wrinkle paint/warranty

hang tenni

I am seeking advice as to whether to swap out the bubbling paint on my engine case or take the freebies from MG. Like many, the thought of tearing apart my engine to gain a perfect wrinkle finish sounds risky. Has anyone changed out the case successfully? Any other options to correcting the bubbling finish? In a limited production run, such as the Tenni, would it be better in the long run to leave it as an original flaw? Thanks in advance for the feedback.

Guest Nogbad

If it was me it would depend on how bad the finish was on the original, whether I believed the new case finish was likely to be any better in the long run, and what the freebies are.

I have the same problem in that my tranny has to be done and I don't know if I trust this shop to do a good job. That distrust may be irrational, it stems from the fact they left the main tank bolt out and the FI wasn't set up well when I bought the bike from them.

Anyway, they have a chance to impress me.

Interesting...

Did you just buy a "NOS"(new old stock) Tenni? I didn't think any were still available "new", and at this point, 3 years later, didn't think MGNA was doing any more case-swaps or SWAG deals :huh2:

BTW, I am supposed to get my bike back from its case-swap this week :D

They've had it since early December.

al

I got the free stuff. No sense in taking apart a perfectly good working motor for an aesthestic problem. Mine isn't that bad. In a few years, I may strip it all off and leave it that way. I like it better that way anyway.

Interesting...

Did you just buy a "NOS"(new old stock) Tenni?  I didn't think any were still available "new", and at this point, 3 years later, didn't think MGNA was doing any more case-swaps or SWAG deals  :huh2:

BTW, I am supposed to get my bike back from its case-swap this week  :D

They've had it since early December.

al

44909[/snapback]

yes, I bought a new Tenni from a dealer in KS last year, and it's just now starting to do a little bubbling. I was shocked to find one that had just been sitting on the showroom floor...snatched it up as soon as I found it. So yes, I have a 2 year warranty from date of purchase and my dealer in TX says they can do either claim for me. Just stalling to see how bad it gets before the warranty expires, and looking for advice from all of you.

Let me know how yours goes...wow, not sure I can part with it that long!! :(

Love my Grenade suit. I has kept me warm and dry during my 45 minute communte. I wouldn't of paid for it though. Would have been my loose. I didn't see any reason in dissambling a good running motor. So I just yanked the engine and stipped and painted it my self. Got a great riding suit for the effort. Sweet!. I should be posting some pics this weekend of the final paint job.

I'd say let it go till your warranty is almost up then stick'em for a new case if you can. why not have it new from there once it starts to chip or flake off again (if it does) just have it sandblasted or hand sand the crap off. Will be a lot easier than repainting it every few years I'd imagine unless you really like the black. OR if you can after you get it back maybe a tough clear coat could help.

they should have a 2¢ emoticon!, jaap do we have the technology?

It's a European website, so Jaap has to come up with a 0.015 Euro. :doh:

Sheesh, I can't even make the euro symbol on my keyboard....

Anyway, I agree- wait till almost the last minute, then decide if you want to have the case done. If you do it yourself, I would argue strongly against sandblasting. Todd at Guzzitech has some nasty pictures of the results when the galleyways aren't COMPLETELY cleaned. I can't find them right now, but they're worth a look in a morbid sort of way.

J

Guest rrbasso

I chose the free stuff, beckouse i dont trust anyone to take my motor down to the cases and put it back perfact for what Guzzi is paying the shop for warrenty. As a Mechanic case swap for warenty $ is a $ looser. Take the free stuff. :luigi:

Mine is in a shop getting the cases replaced as I type. Here's my :2c: on the subject: I have more swag than I know what to do with, and my cases look like they've been through a nuclear holocaust. My warranty expires in two days, and the dealer fixing the problem told me it'd take about two weeks (we'll see about that). Anyway, I think it's such a pretty bike that it's shameful to have the looks marred by a faulty engine paint job, and besides, I have a spare bike to ride. I'm nervous about having a perfectly good running bike's engine taken apart, but what the hell - it was apart when they first built it, and how much worse than my mechanic be than the clowns in Mandello?