Wind/weather protection?

Guest TheFaz

Guest TheFaz

Greetings all:

As a new comer to this site, please indulge my apparent ignorance of most things LeMans. I'm looking at them with increasing lust and would like to think that I will own one sometime in the next 6 months. Here's my dilema:

I have been a cruiser rider most of my riding life, with one short detour to a Concours for about 4 months. I loved the Connie but it just wasn't the right time for me to own one. I currently ride a Bassa with a Swanee fairing. For those of you who care, the Swanee is a great, albeit rare and hard to come by fork/bar mounted batwing style fairing. It provides excellent coverage from wind and rain, and creates a perfect (for me) space of barely moving air in my comfort zone. I figure as long as I can whistle at 80mph, (I wear a 3/4 open face) it's doing its job, LOL!

Wife and I (she rides her own) do a considerable bit of long distance rides, with multiple overnighters throughout the year. 600 mile days are not unusual.

What I'd like to know from those of you "in the know" is, what should be my expectations of wind/weather protection on a V-11 LeMans? I sat on one yesterday, I like the seating position, but the fairing coming only mid chest high got me wondering what kind of advantage it gives in high speed touring. If any of you can compare it to a Concours, that would be a perfect answer, as the Connie provided excellent coverage for me. Are there after market windshields that can increase effectiveness if so needed?

Thanks in advance.

Joe

Hello Joe and welcome to the site!

Ok, having both a Jackal and the Lemans, I will give you my view.

To me the Lemans is the perfect sport touring machine. But I am a sport bike type of guy.

The differences between the two bikes are 180 degrees apart. The foot pegs are higher on the Lemans compared with the Bassa. This may cause a problem with your legs becoming more cramped at longer mileage. Also the bars are quite lower and you will have more pressure on your wrist. The lower bar position matches the shape of the fairing. This means that with lower bars you can have a lower windshield. Also the faster you go, the more effective the windshield is.

What you really need to do is go out and road test one to see if it will work for you. Also there are a few mods that can make the bike even more comfortable.

Higher bars and windshield are avalible from aftermarket companies if you need them. I have also seen the foot pegs relocated to a slightly lower position. I myself think the stock stuff works great but every body is different.

I have done 600 mile days with no problems.

Where in the Bay Area do you live?

Hope this helps,

Mike

Greetings all:

As a new comer to this site, please indulge my apparent ignorance of most things LeMans. I'm looking at them with increasing lust and would like to think that I will own one sometime in the next 6 months. Here's my dilema:

I have been a cruiser rider most of my riding life, with one short detour to a Concours for about 4 months. I loved the Connie but it just wasn't the right time for me to own one. I currently ride a Bassa with a Swanee fairing. For those of you who care, the Swanee is a great, albeit rare and hard to come by fork/bar mounted batwing style fairing. It provides excellent coverage from wind and rain, and creates a perfect (for me) space of barely moving air in my comfort zone. I figure as long as I can whistle at 80mph, (I wear a 3/4 open face) it's doing its job, LOL!

Wife and I (she rides her own) do a considerable bit of long distance rides, with multiple overnighters throughout the year. 600 mile days are not unusual.

What I'd like to know from those of you "in the know" is, what should be my expectations of wind/weather protection on a V-11 LeMans? I sat on one yesterday, I like the seating position, but the fairing coming only mid chest high got me wondering what kind of advantage it gives in high speed touring. If any of you can compare it to a Concours, that would be a perfect answer, as the Connie provided excellent coverage for me.  Are there after market windshields that can increase effectiveness if so needed?

Thanks in advance.

Joe

47221[/snapback]

Guest TheFaz

"Hello Joe and welcome to the site!

Ok, having both a Jackal and the Lemans, I will give you my view.

to me the Lemans is the perfect sport touring machine. But I am a sport bike type of guy.

The differences between the two bikes are 180 degrees apart. The foot pegs are higher on the Lemans compared with the Bassa. This may cause a problem with your legs becoming more cramped at longer mileage. Also the bars are quite lower and you will have more pressure on your wrist. The lower bar position matches the shape of the fairing. This means that with lower bars you can have a lower windshield. Also the faster you go, the more effective the windshield is.

What you really need to do is go out and road test one to see if it will work for you. Also there are a few mods that can make the bike even more comfortable.

Higher bars and windshield are avalible from aftermarket companies if you need them. I have also seen the foot pegs relocated to a slightly lower position. I myself think the stock stuff works great but every body is different.

I have done 600 mile days with no problems.

Where in the Bay Area do you live?

Hope this helps,

Mike"

Thanks, Mike. I'm not too concerned about the pegs, but it's nice to know they can be lowered. The bars I would likely put risers on, just by going from my experience on a Concours. Having had back problems in the past, actually the forward leaning position is more comfortable to me in the long haul, than the standard/cruiser position which my Bassa puts me in. I'm hoping to get an extended ride on a L/M this weekend, or soon thereafter.

I'm just north of SF in San Rafael, about 15 miles north of the GG Bridge. What about you?

Im just curious-what kind of bike is a "Concours". Over here it means a bike which is never ridden,kept in a sealed polythene bag and if so much as a speck of dust falls upon it,it is obliterated by an arsenal of cleaning and polishing chemicals that would stand comparison with Saddams best storehouse. Obviously not what you had, but it is a moniker I've never heard before.

Guest TheFaz
Im just curious-what kind of bike is a "Concours". Over here it means a bike which is never ridden,kept in a sealed polythene bag and if so much as a speck of dust falls upon it,it is obliterated by an arsenal of cleaning and polishing chemicals that would stand comparison with Saddams best storehouse. Obviously not what you had, but it is a moniker I've never heard before.

47246[/snapback]

It's this:

http://www.kawasaki.com/product_detail.asp...&tag=motorcycle

Go to the "select model" drop down and look at the last one.

Maybe it's called something else over there? It's been in production for over 20 years... :blush:

Gotcha, thanks Faz. Over here that model was snappily called the "GTR 1000". Believe it was dropped from the range some years back?.

47252[/snapback]

...could be, but the "Connie" is always in the Top 10 Sport Touring bikes over in the USA, and has quite a following :D

al

I dont think there was anything actually wrong with the bike,but more likely the same reason bikes like that and Yamaha's FJ range are no longer available-new models coming in, have to sell them.

I'm sorry but ditch the connie and get a lemans, I'm being editorial but I think those bikes are pug ugly, Maybe someone would say the same about my Goose but come on. those connies and FJ's are such old man bikes. don't we all want to be a little youthful? :bier:

:whistle:

...could be, but the "Connie" is always in the Top 10 Sport Touring bikes over in the USA, and has quite a following  :D

al

47253[/snapback]

I've never owned one but they DO have a large following. The "Connie", as it is affectionately called by its owners, has the old ZX10 motor, detuned, but still has a pretty good punch. You can buy a used one, several years old, with almost no miles on it for $5000 and they're supposed to be rock-solid reliable, but buzzy.

But I have to agree: They are butt-ugly and look real 80s.

Tim

I'm sorry but ditch the connie and get a lemans, I'm being editorial but I think those bikes are pug ugly, Maybe someone would say the same about my Goose but come on. those connies and FJ's are such old man bikes. don't we all want to be a little youthful?  :bier:

:whistle:

47256[/snapback]

I still love the old FJ's.... and miss mine sometimes :wub:

They also still have a HUGE following, and several members here are past and current owers :bike:

Forum: Former FJ Owners Thread

;)

Guest motowho

Hey Faz,

I have an EV with the Swanee and an '02 LeMans. I love them both. With regards to weather protection on the LeMans. The LeMans is completly stock and as you already suspect the windsreen makes the wind hit you right in the chest. And when raining my First Gear suit that keeps me bone dry on the EV just can't keep up. A big part of the problem is that the wind/water is directed right at my sleeves,underarm vents and neck area and after some time in the rain the water will get forced in. Yes I wear gauntlets and yes i fasten the jacket all the way up so the collar is litteraly tucked in to my helmet, but the fairing creates a water injection system. I would say that the LeMans is not really a bad weather machine. i did about 5 weekend trips on the LeMans last season totaling about 3000 miles and it rained on all but one. The other thing about the Lemans compared to the Tonti frames is that due to its being more of a performance bike (tires playing a big roll i suspect) it is a little more sensitive to control inputs and I found that i learned alot about "backing it in" to a turn without really pushing it. Overall I really like the Lemans better and if I never carried a passenger I would probably sell the EV BUT It is not at the same level as the EV (with Swanee) for touring. I think with the changes to the windscreen it would be more tolerable. And don't get me wrong I still play in the rain with the LeMans just don't expect it to be the same as your Jackal/Swanee combo

Peace

Steve G

:2c:

Guest TheFaz
Hey Faz,

I have an EV with the Swanee and an '02 LeMans. I love them both. With regards to weather protection on the LeMans. The LeMans is completly stock  and as you already suspect the windsreen makes the wind hit you right in the chest. And when raining my First Gear suit that keeps me bone dry on the EV just can't keep up. A big part of the problem is that the wind/water is directed right at my sleeves,underarm vents and neck area and after some time in the rain the water will get forced in. Yes I wear gauntlets and yes i fasten the jacket all the way up so the collar is litteraly tucked in to my helmet, but the fairing creates a water injection system. I would say that the LeMans is not really a bad weather machine. i did about 5 weekend trips on the LeMans last season totaling about 3000 miles and it rained on all but one. The other thing about the Lemans compared to the Tonti frames is that due to its being more of a performance bike (tires playing a big roll i suspect) it is a little more sensitive to control inputs and I found that i learned alot about "backing it in" to a turn without really pushing it. Overall I really like the Lemans better and if I never carried a passenger I would probably sell the EV BUT It is not at the same level as the EV (with  Swanee) for touring. I think with the changes to the windscreen it would be more tolerable. And don't get me wrong I still play in the rain with the LeMans just don't expect it to be the same as your Jackal/Swanee combo

Peace

Steve G

47355[/snapback]

Thanks, Steve. That is exactly the info I was looking for. So, my idea of trading the Bassa for a LeMans probably wouldn't suit me, as I suspected, but didn't want to admit to myself. :( I guess I'll just have to have both! Now to convince my wife that she'll have to leave HER bike outside, :whistle:

Guest Brian Robson
I would say that the LeMans is not really a bad weather machine. i did about 5 weekend trips on the LeMans last season totaling about 3000 miles and it rained on all but one.

Peace

Steve G

47355[/snapback]

As a quick reply...Bollocks.

As the other Steve G can attest, I ride in a little rain at times, and if I wanted to stay totally dry and brain dead, I'd either buy a car or a Goldwing. :2c: