fork oil

fernando

2 days ago had the bike at the dealer to check the electrical system and while there i asked him to do the 12,000 miles service.

did all except

gas filter --on back order,will do as soon as it comes in

fork oil............he did not do......tells me that usually when he drains this the fluid comes out pretty clean.............

and that to do it is labor intensive.........?

i am concerned here .............

any of you have any experience here ???

Guest Brian Robson

I change the fork oil once a year. I use Bel Ray. The initial Guzzi oil was very discoloured and "thin". However after changing the Bel Ray yesterday, it came out as clean as it went in.

I used 7 wt this time....400 mls in each leg

2 days ago had the bike at the dealer to check the electrical system and while there i asked him to do the 12,000 miles service.

did all except

gas filter --on back order,will do as soon as it comes in

fork oil............he did not do......tells me that usually when he drains this the fluid comes out pretty clean.............

and that to do it is labor intensive.........?

i am concerned here .............

any of you have any experience here ???

47759[/snapback]

I just got through paying nearly $500 to have some WP forks rebuilt that I hadn't had the oil changed in in nearly 28,000 miles. Fork tubes scuffed from contaminated oil and seals ruined. Caveat Emptor.

good question richard...

anyone has the answer ?

is it a question of removing something and flushing or sucking it out ?

after i posted i went into the technical section and the answer is there.......too complicated for me

You have to pull the fork legs out of the triple clamps. Open the tops, turn the thing upside down, and drain the oil. You really should disassemble the springs inside there and pump out the remaining oil from inside the mechanism, too. Then ther will be room for the 400cc of oil called for.

You aren't talking about Ohlins are you? They seem really tough to do without special tools. I'm planning to take the Rosso to the dealer at about 12,000 miles or so and have him do the first change, as per a service manager's recommendation.

I hope I'm not screwing up anything. :(:(