Leak #4

callison

Well, Waddya know. If you don't get the gasket in place correctly you spew oil all over the place.

So, in order:

Leak #1. Torn breather hose.

Leak #2. Seal in timing chest cover (used 1996 cover and very used seal).

Leak #3. Incorrect seal on front transmission case during warranty transmission repair. I'm getting entirely too much experience pulling and installing transmissions on these bikes.

Leak #4. During replacement of timing chest cover with the correct part and a brand new seal, I uh, sorta, "missed" a spot. Oh well. Live and learn.

One problem remaining on FrankenSport at this point (that I know of - so far). The rear stop light switch is cross connected with the right turn signals. Weird. Blew up two $100 Kisan SM-2's on this one. This rebuild never ceases to amaze me. Something, is always popping up to show me that I'm not that great of a mechanic and to restore my humility.

bummer :( my oil has had it's share of oil leaks and it was stock from the factory so don't give up !

Heh if your first refusal bails on you with the v65c we'll still take it. I ordered Ingrid's Paul Smart on Thursday but it won't be here till November at the earliest.

I have to go up to San Fran the week after next so we could pick it up then :)

Robbie

robbiekb@hotmail.com

Found the weird electrical problem. And one other.

The Kisan SM2 has a very small connector used for running light mode. Trying to cram the much larger than stock turn signal flasher module into a suitable spot (none for the early sports with the expanded foam rear fairing) pulled back the insulation and frayed on wire until it just barely touched one of the others at the connector that also had the insulation pulled back. I cut all three wires, slid some very small heat shrink down to the connector body and then shrank that, and covered that with yet another larger piece as a strain relief. Then I soldered the three wires back together. At this point, I made an extension harness of three wires and put a bullet connector on the ground lead of the Kisan unit. The extension harness routes the stock turn signal flasher wiring to the rear of the bike and up through a small hole into the compartment. Likewise with the wires the Kisan uses to hook to the turn signals and brake light. That remotes the Kisan to the rear of the tail and removes the propensity for damage when trying to position it up near the stock location.

Then I noticed the front brake light switch wasn't working. The tab had broken off of the microswitch, so I borrowed the switch from my Sport 1100i (still not running) and now - at long last - 15 months after taking it apart after the accident - the V11 Sport is ready for a test run.

Silver and black, the Beast is back - "L'argento ed il nero, La bestia è indietro" (Alta Vista).

2001 V11 Sport TT (black tank and seat cowl, everything else silver - USA special - 1 of 15.

Frame replaced with 1996 Sport 1100i frame modified for 6 speed transmission.

All frame components powder coated silver.

Sport 1100i sideplates (pork chops) - silver (I accidently stripped the trheads out of the swing arm pinion holes on the originals right after powder coating them black). :bbblll:

WP forks and monoshock from a Sport 1100i.

Wheels powder coated white.

Crack prone sidecovers left off, just the black airbox now.

V11SportTTmodII.gif

Carl,

It's an unbelievable expression of your resolve, to stick through with this project to the end. (provided that your actually reaching the end! <_ we listened to the problems associated with rebuilding a bike basically back from scratch. it given me whole lot of respect for commercial motorcycle companies who must take into account every little friggin thing when developing and assembling machine that some serious abuse years couple hundred thousand miles. whine if any part rattles bit much less falls off or fails operate.>

Even with the supposedly 'simple' design of our V-twin, so much has to be accounted for. Now, at the very least, you can be known as the guru of the V11, for certainly you've experienced firsthand every inch of that bike. Remind me never NEVER EVER to get involved with a rebuild project like you've just tackled.

Ah forget it. You won't have to remind me. Congratulations. Nice job. Enjoy that ride.

Dan

Carl,

you can be known as the guru of the V11, for certainly you've experienced firsthand every inch of that bike.

Dan

46103[/snapback]

Guru? No. If I ever get to the point where I know how to work on the innards of the engine and transmission, then - maybe. But certainly not now. Patient and determined fits the bill better.

...good going  :bier:

Glad to hear you finally have something bigger than a "girlie bike" to ride to work and back  :whistle:

:P

46135[/snapback]

Smart aleck. I've been riding the California to work.

Leak #1. Torn breather hose.

Leak #2. Seal in timing chest cover (used 1996 cover and very used seal).

Leak #3. Incorrect seal on front transmission case during warranty transmission repair. I'm getting entirely too much experience pulling and installing transmissions on these bikes.

Leak #4. During replacement of timing chest cover with the correct part and a brand new seal, I uh, sorta, "missed" a spot. Oh well. Live and learn.

46073[/snapback]

Congrats!

You have earned four Jolly Wrenchers!!!!

post-35-1110771925.gifpost-35-1110771925.gifpost-35-1110771925.gif

Regarding Leak #3:

Is there supposed to be a gasket???

46158[/snapback]

No gaskets, but the shaft has a 40x56x8/7 seal ring and when the seal that gets installed is a 40x50x8/7 - oil just flows on by.

Guest Nogbad
No gaskets, but the shaft has a 40x56x8/7 seal ring and when the seal that gets installed is a 40x50x8/7 - oil just flows on by.

46165[/snapback]

How could they do that? The smaller seal must have been so sloppy it would be obvious it wasn't the right one..... :2c::(

How could they do that? The smaller seal must have been so sloppy it would be obvious it wasn't the right one.....  :2c:  :(

46174[/snapback]

Who knows? And I got to take the bike apart a second time too.