, you need resistor wires/caps, which these are.

al

Thanks- in the meantime I ordered a splicer anyway. I'll lift the tank and replace the whole wire, trying to save the clip.

Hey, I went to the new Moto Italiano in San Jose on Saturday. It's huge and first class looking. Parts will be open on Tuesday nd grand opening will be after that sometime.

Al-- I did lift the rear end of my tank -- propped it up with a block of wood-- and could just reach the coil end and unplug that. I'll wait for my parts to come now.

I'm in Stockton but girlfriend - er, friend who's a girl?) lives on Park- 5 minutes away!