New Seat Design

RichMaund

Folks

First off I'd like to thank everyone who has supported my little seat shop this Winter. I'm very serious when I say that the "Spring Rush" started after New Years this year. Thank you for that. Seems like This Board and the Ural folks have become 3/4's of my business all by themselves.

With the help of brainstorming with some Customers, I came up with a new intermediate design seat this winter. This is reshaped for two up and the cowling cannot be used. I know from experience that 3/4's of you want to keep the cowling. So you guys can move to another thread now. B)

Many of the folks who didn't want a two up seat had one reason. They didn't like the way I made it so wide under the passenger's bum area. This is done for a reason. The passenger sits with their legs splayed out. So they need extra support on an all day ride. But some of you wanted an intermediate seat. "Lose the Wings" seemed to be the cry. You wanted one better than stock for the passenger, but not as full blown big and supportive as my other design. This is what we came up with. The sides of the passenger end come straight up from the pan edge and not outwards over an inch as the touring seat design did. You can see it has an ergonomic shape for the passenger. There is a rise in the front center to keep them from sliding forward as much as the stock seat allows. Also, the step has been moved 1.5" forward to better balance the room between the rider's and passenger's ends. You can see the front of the riders portion has been narrowed and rounded up front to prevent leg splay at stop and allow a better tuck when riding. For smaller lighter passengers, this could be a touring seat. For larger passengers, I would still recommend my old wider design though. It has been well tested over the years.

I have worked out patterns to make this design repeatable. I can add Italian flag trim to the sides or even colored welting for no extra charge. It can be made from any of my available marine grade materials.

The price with shipping in the USA and a custom gel sheet installed in the front is still just $305. Add $110 to that if you wish gel padding in the rear as well. (But residents of Va. will have to pay our 5% sales tax on top of that.)

If you wish to leave your stock seat alone and get a new one rebuilt, I can get a new Lemans seat ordered in here for about $200 from Joe Eish in Ohio. (A note here. Guzzi jacked their parts prices last Summer due to the sinking dollar. My price on a new seat ballooned up to over $220! But the last seat I got him came in at the old price. No explanation either. So if you order in a new seat to be rebuilt I can't be sure of it's price until Joe gets it here to me. Guzzi must play havoc with their prices. But he gives me a 20% discount because I'm a member of the MGNOC. I pass that along to you and I don't mark up the seat myself. I earn my living from the rebuild of it. So if you order in a new seat to be rebuilt here, you'll support Joe's old shop as well as mine.)

All my materials have gone up in price quite a bit this year. Most about 10%. So when you look at my web site next month expect to see changes to my pricing. This will be my first price increase in three years to my customers. BUT!!!! I am well practiced on these seats. I have rebuilt over three dozen now. So there are time savings to be had from the patterns I have developed. I don't have to spend as much time tailoring these covers anymore. So as a thank you to the Folks here on this Board, I will hold my price to it's old level for you (As stated above.) for the rest of 2005. Consider that a thank you from me in appreciation for the support I get here! So if you write me about a seat job, just remind me you're on this Forum and you get the old price.

Thanks for your time!

TwoUpLemansNarrowRear2.jpg

That looks really nice Rich. I like the rise at the front to keep the driver pushed back (although, it does scare me a bit). If I didn't already own one of your rebuilds, I'd be giving you a call.

J

• 2 weeks later...

Right now I have the Corbin, and a slightly damaged(ripped vinyl) RM seat that I got from Todd Eagan.

As soon as I get my bike back, I'll ride them back-to-back for a bit and decide which I want to keep long-term... and sell the other.

If I keep the RM seat(which I suspect I will), I'll be sending it back to Rich for a recover :thumbsup:

al

I'm glad you like it Ben! Thanks again for your business!

Please let us know when you do the back to back seat comparo Al! Good, bad or indifferent, I'd like to know what you think of that seat. Constructive feedback is always welcome!

I'll do a comparo right now. I put a majority of my miles on the stock seat it is the most comfortable stock seat I've sat on. BUT it gives too much like there wasn't enough padding and after a short while I started to really feel that also it slides you fwd somewhat out of the real "meat" of the comfort zone The Corbin seat is Stiff, Real stiff hard even and it slides you forward into an aggressive riding style, which is fine if this was an R1 but its not. Rich's seat is the best of both worlds, it doesn't slide you fwd it firmer than the stock seat but it gives more. (if that makes any sence) there is now more to absorb the vibes, bumps, and jumps. I would recommend Rich to anyone looking for a seat that offers worry free longer rides I know I will consult him with the seat of any new bike I acquire if he's still in the business. I've only put 50mi on it so far so a real test is in order but I will be giving it a jaunt. Anyway 7 thumbs up for Richs seat design :thumbsup: I almost should have gone all black but I take riders here and there it will look nice without the cowl too. :grin:

:mg: