1942 Indian 841

st. augustine

did you guys see the latest article in MotoEuro on the MG Nevada? The article is titled " Defined Heritage" then goes on to talk about the V-Twin being a staple for Moto Guzzi for nearly 40 years. Then they show a picture and talk about a 1942 Indian 841, which was commissioned by the American Government to compete against the German Army's BMW sidecars. See for yourself... The author can only speculate on the influence the Indian had on the Guzzi designers. I suppose the rest of the artlicle does the Nevada justice (I wouldn't know, never rode one), but the rest of the magazine has articles on the Triumph Daytona 650, the Texas Ceeger, Mondial 125 Bialbero, 1953 Norton side-valve single, KTM 990 Superduke, RGS Laverda, AJS 31 CSR, Daytona Orange BMW R90, Ducati 999R, etc. Great magazine.

I am a little surprised that 76 people looked at this thread (measly 1 thread thread) and didn't comment on the Indian motor. I guess it was because of the disappointment that the model was fully clothed. Oh well, some day I may get up the nerve of showing models like I have seen on V11LeMans (except for that one I saw long ago from that big state in the south (not naming any places since it might give away more than is necessary)). I'll just have to upload under an alias while the misses isn't looking! :whistle:

I read an article on the Indian a while back, and found it interesting. It was a design study for the US army in WWII, but they ended up not using it widely. They are collectors items now, but don't seem to be very desireable.... I guess because they weren't widely used.

al

I read an article on the Indian a while back, and found it interesting.  It was a design study for the US army in WWII, but they ended up not using it widely.  They are collectors items now, but don't seem to be very desireable.... I guess because they weren't widely used.

al

48525[/snapback]

Basically, the Army captured a couple BMW/Zundapp cycles early in the war [or were privy to captured examples via the Brits already being in N. Africa when we entered the war] and commissioned H-D & Indian to make something similar. The specifications were "cylinders out in the airstream for cooling, shaft drive for sand resistance, oil-bath air cleaners for dust resistance, etc." [1] What resulted were approx. 100? or 200? examples of each, but by that time the Army was mopping up in N. Africa and the Jeep was a better solution anyway, there were tons of WLA's on-hand for what motorcycles were needed in the European theatre, and so the models were declined? mothballed? and later sold after the war. [2]

1: From an article I remember reading once. Harley basically had access to an actual example of the BMW, since apparently their model [the XA] is a close fit [inch-sized] version of the metric Beemer.

2: Same article stated that post-war, the Harley XAs and Indian 841s were sold for pennies on the dollar. Sure wish I'd been around to pick up one of the 841s [reportedly, the better performing of the two experimental models] for the $200 or $300 they reportedly were sold for... Hmm, maybe one of each? That'd be cool!

Peabody, ready the WayBack machine!

;)