Quat-raceECU-PCIII

belfastguzzi

Has anyone been able to get one of the ECUs, that comes with the MG Ti Kit, on its own?

One of the key attractions of the the MG kit is getting the 'better' ECU. Would this ECU also be better than the standard ECU to use with other aftermarket pipes, including the Quat-D?

The Power Commander is a more realistic option. Can any Quat-D owners say if it is necessary/the best way to go? Is there a map for the V.11 (2002) and a Quat-D?

I suppose that a PC(as in computer) is absolutely necessary for installing maps– I've got Macs?

Regarding choice of Quat-D type undergearbox exhausts. It probably makes sense to get the road-legal, rather than the race version. Any comments from folks who have got either?

:2c: ???

The ECU that comes(came) with the MG Ti kit is exactly the same ECU as comes stock on the V11 Sport/LeMans/Scura/etc.... it simply has a different map for the freer flowing cans in the kit. There is nothing special about it.

Even with the new ECU, Todd Eagan has observed that some additional tuning with something like a PCIII is still beneficial in combination.

And the map on the new ECU is specific to the MG cans, and would not be appropriate for something like the Quat-D, which has much different characteristics since it is basically a 2:1 system. So you'd need to remap it, or get a PCIII anyway.

You can have the same done for your regular ECU if the shop has the equipment/softward, or you can get something like a PCIII.

So bottom line, there really isn't any benefit in trying to track down one of the "race" ECUs that come with the MG Ti kit. It however is a pretty good deal when it comes with the kit, considering the cost of the kit.

BTW, I wasn't aware there was a road-legal versus race(off road only) version of the Quat-D :huh: I've only seen one version for sale, although they did have a Rev1 and now new version that fixed some of the problems with the old one such as welds cracking, etc :huh2: I believe all of them are considered "off road" or "race" only, as are the MG Ti cans/kit. They technically aren't road legal in most places.

I could be wrong about the Quat-D, but I just haven't seen a road legal version that is certified for the Guzzi in places like the USA.

al

that was something that I was thinking about after I get my exhaust set up will I ever need to change the map or tune it somehow? I heard from my dealership that they can remap the ECU for me, they wanted to sell me the new exhaust cans for my left leg and half my right arm but they seemed to have the means. So what I am getting at if I have it remapped then I won't need a PCIII? but if I get a PCIII I can tune it myself? so may be the same cost unless the dealer pads the bill(I know they never do that :rolleyes:) I have no real experience with any of this I feel lost just talking about it. :huh2:

I guess you missed this thread?

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=4152

...all 25 pages of it! :o

:P

To answer your question briefly:

- M15 ECU "remap", some dealers do have the software to adjust the CO via fuel mapping, but do it with a gas analyzer, and no dyno. This works, but isn't ideal. Some dealers may have a more complex setup, and even perhaps more complex software to really delve into the ECU. But we've found that in North America, dealers with the expertise, much less equipment, to effectively map the ECU are very rare. Apparently in Europe though, it is much more common to find shops that have that expertise.

- PCIII, if you have a relatively "stock" aftermarket setup, you can certainly download a pre-made map from somewhere like www.guzzitech.com . But if you've mixed/matched parts that someone else has not, or just want a more "perfect" map for you own bike, you can find a certified dynojet tuning-link center by visiting their website, and for about $200-300 can get a custom map made for your bike, and get a dyno report afterwards.

YMMV, but in North America, I think the most cost effective and easiest to find solution is via the PCIII. There are loads of tuning link centers around the USA.

al

I read some of that ECU thread, I skimmed over it, well I really didn't read it tho I think I have some replies towards the end its sometimes hard to get the right answers because they are so spread out on a thread. ANYway thanks for the condensed version I will just look at getting the Mistrals stucchi and the PCIII with a premade map somewhere that I can just plug and play :thumbsup: I really don't care so much about the higher performance I just want a better looks with more sound if possible its why I'm all about the MG ti's if I can get them. "loud pipes save lives" but I think they just turn heads. Oh and to remove that power dip is a good thing too but just a bonus to me

:mg:

The Power Commander is a more realistic option. Can any Quat-D owners say if it is necessary/the best way to go? Is there a map for the V.11 (2002) and a Quat-D?

45352[/snapback]

There is more than just the Power Commander.

You can also get:

Cliff's programmable and expandable ECU. Advantage the ultimate

TechnoResearch's diagnostic and mapping software(fuel and ignition) Advantage long history with our ECU

TuneBoy diagnostic and mapping software(fuel and ignition) Advantage a bargain and atleast one tuner uses it.

FIM mapping(not sure if it does ignition on a Guzzi) Advantage alot of tuners use it

The Power Commander's big advantage is Tuning Link which is about the cheapest way to a better tuned map.

I have a map you can use from my 2000V11S

It had the first version QuatD for the V11S.

It had the FBF airbox lid removal kit with BMC filter.

Serial PCIII

Valves set to 0.15/0.20mm

TPS apparently set low at 260mv at 1000RPM

Just buy one of the above products and plug in these numbers

Note that I had to enrichen some of the numbers because I was getting pinging from 5000 to 6000 RPMs

Also you should enrichen the 0%throttle to help smooth out throttle transitioning.

You should be able to get a downloadable Toddified improved version of this map from Todd at Guzzitech.com

Or if I put my PC on the net, I could send it to you. But I try to keep viruses,etc off my dedicated Guzzi computer. And I would have to drag it in from the garage...

0 2 5 10 20 40 60 80 100

500 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

1000 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

1500 0 26 23 14 27 11 17 20 20

2000 0 0 17 0 5 -3 -2 -12 2

2500 0 0 15 17 -2 2 9 3 17

3000 0 0 0 20 1 17 15 21 29

3500 0 0 0 11 5 3 15 11 15

4000 0 0 0 17 7 1 14 22 24

4500 0 0 0 18 13 4 9 15 4

5000 0 0 0 18 20 4 -3 -6 -1

5500 0 0 0 0 24 1 -6 -7 -4

6000 0 0 0 0 0 1 -8 -6 -7

7000 0 0 0 0 0 -2 -2 -13 -10

8000 0 0 0 0 0 0 -3 -14 -17

I suppose that a PC(as in computer) is absolutely necessary for installing maps– I've got Macs?

45352[/snapback]

Virtual PC is supposed to work. But I have not tried it...yet!

Regarding choice of Quat-D type undergearbox exhausts. It probably makes sense to get the road-legal, rather than the race version. Any comments from folks who have got either

45352[/snapback]

I would go with a race version if it is available.

I know they have a race version for the Ghezzi-Brian, but I am not sure they have one to fit our bikes.

My Quat-D had less peak power than stock, but below 5000 RPMs it had a nice improvement to the bike's torque. You could really feel the difference putsing along at 40-50MPH in sixth gear.

With my Mistrals I feel I have to downshift to keep the RPMs above 3000 even when cruizin'.

http://www.guzzitech.com/Quat-D_David-L.html has some dyno charts.

The Power Commander's big advantage is Tuning Link which is about the cheapest way to a better tuned map.

The Tuneboy is compatible with Tuning Link also.

Would a system like the Quat-D not lose bottom end torque/ horsepower being little more than 2 headpipes and a silencer box? I would have thought that being a big twin, the length of standard type system would be more efficient, specially if a full flowcollector box is utilised to allow gas expansion through both cans. Iquite like the look of the Quat-D, but no way would I buy a "performance part" that makes my bike slower. Fully admit that I have no proof of any losses in power of these pipes, just previous experience of building and tuning engines, thought I'd add my :2c: Incidentally,if you're in Belfast, I'm only down the road in Drogheda, might run into you at the Ulster GP or somesuch? All the best J

Thanks for detailed replies.

I'm told that the road version has 'a few more baffles in it' and an 'E' stamp so that is legal and would pass the annual MOT test. But Paul says that the race version has nothing in it!

Which one do you think is best for the road Paul? Does your post mean that you think the road version flows better in normal use?

Re having less performance: what I understand from previous posts is not that it has less overall performance than the stock exhaust. It seems that it provides an improvement in low-mid range, but it does not give as good overall performance as other full 'performance' exhausts – and especially at the top end. ??

I do like the look (from photos anyway).

BigDrogheda – where did you get your bike?

heh Belfast, I use VirtualPC with my Powerbook and Powercommander software , it works fine :)

45476[/snapback]

Ah, right, thanks for letting me know.

The Tuneboy is compatible with Tuning Link also.

45470[/snapback]

If the tuner is willing...

I think the Aprillia forum people ran into problems with Tuning Link dyno operators refusing to do it.