general bad paint on a V11 99

peterguzzi

ebay_1568__320_x_240_.jpg.jpgHello People,

Knew that italian paint could be different that ,normal,, paint and the V11 of my girlfriend will be powdercoated next winter due to she hates red...

But the paint on this bike is unbelievable...frame,subrame, rearbridge, cardanhousing, wheels...it just comes off due to corrosion and rust...

I've seen bad wheels but complete plates of paint coming off...the cardan housing is bare alu now..

Could it have anything to do with leavind the bike outside or roadsalt? The bike has only 6000 miles on its tacho...

Next winter it will look a bit different than stock B)

My guess is that it was parked in a garage which was storing (in a plastic porous container) some form of common acid -- like the kind used to clean aluminum .

If stored incorrectly, they can attack paint finishes with only their vapors. I've seen it.

Just a thought...

Guest Nogbad

The paint is bad, but not that bad. On mine the ally painted parts, mainly the engine, is peeling. The red frame and the other bits are ok.

I have said this before, I have seen BMW boxers the same age and mileage with paint that's just as bad. :2c:

I have a '99/2000 V11 Limone and can say that the bike is overall just perfect! No gear problems, no engine problems, no guiding problems and perfect paint on every part. The only issue are the fugative toungs to where the voltage regulator and the horns are mounted. They really have a tendency to fall off.

Hubert

Guest PAULSMART

Can anyone recommend a good match for the silver used on engine / final drive - I would like to touch up for now and strip and repaint later, maybe next year.

A recommendation for the red frame paint also.

Thanks in advance to all replys - especially those from UK as I need to be able to source the paints.

Paul

Guest Nogbad

bike paint

Can anyone recommend a good match for the silver used on engine / final drive - I would like to touch up for now and strip and repaint later, maybe next year.

A recommendation for the red frame paint also.

Thanks in advance to all replys - especially those from UK as I need to be able to source the paints.

Paul

47479[/snapback]

I have not heared good news about Hamerite over the long run.

I wouldn;t suggest it. This stuff is for painting the yard's metal fence.

For automotive ,use only what is best(after the correct preperation or else can turn also worthless).Two of them for me are PPG (used also in aerospace) and the SIKKENS automotive paints.