Ultraseal tyre sealant or similar

Guest aironepony

Guest aironepony

I would be interested to know of the experiences of those that have used these Tyre (tire) sealant additives. Do they provide REAL benefits? Do they have any detrimental effect on tyres or wheels?

All sorts of things are claimed by the various manufacturers. I would be nice to hear from those with practical experiences of these products. :thumbsup:

Guest Nogbad

There are a few Ultraseal threads on here. The SOC guys seem to like it.

Ultraseal threads

Myself, I think it's probably snake oil. I carry a CO2 inflater and plug kit under the seat.

Modern tubeless tyres tend to deflate in a controlled manner anyway.

I used it when I toured Ireland last year because I did not fancy the idea of getting a puncture miles from anywhere.

You can feel a slight difference in handling, especially in the front wheel but you get used to it.

Guy :helmet:

Guest Nogbad
I used it when I toured Ireland last year because I did not fancy the idea of getting a puncture miles from anywhere.

You can feel a slight difference in handling, especially in the front wheel but you get used to it.

Guy  :helmet:

47029[/snapback]

The burning question is however.... Did you actually GET a puncture or not???

Guest Nogbad
Nope- just a failed relay!!

Had a spare.

47039[/snapback]

See, if you look at the Ultraseal threads on other boards, you realise that a fair number of users have problems with it not sealing, blocking their valves etc. Given that only a small proportion of users will even get a puncture during the life of their tyres, the number of complaints suggests to me that the stuff ain't that good.

Like I said, snake oil.