Heated Grips

velofish

Put the Bar Snake in the Verlichhi adustable clip-ons today. Hope to finally mount them on the bike tomorrow. I am going to install the dual-star heated grip elements also. A Hi/Low/Off switch came with the bike but no bracket came with it. Even with my very limited skills I can fabricate one (might even use carbon fiber for the bling affect), but I am curious about where other people have mounted it.

Actually, the switch looks pretty cheesy. Any alternative switches out there? Doodad switch from Aerostich maybe? All help appreciated.

John

I bought a on-off-on (3 position switch) rocker switch instead of the goober toggle switches the grip kits seem to all come with. Most some automotive speed shops have them. i got mine at a CB radio place. I would think a trailer or camper place would have them too. I then bent a piece of sheet metal to mount the switch on the RH side of the steering stem, just below the top triple clamp. Using one of the two boltsthat is right there Take a look here: http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=3686&hl= for some pics.

Put the Bar Snake in the Verlichhi adustable clip-ons today.  Hope to finally mount them on the bike tomorrow.  I am going to install the dual-star heated grip elements also. A Hi/Low/Off switch came with the bike but no bracket came with it.  Even with my very limited skills I can fabricate one (might even use carbon fiber for the bling affect), but I am curious about where other people have mounted it.

Actually, the switch looks pretty cheesy. Any alternative switches out there?  Doodad switch from Aerostich maybe?  All help appreciated.

John

47549[/snapback]

I used some really small plastic boxes I bought at Radio Shack and used velcro to attach the boxes to the frame just aft of the steering head. The dropping resistor for the low heat position is buried in the wiring behind the headlight. The box itself has a SPDT subminiature switch and an LED indicator. I have a matching one on the other side for my vest but I don't bother with the low heat position on that one.

Mine came with an On/Off switch that was enclosed in a small plastic box with slots for mounting with wire ties (what did we ever do without them?). I wired tied it to the foward left tank bag strap, where I can lean a little forward to see if the "on" led is shining, but when seated normally it doesn't draw my eye. k