Tail light relocation

Guest motomaniac

I know it represents a HUGE jump in expense verus something like simply replacing the lens assembly, but if I were really worked up about changing the looks of the rear light and tail/fender of the V11... at this point I think I'd just start saving pennies until I could affort Paul's tail, and be done with it :sun:

Really, nothing touches his.... :notworthy:

http://guzzi.daytona-it.com/

al

Guest philbo
I know it represents a HUGE jump in expense verus something like simply replacing the lens assembly, but if I were really worked up about changing the looks of the rear light and tail/fender of the V11...  at this point I think I'd just start saving pennies until I could affort Paul's tail, and be done with it  :sun:

Really, nothing touches his....  :notworthy:

http://guzzi.daytona-it.com/

al

46734[/snapback]

What sort of money do you pay for one of these ($US)? I was looking at the FBF solution for $80 but this is way more elegant

Cheers

You'd have to check with TLM(site sponsor) who Paul sells these through.

They are quite expensive, especially with the US/Euro rate so skewed right now. And then, if you don't get the CF version, you have to spend a couple hundred $$ to get it painted.

al

I think if I remember right they are aprox 550 euro or $720 USD. a lil pricey but oh so nice looking. :grin: I am thinking of getting the CF TP and then the Newer Guzzi Green tank with the internal pump and give my baby a whole new slightly updated look. but thats a little bit over the horizon. :bier:

:mg:

I think if I remember right they are aprox 550 euro or $720 USD. a lil pricey but oh so nice looking.  :grin: I am thinking of getting the CF TP and then the Newer Guzzi Green tank with the internal pump and give my baby a whole new slightly updated look. but thats a little bit over the horizon.  :bier:

46795[/snapback]

You'd have to do some careful measuring, or just "take the leap" and buy a salvage 2003+ tank and see if it will fit(you can always resell it if it doesn't).

The deal is that in 2002, MG lengthened the frame of V11 Sport models near the headtube by a noticeable margin. If you look at the nose of any 2001 and earlier bike's tank, and compare it to a 2002 bike, you can clearly see the wider gap between the tip of the tank, and the headtube.

In 2003, with the new tank, which includes the in-tank pump/filter, MG apparently decided to "close that gap" and use that opportunity to slightly increase the size of the tank to retain the approximate same capacity as the old 00-01 tanks.

Now, if you compare a 2002 tank(which is the same as an 00-01 tank) and frame relationship with a 2003 by looking at the gap from the nose to the headtube, it becomes obvious that the 2003+ tank is quite a bit longer.

What does this mean? It is likely that a 2003+ tank will be too long to fit on an 00-01 framed bike, as the nose will hit the triples and/or head-tube, or just simply not go on at all.

Now, I have not confirmed this, but it is something to look closely for if considering a 2003 tank retrofit on a 00-01 bike.

Again, it is an easy test though... one of two options:

1) Find someone with an 03+ bike and briefly swap tanks

2) Find a used 03+ tank and just try it out. Again, you shouldn't be out the money, as someone will always buy it from you if it doesn't work.

Just for general info for 00-01 owners interested in this modification, I'd love to see someone post a definitive result of this testing so we could document it.

Mike Stewart could easily do so, as he has a "short framed" Sport, and 03 Rosso Corsa.

My experience retrofitting a 2003 tank to a 2002 bike is detailed here:

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?...459&hl=retrofit

al

IS there any possible chance I have a newer tank but not the in fuel pump. Well anyway My forks hit the side of the tank BEFORE they hit the turn stoppers that are welded to the triple clamps. I asked the dealer about what I could do they said, "you could reweld those tabs and make them wider to stop it from hitting the tank or just buy some tank protecting film", not word for word but what I heard. If you look at the tip of the tank that black smudge isn't dirt, its paint being rubbed away slowly I don't want to damage the tank either and really I don't turn that hard that often. Is this a known problem for the forks to hit the tank? Anyone know where I can get some touchup paint? :huh2: after that I'm going to get that protective film.

Some V11 owners have experienced the forks hitting the tank. The blame has mostly been after the bike had been dropped. I was moving my bike in the garage yesterday and I noticed that the left fork leg now makes contact with the left side of the tank at full lock. The bike has never been down and it did not do this last year. I can only assume it is from the looseness in the tank mounting points as the tank does seem a tad looser than when it was new. I guess 30,000 miles will do that.

Mike

IS there any possible chance I have a newer tank but not the in fuel pump. Well anyway My forks hit the side of the tank BEFORE they hit the turn stoppers that are welded to the triple clamps. I asked the dealer about what I could do they said, "you could reweld those tabs and make them wider to stop it from hitting the tank or just buy some tank protecting film", not word for word but what I heard. If you look at the tip of the tank that black smudge isn't dirt, its paint being rubbed away slowly I don't want to damage the tank either and really I don't turn that hard that often. Is this a known problem for the forks to hit the tank? Anyone know where I can get some touchup paint?  :huh2: after that I'm going to get that protective film.

46810[/snapback]

... no, with an 01 bike, there is no way you have the 2003+ style tank as delivered OEM, as I don't think MG was even thinking of that tank design at that point ;)

The earlier and later tanks are much different than just length. The old tanks have the cutout/depression for the "tank pad" which the new bikes do not. Other dimensions are slightly different, and the underside is completely redesigned.

If you look at the photos in the thread I link to above, you will see that these are vastly different tanks, even though they may not appear so at first blush.

Again, I would be very surprised if a 2003+ tank would fit on the frame of a 00-01 "short framed" Sport. But I would love to see someone test this theory, and finally document it so that 00-01 owners would know ahead of time if it is even worth pursuing.

As far as I can tell so far, the only year worth doing is 2002, as after that, the bikes all came with the new tank design, and prior, they probably will not fit. So that's a pretty small number of owners.

But I am VERY glad I retrofitted mine, peace of mind, and simplicity of design.

al