Turn a Sport into a Le Mans?

Guest Nogbad

Guest Nogbad

Following on from my comment in the last poll, it occurred to me that it shouldn't be beyond the wit of the average amateur spanner wielder to fit a Le Mans fairing and front bits to a V11 Sport......

Has anyone done this? Is it hard? Is it worth it? Is it expensive?

I saw a website that sold all you needed to do this magani or some strange name in my many internet travels. BUT it was outragously expensive so unless you really love your bike beyond words I'd say sell it and find a Lemans. I've considered this but I think I will just buy a touring bike and keep my sport.

:2c:

Well for sure it's going to be (hideously) expensive - even with used parts. A bit of drilling on the fairing is almost certainly going to be required because the Lemans has an extra bit of space in the frame just behind the steering head that the earlier Sports don't have. Since the rear of the fairing is supported by some small brackets that bolt to the cylinder heads, the brackets will not line up directly with the mount holes in the fairing. Outside of that, I don't have a clue. I do know that mounting an early Daytona fairing (or later one for that matter) to a Sport is a lengthy and expensive proposition. It might be a better choice to trade in or up to a LeMans and let someone else battle the elements on the Sport.

Guest Nogbad
Well for sure it's going to be (hideously) expensive - even with used parts. A bit of drilling on the fairing is almost certainly going to be required because the Lemans has an extra bit of space in the frame just behind the steering head that the earlier Sports don't have. Since the rear of the fairing is supported by some small brackets that bolt to the cylinder heads, the brackets will not line up directly with the mount holes in the fairing. Outside of that, I don't have a clue. I do know that mounting an early Daytona fairing (or later one for that matter) to a Sport is a lengthy and expensive proposition. It might be a better choice to trade in or up to a LeMans and let someone else battle the elements on the Sport.

45234[/snapback]

You've convinced me to forget it. The clincher is the difference in frame length which I didn't know before. The sport is ok since I fitted the flyscreen and I shall keep it as it is a damn fine motorcycle. I was hoping to get a new LeMans in a couple of years, but there won't be any by then if the news emerging about the demise of the V11 is true.

Guest Nogbad
I believe the Magni fairing (if you could even get one) is about $1600 u.s.d or so. I'd love to have one for mine too.

45242[/snapback]

The Magni fairing appears to be available. They have a picture of a green bike like mine.

I am e-mailing them, I feel I am going to hit the plastic hard....Oh my GOD I have to have one.

Magni

LeMans_Prototype.gif

I wish...

This is from the original V11 LeMans concept by Marabese Studios. Courtesy of an eBay auction, I have the original hanging over my computer.

The closest I'll probably get is this:

V11project.03.gif

I'm not fond of the rectangular headlight, but changing it over is beyond my skills. And my budget (zero at the moment).

....some of the earlier Sports also do not have the mounting bungs welded to the front of the steering head tube to accomodate the fairing subframe.

That along with the shorter frame of the 1999-2001 Sports would make it something of a challenge to fit a LeMans fairing. And as Carl pointed out, even with used parts... unless a great deal fell into your lap(like someone going from a LeMans -> Naked, like Jaap did) ... the parts would be very expensive.

The Magni is an option, but it's quite a different solution and look than the LeMans fairing. The Magni is much more "sport" oriented.

And in regard to your question about why Carl even bothered with the project above... it's a long story, but his Sport 1100 blew up, then he crashed the V11 Sport in the image above. He's been rebuilding them both for about 2 years now I think, and in the process has been trying various configurations.

al

... which looks very smart BTW.

I love the Magni, but the BWM fairing you worked out has always been a great alternative as well :sun:

If I had a sport, I'd be hard pressed to decide which to consider.

BTW, for those interested in the BMW solution, here is "how to" thread: http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1062

al

go the Le Mans way - it looks great, it works great.

247618488WvnJBV_ph.jpg

Søren

Guest Nogbad
go the Le Mans way - it looks great, it works great.

247618488WvnJBV_ph.jpg

Søren

45362[/snapback]

I know it does, but I can't afford to change the bike yet!