White power shock et al

Guest Brian Robson

Guest Brian Robson

Here are some pictures of a busy Saturday.

WP shock off ebay replaced the Sachs and the reservoir fits nicely under the right passenger peg. The shock is about 2 cm longer, but sets up with 20mm of sag

Took off the forks and changed the oil and put on a new tyre.

New outer bearing on the bevel box.

All the wheel bearings though were smooth and only needed regreasing.

Adjusted the headstock bearings.

Now tomorrow we'll see if I've put it together properly!

This bike is very logical and I think relatively easy to work on.

post-368-1112491191_thumb.jpg

post-368-1112491207_thumb.jpg

post-368-1112491218_thumb.jpg

post-368-1112491246_thumb.jpg

post-368-1112491266_thumb.jpg

Looks like you have been busy! I finally got the last parts I need to get the Centauro together (it looks like your bike - all tore apart). The MGS will be out at Mission April 18. Ahh, what a year it will be!

Good luck, mate!

P.S. Ordered a bottle of that grappa! Momma loves it!

The WP is two cm longer, eh? That explains why my bike feels weird and the centerstand kit didn't lift the bike. I still have the Sachs though, so I can always retrograde if the handling is too weird. Actually, for the little I've ridden the bike since putting it back together with the WP stuff front and back, the rear feels stiff while the front feels wonderfully compliant. Now, if I could only resolve the ECU fuse blowing problem, I could concentrate on some of these other issues.

The WP is two cm longer, eh? That explains why my bike feels weird and the centerstand kit didn't lift the bike. I still have the Sachs though, so I can always retrograde if the handling is too weird. Actually, for the little I've ridden the bike since putting it back together with the WP stuff front and back, the rear feels stiff while the front feels wonderfully compliant. Now, if I could only resolve the ECU fuse blowing problem, I could concentrate on some of these other issues.

47663[/snapback]

Carl,

2mm longer at the rear shock equals to about 4mm higher in the rear (under 1/4 inch). Not too much difference. I don't think you would notice it.

Mike

Guest Brian Robson

I have been a defender of the Sachs shock, but at 82,000 Km it is very soft with little adjustment left (i.e. you adjust a couple of clicks, then a few days later its back again). I plan to have the Sachs shock reoiled and then reuse it, if or when the WP shock goes the same way (and the WP shock only cost $74.00!!).

Carl,

2mm longer at the rear shock equals to about 4mm higher in the rear (under 1/4 inch).  Not too much difference.  I don't think you would notice it.

Mike

47667[/snapback]

2mm is 1/10 of 2 cm if Brian measured the difference correctly. The rear of the bike sits quite high and it feels quite high when ridden - maybe as much as the 1.6 inches that might be the calculated amount. I don't know about sag between the two types of shocks (I actually know next to nothing about this stuff). If somebody would be so good as to stick their bike on a stand so the rear wheel is fully extended and measure the center of the axle to the center of the rear bolt on the rear footpeg hanger, I'll measure mine and see just what the difference works out to.

Guest Brian Robson

The measurement on mine is 46 cm. It's significantly higher than before as the rear wheel would spin freely when the bike was on the MG stand. Not now.

2mm is 1/10 of 2 cm if Brian measured the difference correctly. The rear of the bike sits quite high and it feels quite high when ridden - maybe as much as the 1.6 inches that might be the calculated amount. I don't know about sag between the two types of shocks (I actually know next to nothing about this stuff). If somebody would be so good as to stick their bike on a stand so the rear wheel is fully extended and measure the center of the axle to the center of the rear bolt on the rear footpeg hanger, I'll measure mine and see just what the difference works out to.

47670[/snapback]

Carl,

My mistake, I looked at Brains picture and the shock lengths looked really close. So issumed the the difference in length was 2mm. If it is 20mm difference then the rear of your bike will be quite high. I would measure my bike but I have a Penske which could be another length altogether.

Mike

Carl,

2mm longer at the rear shock equals to about 4mm higher in the rear (under 1/4 inch).  Not too much difference.  I don't think you would notice it.

Mike

And what about the "assisting return rod" that is also connected to the frame (that long rod above the drive shaft).Doesn't it need to be changed in length?? Since the height changes? :huh2:

here picture from sport 1100I/centauro/daytona RS workshop manual. The Ohlins aftermarket MG 127 shock for the v11 is 286 long, stroke 70mm, spring preload 15mm. The Wp unit has a 90Nm spring, if that is stiffer than the one on the v11 sachs, this will make a difference too.

WP_sport1100I.JPG

Drat. I'm going to have take a welding class when I get settled in at the new house. I need to be able to make modifications to the frame for things like this. It looks as though the rear shock spine mount point has enough room to allow for a further forward mount hole which would cure the length problem. Wouldn't you know it though - the V11 Shop manual shows both WP and Sachs rear shocks - with no measurements or specifications for either. Wonderful. Typical MG oversight.