New 1100 engine on EBAY

Guzzirider

On the face of it it looks like a reasonable deal. I am not sure of the price of a brand new motor but last time I heard a quote it was well over a £1000.

In fact, I have seen used motors advertised for well over a grand.

It would be worth having a chat with the seller- ask him where he got it from, how has it been stored etc.

One thought- looking at the engine paint makes me think that this motor was made at least 4 years ago- I think I am right in saying that Guzzi stopped using that grey paint in 2001 so even though he says it is new, it may have been made a while back.

He probably bought it to power a kit car project- probably a JZR or Triking. Guzzi engines are very popular to these guys.

Probably best to have a chat with hime but as usual buyer beware!

Regards

Guy

Hallo , I didi ask him about the motor and he told me that he got it from a closing dealer together with hundrents of parts. After that I guess he got it on a bargain so the price is also low. But for me it will be much more if I buy it since I'll have to travel there, pack the engine, and get it back here and that's another 500quids minimum.(or about so). Well I'll see.

There was another offer before one year at ebay for a brand new 1100motor, I think with the injectors too and was sold for 2200Euros(1500GBP)

This motor seems to be well reserved but then again if you don't see it and check it out nothing valid can be said,ebay is most times almost like a "blind date" .. :unsure:

can be a cali 1100 engine. Smaller valves?

48145[/snapback]

Should I ask for the serial number tag of the motor? Is there a way if having this number to check it out from what kind of engine is? (PS ect.ect.)

Shoudn't he have in his receipt of parts which engine is this?i.e. 1100 or Cali?

can be a cali 1100 engine. Smaller valves?

When I think of mods,I think of Paul. Hey Paul I need your advice on that.

I will have my front fork removed for changing oil and stuff, I think is a good chance to fit new steering bearings (dunno if they are worn out but since the fork will go away I think is a good chance to put some fresh ones)

Now ,I have called Agostini and they tell me they have 2 kinds of steering bearings normal ones (about 60Euros) and the inclined angle ones for 192.

So pls remind me.

The question of course is if they're worth to but, what is the reduction of the angle after these put on? Does this mean that every time I change steering bearings that I'll have to pay 190Euros or so????!! :huh2:

What do I need for bearings? should I buy the whole set or should I just look I SKF parts and that will do it, What will I need finnally?

I ask much? I know you're the Guzzi mods encyclopedia.

Thanks ALEX :bier:

Alex,

It consists of a standard skf double row roller bearing, mounted on top. On the bottom, there is a conical inside bearing, the outside ring for that is special, it's selfmade with the center out of center. I had such a set for 40.000 km, then the bottom ring was at it's end. I can send you a picture if you like. I think it's worth it. You get one degree steeper headangle, and so also 15mm less wheelbase.

I have, after 9 years opted for the dynotec frame mod, now I have two degrees steeper, and a wheelbase of 1430mm. That's 450 euro. But they are busy, so if you want that wait till the winter.

Normal steering head bearings are 5 euro at the bearing shop. it's 52x25x 16.25 mm conical. Can't remember the number.

So all options are here, only there is also the deas solution, but to expensive.

And to make it complete, a triple clampset with shorther offset is nice. ( as the WP clamps I still have)

Thanks for all these usefull answers.Though I am a little bit confused at the point of which bering should be changed.If not the complete angle steering bearings are used.

As I understood there are 2 bearings , one upper (this SKF simple type) and one at the down (conical thing)Now should I change both every time , or just the upper.?

To my example Agostini sells the original bearings for the 1100 at a price of aprox 60Euros.Now I suppose that this "original" kit includes the conical thing too.Right?

The question is , should everything be replaced ?both bearings=buy a kit (normal or short wheelbase) or just the upper SKF (found in local dealer)is taking the wear?

I will have my front fork removed in some days that's why I find a good chance to be prepeared and change the bearings too(precausionarry ,can't sence any wear when driving). If the SKF thing is the main to be changed then it can be found on the market and there would be no necessary mess to start ordering stuff.

If I decide to make this short wheel base kit I think that I'll do it next time I'll visit Agostini (probably summer)

Now the money is not the problem ,but the importand thing is the right spending of it.

The convertion bearings from Ago.

DAS Mototec sells several kits - all expensive. FrankenSport is currently sporting a Sport 1100i frame with the increased rake and a V11 Sport triple tree and the WP shocks which have the rear end a bit high. I won't go into the handling, suffice it to say that it isn't what it was before and it isn't what my Sport 1100i has. The DAS Mototec kits have various offsets to reduce trail (I think I have that right - suspension is a mystery to me) as well as the steering head angle. If you're just looking for a cost effective way to reduce the offset, then obtain a V11 Sport triple tree as it has 1 cm less than the Sport 1100i. For steeping the rake angle, I suspect that frame surgery is the most effective and maybe even the least expensive. If you're into track days and increased performance, the fork modifications make sense, but if you're just eating miles with the bike as I used to do, than the slower steering and increased stability are not such a bad thing.

I think sporti 45mm, v11 40mm?

48167[/snapback]

I think it's 35mm. I had to hacksaw off the steering lock thingy so the forks would turn. It was a pretty sizeable cut and I recall that my measurement was that the V11 Sport was a full 1 cm less than the Sport 1100i. It's and odd combination, but I'll know more about the handling after I switch back to the Sachs and bring the back end back down. Currently - I don't like the feel.

Hallo, thanks for the answer,really I don't seriouslly think of changing the trail but maybe do it for a try with these bearings perhaps latter.

The main question is,Now that I don't intent to change any rake-trail bearings but just renew the originals should I replace both or just the one (upper SKF thing)?

Thanks