Tekno/ Guzzi bags for sale

Lex

All,

I was either inspired or have gone completely crazy and made a set of Givi mounts for my Sport. :wacko:

So now I have a set of the semi-soft Tekno bags and mounts I don't need. Anybody interested before I offer them to a wider audience?

They are in pretty good shape, just a bit of fading on the top but otherwise like new. They were $250 new, what are they worth at this point?

Lex

All,

I was either inspired or have gone completely crazy and made a set of Givi mounts for my Sport.  :wacko:

So now I have a set of the semi-soft Tekno bags and mounts I don't need. Anybody interested before I offer them to a wider audience?

They are in pretty good shape, just a bit of fading on the top but otherwise like new. They were $250 new, what are they worth at this point?

Lex

47945[/snapback]

PM me a price you think is fair and I'll probably buy them.

All,

I got a question from "Mikeee" and tried to reply but got a bounce.

I was thinking about $150 so I'll take Tomsp as an expert ont he subject. :grin: If anybody wants them let me know.

I also attached a picture of the bags and mounts.

Lex

As for the Givi mounts, I need to explain my "design brief" before I post the picture.

1. I ride the Guzzi solo and I didn't want the bags hanging off the back of the bike screwing up the handling.

2. In a related area, I wanted the bag as close to the center of the bike as possible.

3. I am a fair designer but not the best fabricator in town so I needed to hold the principal of KISS (Keep It Simple, Stupid) in the front of my thoughts while I was laying things out. No point in designing something I couldn't build.

3. My friend and all around nice guy TaminatorV loaned me his bags and the mounts off his VFR in exchange for making a second set for him so the design had to be repeatable.

That said, here is first left side mount:

Mount_Left_04_09_05.JPG

And here is the bike with one of TaminatorV's bags mounted.

PS, these small, simple bags looks great on the V11. I bought the "Keyless" bags (which still need a key, BTW) and they are huge. More than you need for hotel-ing but really nice for camping.

If anybody has any questions I'd be happy to answer them but we might want to take this offline.

Lex

Looks good- I think that if you are going to ride mostly solo, then it's a great setup. I like the fact that the center of mass is ahead of rear axle. Good thinking there. As a generality, it's a bad idea to put heavy stuff behind the bike or aft of the axle. On my Eldorado- which I merciliously load up for camping- the handling gets squirrelly if I put too much in the bags.

Lex,

When you remove the bags, can you carry a passenger?

Ben- the '01s have red frames at least in some cases. Like on mine.

Jason

Ben- the '01s have red frames at least in some cases.  Like on mine.

Jason

48276[/snapback]

Pretty sure all of the 01's were red grames. Black would be an exception, but the frames went to black along with the black engine paint on the 02's. I like the red frame two, but a black engine in a red frame seems to me to be a bad combination. Too much like some of the old steam locomotive paint schemes.

Pretty sure all of the 01's were red grames. Black would be an exception, but the frames went to black along with the black engine paint on the 02's. I like the red frame two, but a black engine in a red frame seems to me to be a bad combination. Too much like some of the old steam locomotive paint schemes.

48279[/snapback]

you mean my bike doesn't run on steam power? god good I've been doing something all wrong. -_-

Looks good- I think that if you are going to ride mostly solo, then it's a great setup.  I like the fact that the center of mass is ahead of rear axle.  Good thinking there.  As a generality, it's  a bad idea to put heavy stuff behind the bike or aft of the axle.  On my Eldorado- which I merciliously load up for camping- the handling gets squirrelly if I put too much in the bags.

Lex,

When you remove the bags, can you carry a passenger?

Ben- the '01s have red frames at least in some cases.  Like on mine.

Jason

48276[/snapback]

Jason,

Thanks for the kind words. I've been riding bikes with hard bags since the early eighties, I have experienced first hand what happens when too much weight is placed too far to the rear of a bike and it scared the sh*t out of me. :o

I got used to bad handling in the Seventies (Kawasaki triples did amazing things totally stock and unloaded ) but having a fine handling bike turn into a beast after it was loaded incorrectly really opens your eyes. Even with a light load the very rearward position of most bags affects handling, just not as much. The right place to put the weight is just forward of your knees, that areas is full of cylinder head of the Guzzis. :D

The mounts lock the passenger pegs in the "up" position. Rather than come up with a complex solution I just made the mounts easy to remove. Three bolts (two on the top mount and the muffler mount bolt) and all of the mounts but the small plate attached to the top of the peg/ muffler carriers are off. I never carry a passenger on the Goose, I have a K1200LT for that sort of thing. If a reason comes up I can have the mounts off in 2-3 minutes.

I think the mounts will look pretty good once they are cleaned up and painted. They look rough now because they are rough, still subject to coming off and being changed is I come up with a better idea. I dream goal is to replicate the mounts in aluminum. That would look great with the silver bike and be a bit lighter. I need to improve my AC welding before I try that one.

Carl: Regarding Ms. Stewart's shoe obsession... Good point, I guess I should qualify my statements. Plenty of room for non-obsessive people? :grin:

Lex